McDonald's Redesign: a New Era for Fast-Food Restaurants

McDonald’s Redesign: a New Era for Fast-Food Restaurants

McDonald`s is undergoing a process of redesign. The new concept is revolving around the idea of a community centre, a place for young people to hang out. In order to have McDonald`s cope with the trend of slow-food, they had to start paying more attention to showcasing and the eating experience. France was the first country to have a redesigned McDonald`s. With this change, McDonald`s tries to add young adults and professionals to their core customers and that is why all the plastic will be replaced with clean and modern lines, wood, brick and softer lighting from modern lamps. The signature mansard roof is being replaced by a flat roof topped and a newly designed golden sloping curve. The emblematic red and yellow colours will be revamped to terra cotta, olive and sage green.

There is a design line kept in all renovations but every location has its own interior designer. Three of the UK restaurants are in the portfolio of SHH: the flagship restaurant in the UK, McDonald`s Norwich and McDonald`s West Thurrock.  In New York, McDonald`s uses reproductions of Danish designer Arne Jacobsen’s Egg chair to give the restaurant a futuristic look.

Three major areas will give customers more choices:  a “linger” area that features comfortable armchairs and sofas and Wi-Fi connections, a bar-like area – “the grab and go zone” with Plasma TVs for the people that eat alone, and the “family zone” where families can enjoy the meals in a colourful environment with fabric cushions and flexible seating. McDonald`s began redesigning their restaurants in the UK and US. An estimate of 7,000 US restaurants will be rebuilt or modernised. The company has decided to a new three dimensions approach to their expansion: menu changes, store renovations and a new ordering experience. The design process was based on the idea that: “People eat with their eyes first. If you have a restaurant that is appealing, contemporary, and relevant both from the street and interior, the food tastes better.” – president and COO Don Thompson.

• Chicago mac
  • WestTK_01
  • WestTK_02
  • WestTK_03
  • WestTK_04
  • WestTK_05

• Ellis Benus September 23, 2010 at 12:09 PM Login to Reply →

Now, if only their food would become as healthy for us as their restaurants look pretty…

• Paul Conrad September 23, 2010 at 13:13 PM Login to Reply →

It would be nicer if they would put the same amount of attention into reducing their packaging and recycling their garbage.

• lis September 23, 2010 at 14:40 PM Login to Reply →

They recently renovated a McDonalds near me. Unfortunately, they seem to have forgotten that it is still located directly next to a train station and across from a homeless shelter. It’s very gorgeous inside, but the loiterers remain the same. Nobody really wants to “hang out” there.

• Ana Paula September 23, 2010 at 19:05 PM Login to Reply →

Who have time to stay and eat?

• Dave Wildman September 28, 2010 at 10:11 AM Login to Reply →

God help us. For anyone who hasn’t please read the Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan and then begin to understand the power that McDonalds’ wields as the omnipotent power in the industrial food system.

• skip May 9, 2011 at 18:15 PM Login to Reply →

when is George Jetson going to come walking in. I think it is too far over the top.

• D H Zielinski May 9, 2011 at 18:37 PM Login to Reply →

These changes take me back to the sixties when the new ” egg” chair ” first popped on the scene, and the red and gold arc’s were the thing. All of this furniture and retro junk would is less of what’s needed at the Mac’s I know. They should concentrate on service and quality of the food, not spending more bucks on looking new in a very sixties way!

• Charles Bennett May 9, 2011 at 18:40 PM Login to Reply →

I live in Summerville Ga. and we are getting a new store could you tell me which design we are getting i like the new look’s , Thank You Charles Bennett

• Gale May 9, 2011 at 18:42 PM Login to Reply →

Looks a bit retro-modern. I really don’t go to McDonalds for the decor. I go for the convenience. I’m not even particularly fond of their food, too over processed for my tastes. But my kids insist on going there. I miss the days of the old mom and pop burger joints, where you could get a real hamburger, with a thick beef patty and all the fixins’, ah, those were the days.

• Samantha May 9, 2011 at 18:43 PM Login to Reply →

Too bad they didn’t reinvest all that money into dieticians who could devise nutritious and inexpensive meals, healthy for adults and kids alike. As the on]ld saying goes, never judge a book by it’s cover. In this case the contents are still on par with the trashy “dime paperbacks”.

