Space-Saving Products for Your Small Bathroom
By on in Bathroom
Struggling to find storage space in your tiny bathroom? We’ve put together a selection of 44 space-saving products and ideas to help tackle clutter, brighten up the space and solve some of the most common problems found in small bathrooms.
Here are the four categories of space-saving products we cover:
- Wall-Mounted Storage
- Cabinet-Maximizing Storage
- Bathroom Storage Furniture
- Container Storage
We’ll also give you some ideas for stylish essentials such as towels, bath mats and shower curtains to give your small bathroom maximum impact.
Counter space is at a premium in small bathrooms; many vanities and sinks barely have enough space for toothpaste. To make matters worse, small bathrooms often have limited storage, leaving a variety of items to vie for valuable counter space.
Get clutter off the counter by hanging shelves and storage bins on the wall. Some product ideas that can help you take back your counter space are:
- Floating shelves. In addition to the products in our post 10 Floating Shelves to Create Contemporary Wall Displays, a vertical book tower is a versatile option for various items.
- Spice racks. They’re shallow enough to save space and store several bathroom items.
- Magnetic strips. Get the kind made for knife storage at a kitchen-supply store, and use them for hairpins, nail clippers and other small metal items.
- Wall-hung baskets. Hang them with the opening facing up or out.
- Wall-hung mini-cabinets. Choose ones that are shallow and serve double duty (with a mirrored door, for example).
- Towel racks. Fold towels symmetrically or roll them up to maximize style and space.
1. Mini Magnetic Strip Bulletin Board at seejanework.com organizes metallic items on one strip.
2. Uten.Silo by Dorothee Becker at vitra.com is a design classic that works as a statement wall storage piece, too.
3. Proman Spine Book and Media Tower at wayfair.com makes a versatile shelf for towels, baskets and other items.
4. Pier 1 Imports Carson Shelf Storage Baskets have a metal frame sturdy enough for wall mounting.
5. Martha Stewart Living Craft Space Wall-Mounted Open Storage at homedecoratorscollection.com has cubbies and a bar for towels.
6. Ikea Bekvam Spice Rack hold toiletries and other small items and can be painted any color.
7. AZ Home and Gifts nexxt Cubbi 3-Piece Wall Shelf at homedepot.com can be hung in any arrangement.
8. SAIC Valet Jewelry Cabinet With Mirror at cb2.com is a versatile, functional bathroom piece.
9. Organize-It Folded Towel Rack maximizes towel storage in a hotel-style design.
10. Gatco Latitude II Minimalist Towel Rack at efaucets.com combines a towel rack with a shelf for additional folded towels or stacked boxes.
Tip: Kitchen-supply stores have a variety of durable storage items that would work well in a bathroom.
One of the biggest small-bathroom problems is the depth of the vanity or cabinet. Items can get lost in the back, or the plumbing pipes create awkward spaces. Some products for maximizing awkward or deep cabinet spaces include:
- Pullout drawers. Visit the kitchen section of your home-improvement store and add these easy-to-install pullouts to your bathroom cabinets.
- Shower caddies and baskets. In addition to shower organization, shower caddies are ideal for navigating the awkward nooks and crannies around undersink plumbing, and can hold several items.
- Additional shelves. Convert tall spaces into more manageable and efficient openings. If adding permanent shelving is not possible, place two small curtain tension rods across the front and back of the opening and sit a shelf on the rods.
1. .ORG 2-Tier Mesh Expandable Under-Sink Shelf at bedbathandbeyond.com can grow with your need for storage.
2. Cook N Home 2 Piece Stainless Steel Corner Storage Shelf Set at wayfair.com is the perfect stackable shelf to keep your cabinet’s corners accesible.
3. Container Store Stackable Green Grid Totes allow you to easily find what you need.
4. Container Store Cabinet-Sized elfa Mesh Easy Gliders Solution maximizes the narrow area around under-the-sink plumbing.
5. Organize-It Over Cabinet Styling Rack with Basket will hold all your hairstyling tools in one place.
6. Simplehuman Adjustable Shower Caddy Plus is sleek and modern while being fully adjustable according to your storage needs.
7. Container Store StickOnPods are the perfect solution for holding small, light items. Don’t just stick them inside your cabinet doors; add them to mirrors and other places.
8. Design Ideas Under Shelf Mesh Basket at amazon.com can be hung on any shelf to maximize open space.
9. Container Store Silver 2-Drawer Mesh Organizer has sliders for ease.
10. Lynk Roll-Out Under-Sink Drawer at bedbathandbeyond.com is tiered to navigate around under-sink plumbing.
Tip: Get creative and use every available square inch of space for storage.
