Kitchen

iPhone Controlled Kitchen Island Hides in the Floor When Not Needed [Video]

advertise here

Even though this may seem like an illusionist’s act, the kitchen island in the video below is as real as it gets. Tim Thaler needed a versatile kitchen that could provide plenty of space, but in the same time wanted an island for storage. In a mind quest for how to do both, he came up with the ingenious solution of having a retractable kitchen island. Here is Tim’s description of the project: This is my kitchen island, below is an unfinished utility/storage room. A hydraulic scissor lift is at bolted to the cement, and then a small frame is built on top of the scissor lift table. On top of that is a subfloor, flooring, and then the island. The cabinet doors are on the other side, and have safety push button switches that kill the electricity from the Smart Home Insteon switches, and prevent it from moving when the doors are not fully closed. This lift can easily lift over 1,500lbs, so it was an important safety feature! Please comment if you are interested in seeing the inner workings of this. Believe it or not. I used IKEA boxes and hardware with custom walnut fronts built by Scherrs.Be sure to have a look at the video below to see how this fascinating design goes in and out of the floor at a touch of a button.

• Laura Driha March 22, 2011 at 11:23 AM Login to Reply →

OMG!! FASCINATING!!!
    My husband will adore this… I love it!!

• Warren March 22, 2011 at 19:21 PM Login to Reply →

Nice idea there!!

• Rock W March 22, 2011 at 20:38 PM Login to Reply →

I needed this for my bed in college…

• kecia deveney March 22, 2011 at 21:52 PM Login to Reply →

wow, so ingenious! i’m very limited for space in my kitchen and while i love my island, there are times when it’s just in the way! perfect solution!

• Dirty March 23, 2011 at 01:29 AM Login to Reply →

Just what I always wanted, a place to eat my food where I just got done walking!

• J March 24, 2011 at 03:54 AM Login to Reply →

I agree with dirty, why would I want to prepare food I am bout to eat on the same surface that has been walked all over all day.

• mafik March 24, 2011 at 08:37 AM Login to Reply →

awesome! and what about the iphone part of the project? how did you make that work?

• ryanknapper March 24, 2011 at 14:26 PM Login to Reply →

So I need four feet of space under my kitchen reserved to house this thing?

• ruru117 June 8, 2011 at 14:47 PM Login to Reply →

um to the people who are saying its dirty as u probly did not notice its being coverd by thick plastic sheets soo yeh nothing dirty bout that !!!