World's Most Imposing Wooden Structure: Metropol Parasol in Spain

World’s Most Imposing Wooden Structure: Metropol Parasol in Spain

The Metropol Parasol, Sevilla’s newest landmark, was completed in April 2011 and according to Yatzer, will serve as an archaeological site, will accommodate a farmers’ market, an elevated plaza as well as multiple bars and restaurants. The dimensions of this giant waffle-like structure are truly impressive: a building area of 5,000 square meters, a total floor area of 12,670 square meters, a height of 28.50 and 4 levels. The costs for such a city-symbol? 90 Million Euro. All these make the Metropol Parasol in Spain the world’s largest wooden structure. Designed by J. MAYER H. Architects, the project composed of undulating parasols is part of the redesigning process of the Plaza de la Encarnacíon and is sure to attract plenty of visitors. We are anxious to find out what is your personal opinion on this structure. [Photos by David Franck]

• Laura Driha May 18, 2011 at 12:53 PMLogin to Reply →

I, as a constructions enginner think that structure is everything but not easy to calculate!
    Looks WOW!

• Kat at Steuben May 18, 2011 at 14:21 PMLogin to Reply →

Awe inspiring. The dance of light and shadow on the ground adds an element of performance art to a delightful visual experience. Truly gorgeous.

• João Silva May 18, 2011 at 14:50 PMLogin to Reply →

is that new wood or recycled!?

I like it … it’s awesome .. don’t get me wrong …

I hope that’s not new wood :(

• Chris May 18, 2011 at 16:38 PMLogin to Reply →

João, it’s probably new wood, but why is that a problem?

The wood is probably from one of the many sustainable forestry regions of Europe.

Scandinavia is a prime source of renewable and sustainable forest products. There’s no shame in using it if there’s a balance. It’s better than mining for steel.

• João Silva May 18, 2011 at 18:48 PMLogin to Reply →

good point ;) hope you’re right … it just came to mind and left a strange bad feeling, that such an amazing structure may have cause some damage … to little information for me to really appreciate the work done … the first thing that came into my mind was “it huge, amazing, so mush wood … were did it all came from?”

I like it any way :)

• Social Tailor May 18, 2011 at 22:04 PMLogin to Reply →

Awe inspiring, truly gorgeous – every angle holds a new delight. The refraction of light, the appreciation of curvature and movement in a solid structure – it’s lack of permanence worries me – what will happen with erosion?

I now want that next step to be an upright human form to be the external image and shape for a multiple dwelling – or even a bowed or kneeling body to be maybe only 3 stories high… do I dream or is it round the corner?

• Największa struktura z drewna | Wood Design - Wnętrza, Design, Natura May 19, 2011 at 07:41 AMLogin to Reply →

[…] Źródło […]

• Sevillában található a világ legnagyobb faszerkezetű építménye « I LOVE WOOD May 24, 2011 at 17:25 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] Forrás: freshome.com […]