Decorating Potholes of The City Using Colourful Fabric

Decorating Potholes of The City Using Colourful Fabric

Juliana Santacruz Herrera decided the streets of Paris were too gloomy and needed a little fresh touch. With these in mind she came up with the concept of decorating the potholes of the city using colorful strips of fabric. These were placed randomly in shallow breaks and cracks, creating a fun and colorful change in the landscape. The artist’s visual intervention brings a happy touch to the gray streets of Paris and creates a fun and appealing contrast with the dark cement. But what if we were to take this idea further? If you like how this photos look, perhaps you could use them as a source of inspiration when it comes to patching up your own courtyard, patio and so on. Sounds practical?

• Mie April 26, 2011 at 11:02 AMLogin to Reply →

That’s is a good idea. but it doesn’t really appropriate for road. it will be dirty when someone or something pass it. And finally that fabric will break.. may be it can change with other material which same like the road but have same form and color like the fabric..

• Stan @ Bench Reviews April 26, 2011 at 11:15 AMLogin to Reply →

Maybe this could be a reminder to the government that these holes need repaired!?! I remember as a kid we had a pothole so big near our house that I put a sign in it that said “China” with an arrow pointing down. Didn’t seem to help speed things up though.

Stan Horst
    Publisher: BetterBenches.com

• Larry Baldwin April 26, 2011 at 11:32 AMLogin to Reply →

LoL. Very good ideea ! I wounder how many holes are ? Has enough material to fill all of them ?

• Morle Evan April 26, 2011 at 12:00 PMLogin to Reply →

Actually this is a good idea. But I had one doubt, in rainy reason are not the clothes come out side? Any way thanks for posting this.

• Annette April 26, 2011 at 13:21 PMLogin to Reply →

Not practical but pretty. at least at the start. Fill it up with resin maybe? To make it hard and durable without getting soggy and dirty.

Or use Lego like this one artist (whose name I forgot) does to reconstruct walls and such.

• April 26, 2011 at 13:32 PMLogin to Reply →

There is a similar projet filling cracks in walls with LEGO bricks. Love the colours lightning up those gray cities.

• Emily April 26, 2011 at 16:50 PMLogin to Reply →

They’d hold a lot of water, which expands when frozen. I’m afraid that they would do more damage to a road than just an empty pothole.

• Schlagloch-Stickereien von Juliana Santacruz Herrera > Baukunst, Design und so, Streetstyle > bunt paris, colorful fabric, Potholes, wolle April 27, 2011 at 12:08 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] [via] Tweet Tags:bunt paris, colorful fabric, Potholes, wolle […]

• Juliana Santacruz Herrera made Paris more colorful « Look What I Found For Us April 27, 2011 at 14:58 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] C L I C K    H E R E […]

• KennLeo April 27, 2011 at 17:13 PMLogin to Reply →

I think you guys are referring to the ‘Dispatchwork’ project by Artist Jan Vormann?

Aesthetically, this is of course better than the rigid Lego bricks. But, it still fall short on the practical side. It may be hard to balance out the scale, but maybe over time someone will come out with an idea to overcome all of these issues.

• Mark Stratton April 27, 2011 at 17:24 PMLogin to Reply →

A) you people commenting on the durability of the fabric are missing the point – this is ‘art’. And you are dolts.

B) This idea has been done a hundred times before. It’s played. The ‘artist’ just reinterpreted something they saw.
    I’m not trying to start a conversation about inspiration versus imitation… this is obviously a rip off idea and the artist knows it.

• Cosy Potholes | All Things Appealing April 27, 2011 at 19:11 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] Via Freshome. […]

• Charlie April 28, 2011 at 19:21 PMLogin to Reply →

Mark, are you seriously suggesting that only “original” art (whatever that is) is worthwhile? When you find one type of artwork that nobody’s ever done before, you let me know. Everything is derivative.

• J April 29, 2011 at 04:07 AMLogin to Reply →

@Emily –
    You’re retarded, right? It’s art, not an asphalt filler.

• Emily April 29, 2011 at 08:59 AMLogin to Reply →

@J

Oh, my bad. I totally forgot that art was allowed to harm public property. Or is that vandalism?

I’m totally retarded. I’m mentally retarded and have difficulties grasping abstract concepts like bullshit.

No, I’m not. I’m a special ed teacher. Thanks for being so offensive.

By the way? Sidewalk chalk could’ve done this as effectively and posed less of an environmental hazard. Yes, I said it.

• Mark Stratton April 29, 2011 at 14:31 PMLogin to Reply →

Charlie,
    Perhaps I was a little harsh. I agree that all art is derivative to some extent…

And although the ‘beautifying urban space’ thing has been done a bunch, I guess what bothers me most about this piece is that the execution is kind of ugly (in my opinion).

The colors clash and as a whole it resembles pages from a ‘Learning about the Large Intestine and Other Fun Organs’ coloring book.

• Decorating Potholes of The City Using Colourful Fabric | Eat.Sleep.Work. May 5, 2011 at 16:17 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] Someone should try this in LA! Don’t be surprised if you see this on the the streets of LA soon. Check out more decorated potholes via: Colorful Fabric […]

• Disney May 17, 2011 at 09:58 AMLogin to Reply →

Kudos! What a neat way of thkninig about it.

• Tobias Reber June 16, 2011 at 21:29 PMLogin to Reply →

“Fitch drew the cutter again along the split. A spray of concrete dust and blood mist dirtied him. (…) Guts oozed from the hole. Intestinal coils, purple and bloodied, boiled up wetly in a meat mass. Billy had thought the entrails of the city would be its torn-up under-earth (…), had thought Fitch would bring up a corner of wires, worms and plumbing to interpret. The literalism of this knack shocked him.” – China Miéville, “Kraken”

• Colorful Potholes « Heatherjwolf's Blog June 28, 2011 at 05:00 AMLogin to Reply →

[…] More photos and full article here! […]