Bathroom Storage Furniture
If your small bathroom has a pedestal sink and no storage, creativity will save the day. Tall, narrow storage cabinets will take advantage of your bathroom’s height to store items. Other ideas for adding storage space are:
- A narrow cabinet over your toilet.
- Space-saving corner storage.
- Bar shelves for towels with space for baskets on top.
- Multiple towel bars. Who says you should have only one?
1. Pottery Barn Benchwright Ladder Floor Storage is an attractive, space-saving freestanding storage solution.
2. Ikea Ragrund Bamboo Chair with Towel Rack works double duty as a seat and towel holder.
3. Ikea Ragrund Bamboo Sink Shelf/Corner Shelf coordinates with the chair and makes use of neglected corners.
4. Sauder Peppercorn Bathroom Shelf at wayfair.com adds storage around unused space over the toilet.
5. Elite Home Fashions Taylor Corner Linen Tower at hayneedle.com serves as both a storage cabinet and a hamper.
6. Bed Bath and Beyond Rolling Organizer for Pedestal Sink at bedbathandbeyond.com wraps around the sink to stay out of the way until you need it.
7. Monarch Specialties Bathroom Shelf at allmodern.com has a narrow, leaning ladder-style design.
Tip: Items designed to fit in corners are the best space savers available.
Where do you house all the little things — such as cotton balls, makeup and dirty laundry — to keep the bathroom clutter-free? Answer: in attractive jars, boxes, over-the-door caddies and hampers. Here are some of the best catch-all, space-saving storage solutions:
1. Better Homes and Gardens Wicker Lidded Wedge Hamper at walmart.com fits in a corner and out of the way.
2. CB2 Format Stacking Boxes, Set of 3 are clear and capable of housing all sorts of bathroom necessities.
3. Maytex PEVA Mesh Pockets Shower Curtain at wayfair.com is a creative way to store small bathroom items.
4. West Elm Curved Storage Basket is perfect for towels, toilet paper or as an updated small hamper.
5. Cost Plus World Market Stackable Square Glass Jars with Lids artfully organize all your small items.
6. CB2 Grey Felt File Box is a freestanding storage option; stack various sizes on the floor in a tower.
7. Ikea Hyfs Boot Box is designed for footwear but can be used for storage; it has a clear window for organizing.
8. CB2 4-Piece Tower Stacking Box Set catches smaller items such as jewelry functionally and fashionably.
9. Door Solutions Over the Door Mirror and Cosmetic Organizer at bedbathandbeyond.com is the ultimate storage convenience. Best of all, it hangs out of the way, behind the door.
10. Asiaphile Buntal Granite Toiletry Set at betweenthesheetsinc.com combines handmade fiber craft with an elegant, modern design to display toiletries beautifully.
Tip: Label your jars and boxes to make finding what you need easy.
Now that you’ve gotten your storage solutions in order, you can focus on the fun stuff. Just because your bathroom is small doesn’t mean it can’t be big on style. Pops of color and texture distract the eye from problem areas by focusing on what’s right. Some great ways to add style to a small bathroom include:
- A bold shower curtain.
- A textured bath mat.
- Fun accent towels.
1. West Elm Organic Woodgrain Towels have an unusual (and fashion-forward) pattern.
2. Bed Bath and Beyond Razor Shower Curtain at bedbathandbeyond.com is on-trend in color-of-the-moment gray and a graphic chevron design.
3. Target Threshold Chevron Textured Towel repeats the subtle chevron texture. Layer this pattern with solid print towels for depth.
4. Intelligent Design Clara Microfiber Shower Curtain at allmodern.com is durable and interestingly patterned.
5. Privet House Pebble Bath Mat has a luxurious knobby texture inspired by river rocks.
6. Stitched on the Avenue Custom Modern Stacked Monogram Towels update the art of monogramming for the 21st century.
7. Crate and Barrel Italian Seersucker Blue Shower Curtain has a fluid, graphic pattern perfect for most color palettes.
Tip: Add pops of color and texture in a three-color palette. Regardless of whether the colors are contrasting or a monochromatic variation, a three-color combination creates visual impact.
We hope these products, ideas and tips have inspired you to freshen up your small bathroom. It’s easy to make it functional, organized and beautiful; simply pick your favorites and give your bathroom a well-deserved makeover.