• Lish May 9, 2011 at 18:45 PM Login to Reply →

Nothing lasts forever, and Mickey D. must always be aware of their bottome line. However, had they consulted me about the change, I would have had a thumbs down. Perhaps, a change in menu would have a similar “draw in.” Mickey see, Mickey do was not a great decision, regardless of Starbucks, et al. You can guess by now that I like the McDonald’s architecture as is. Now, changes in the menu is a different story.

• bob flora May 9, 2011 at 18:49 PM Login to Reply →

Excellent planning by McDonald’s, I visit my store at least 5 times a week and enjoy the meeting and eating area where you can see a multi age group gathering most of the day. The drive thru is a most convenient place to get great food and get back to taking care of my wife. I am very proud at what McDonald’s is doing and look forward to the future of a truly great American corporation.

• angela woods May 9, 2011 at 19:01 PM Login to Reply →

I am sooo happy I read the whole article on this because I had a “few choice words” to say that was not pretty. I have an Autistic child who LOVES your restaurant, to DEATH!! I looked at the pictures in the article, that I adore them, it looks like a winner!! KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DO!!

• Dale May 9, 2011 at 19:05 PM Login to Reply →

I thought they were getting rid of the yellow and red, yet every single one of those pictures of the “proposed” or already done McDonald’s shows red and yellow as key elements???

Either the writer of this article didn’t care to verify the information or McDonald’s is NOT moving away from the boring and startling colors it has used to “spark” our appetites for the past 50 years.

Also, I found it interesting that the food giant would put so much time, effort and money into revamping it’s restaurants, yet so little effort in improving the overall healthiness of it’s food. I would imagine people much rather eat healthier McD’s food in the old surroundings than eat the same fattening food in a new environment……..but then again, check out the latest obesity statistics and I guess I’m wrong.

• lori May 9, 2011 at 19:10 PM Login to Reply →

recommend: do not change the golden arches that has lead people to mcdon’s for all these years. also do not underestimate the demand for nostalgia. changing the interior to look like a sushi bar is not the answer to a renewed interest in mcdonalds. vancouver has a beautiful outside design, but it is tradition and the food that keeps people coming back!!

• Michael Simmons May 9, 2011 at 19:18 PM Login to Reply →

this McDonald’s look just like the one in Chicago in the loop. I thought when walking in that McD, that is was a good look for them. Good Luck McDonalds!!

• David May 9, 2011 at 19:20 PM Login to Reply →

So cold and STERILE. Maybe at least the food will be warm.

• Susan Fox May 9, 2011 at 19:30 PM Login to Reply →

I think it’s time for Mac Donald gets a make-over. Every thing I seen looked great.

• ken May 9, 2011 at 19:33 PM Login to Reply →

Why do alot of you people wine about the nutritional content of there food. If you dont like it DONT GO THERE. Dont worry about what other people eat, Its NOT your business. There not trying to trick anyone with there nutritional values, its the customers choice to go there or not. So go eat your veggie burger and shut up.

• Natalie May 9, 2011 at 19:34 PM Login to Reply →

Hate it!!! it is to impersonal, mass produced, assembly line look, were is the warmth and inviting your family in to feel right about being there, and what ever happened to having a place for the kids….I HATE THE STAIL crappy desighn and feel.

• Bobby May 9, 2011 at 19:35 PM Login to Reply →

Who cares! just give me a Big Mac!!!!!! Personally, I like the older version with the white bags with just the yellow arch on it. Stop wasting money on things the public can care less about, and focus on the food quality. Just a bunch of kids hanging at Mcd’s anyway, I’m sure they can care less what the place looks like.

• Linda May 9, 2011 at 19:35 PM Login to Reply →

This is a great idea, as I remember the first McDonalds that we had to eat in the car with no choice of either in or out eating. Over the years (which is normal) there has been a lot of change but I think this by far is the best idea yet! I hope one of these new designs starts here in Denver Colorado. Good luck and best designs to come.

• Carolyn May 9, 2011 at 19:36 PM Login to Reply →

I love it. It is fresh,appealing and awsome. It really invites you to come and enjoy great fast food. I am former employee from the 70’s and I love the layout,so spacious and bright.

• ken May 9, 2011 at 19:38 PM Login to Reply →

Next …… if these photos are there new decor, I think it stinks. How can a sixties look, look new and comfortable? In some of the photos it shows an upstairs eating area, I remember about two places i seen like that and the upstairs was dirty and nasty ( outta site outta mind). Most Mcdonalds are for the most part clean but sometimes they get lax on the tables farther away, so another unsupervised floor is a Bad idea.

• M.I. Coleman May 9, 2011 at 19:40 PM Login to Reply →

Like what I see – go far it. But remember there are
    old folk who stell love your food …now that you have oatmeal. smile. plus we use our computers in your stores. please include us in your designs.

• ken May 9, 2011 at 19:45 PM Login to Reply →

Next …. mebig nu …. I think there menu is fine, when they add items they add items if you like them you like them if not you go somewhere else. he only thing I would change is some of there prices. EX …. Mcdouble $1.00 ……. Big Mac almost $4,00 only diff is sauce, lettece, and 1/2 a bun for $3.00 more, my son orders the Mcdouble with no K n M adds Let n Sauce and its still only $1.00 all he is missing is the 1/2 a bun. I think they should use more common sense in pricing. Maybe rasie the double to a $1.39 lower the Big sandwichs like Macs n 1/4 LBers to 2.69 something like that.

• Judy Lester May 9, 2011 at 19:46 PM Login to Reply →

The redesign examples do not look friendly and inviting to me…..they look stark and uninviting. I don’t like the color combinations.

• […] isn’t McDonald’s first redesign effort, (see here and here) but the Tampa model is serving as a standard for what 800 other franchises will look like […]

• Posie May 9, 2011 at 19:56 PM Login to Reply →

I hope McDonalds has the good sense to hire American workers and not just the cheapest labor they can find.
    I really don’t care to much what the decor is since I usually eat my Oatmeal in the car.

• David May 9, 2011 at 19:56 PM Login to Reply →

Can we say hospital cafeteria?!! Yuck! Not appealing at all. Instead of spending money on redesigning, why not invest in better chef’s to make healthier and tastier food?

• manuel lopez May 9, 2011 at 19:57 PM Login to Reply →

maybe add dvd (blue ray) payers to the launge area this way customers can rent a movie from the red box and watch it right then and there while enjoying their big mac/happy meals (while its still warm). Would work great for families with kids. “come on kids, watch the movie……..eat your food!!!”

• binx May 9, 2011 at 20:00 PM Login to Reply →

So what do we do with our children? I will change to Burger King or Carls Jr instead if this happens to our McDonalds… It is supposed to be a family restaurant and we already have to many Starbucks that they are having to lay off people and close their stores… You people dont have a clue….

• Brianni May 9, 2011 at 20:09 PM Login to Reply →

This new renovation would look fantastic. Splendid Idea. Bravo!

• Bob May 9, 2011 at 20:16 PM Login to Reply →

All looks great with the new makeover but were are the skull and crossbone,s that come with this food ?

• DMS May 9, 2011 at 20:16 PM Login to Reply →

I’ve been going to McD’s for 50+ years – no need to spend the money on redesign – use it to develop more healthy foods on your menu.

• clint May 9, 2011 at 20:21 PM Login to Reply →

how about taking the billion bucks and feed starving children in America

• misty May 9, 2011 at 20:22 PM Login to Reply →

I’m moving into mcdonalds, yeah buddy! That’s all fine and dandy, let them spend their billions, as long as they don’t change their food.

Free Cable, Reclining chairs, heck yeah!

• Suzanne M. Harrison May 9, 2011 at 20:24 PM Login to Reply →

Redesigns for interior is totallly fab for colors, seating and the dividing walls. The television a real plus! It looks wonderful very refreshing.

• Nancy Popailo May 9, 2011 at 20:28 PM Login to Reply →

I have read about some of the changes that you are making with your stores. I understand that you are changing the seating, colors and feel of each restaurant.

Well, in my opinion, most of the changes seem to be good ones. But to do the restaurants in green, just doesn’t seem like a good idea. Although green seems to be a very popular color as of late, it seems too dull and boring for a McDonalds restaurant. Your slogan used to be that McDonalds is a happy place. Well, green isn’t a happy color. It just doesn’t fit. Another thing is the continuous seating that I see in the pictures. I hope not all of the seating isn’t like that. That is OK if you have a large party, but if I am sitting with my family, I certainly do not want a strangers family that close to mine while we are trying to have a pleasant dinner together. It is too clostrophobic and too intrusive.

I hope you actually read my comments.

Nancy Popailo

• A.J. May 9, 2011 at 20:39 PM Login to Reply →

There’s way too much Red and Yellow for a company that is spending a Billion Dollars to get rid of red and yellow. Where is the terra cotta, Sage and green? The suggested revamp and the reasons for it and appropriate and welcome. The colors illustrated here are garrish. The style and the concept are great.

• Kathy May 9, 2011 at 20:43 PM Login to Reply →

It looks nice. But they need to hire more people when they do this. No lay offs. Better wages because prices of living is going up. make it something to be proud of. Maybe 1 day for a hour or two give free $ 1.00 hamburgers to the homeless people. Be part of a new world. Give to the USA. Mc Donalds can afford it. Plus they need to work on there food. TV shows good food so make it good not cheap. Thank you for letting me speak my peace.

• jane May 9, 2011 at 20:46 PM Login to Reply →

This is horrible….it looks like a space-aged version of crapy-dees. They need to get back to basics and serve the old-school menu from the 70’s and go back to the drive up version they had in the 60’s. The food was wayyy better and didn’t have all this healthy crap on the menu. IT’S FAST FOOD PEOPLE ! If you want to eat healthy-stay HOME !!!!

This STINKS !

• Dennis May 9, 2011 at 20:47 PM Login to Reply →

Remember when Coke changed something that worked? Good Luck McD..

• jayson May 9, 2011 at 20:52 PM Login to Reply →

waste money.
    fix food first . stop copy chick-fil-a with milk shake and chicken items .
    i want fresh food not frozen.

• Yes May 9, 2011 at 21:09 PM Login to Reply →

I can’t Believe the people that insist on healthy food from McDonalds. READ THIS CAREFULLY!!! “IT’S A HAMBURGER PLACE!!! Did Y.O.U. GET THAT?!?!?! A HAMBURGER PLACE!!! Should I REPEAT?!?! We the Grease Eaters of the World, don’t want it changed, we want it back the way it was..Fried with plenty of Grease!!! We are tired of your Salmonella tainted Vegatables entering our domain. If you Health quacks dont like it, go to a place that serves salmonella carrot sticks and stop trying to change what others like!!

• eve May 9, 2011 at 21:10 PM Login to Reply →

if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it………. what a waste of money that you could be doing so much good with;~(

• John May 9, 2011 at 21:15 PM Login to Reply →

I think it looks like a bus station. I don’t see anything that makes me want to eat. It is hard and cold. Yep, futuristic – like 1984.

• Steve May 9, 2011 at 21:15 PM Login to Reply →

They’ve come a long way since the 1970’s when they use to post signs all over the place that you could only sit in the restaurant for 30 minutes maximum!

• maryann vitale May 9, 2011 at 21:19 PM Login to Reply →

the new design changes look very trendy, somewhat formal. mcdonalds is nostalgia, memories of good
    times past. what is wrong with memories. rather than
    spend millions on redesign, dedication should be instilled to your employees. pleasant and couteous
    associates should be serving your customers, and
    accuracy in food orders- especially at the drive-thru that should be the areas you revamp. customer service is in much need of improvement. I was a teenager when the first mcdonalds came to massachusetts, frequented it often, brought my
    children there often, now take my grandchildren
    there often. the golden arches are symbolic, a constant, reconstruct what needs to be improved.

• Felix Escalante May 9, 2011 at 21:27 PM Login to Reply →

I have my douts most peoples will like the new desaigns, we are used to go to Mcdonals as we are, we may think we are going to have to go dressed up.

• cd May 9, 2011 at 21:38 PM Login to Reply →

I love it! What a great idea. It is totally awesome looking, more inviting, and great for the younger crowd. Also, as they usually don’t have anywhere to “hang out”, this is a good thing. And as for the food, please people, McDonalds would not be McDonalds without the great taste of the food they serve. If you are so worried about “nutritous” food, go to a health food store, and try to find some fun there! Or better yet, go see a nutritionist! No one is forcing you to go to McDonalds. If you are a health food nut, why would you be going there in the first place? McDonalds–don’t ever change, cause I’m lovin it!

• philippe May 9, 2011 at 21:40 PM Login to Reply →

ok save some money,,, just let starbucks start making hamboogies

• dianna May 9, 2011 at 21:43 PM Login to Reply →

The nicest McDonald’s is located on West Ridge Road in Greece NY. Very modern with flat screen TV’s as well as a fireplace. Just beautiful!

• dianna May 9, 2011 at 21:50 PM Login to Reply →

The nicest McDonald’s that I have seen is on West Ridge Road in Greece, NY. Very modern with flat screen TV’s and a fireplace. Beautiful!

• Kristen May 9, 2011 at 21:54 PM Login to Reply →

This look will be out of place with mexican workers, cheaply made food, and even in certain neighborhoods it will look out of place. Their only real market is with kids who want the toys and now they are being ostrasized.

• mm May 9, 2011 at 21:57 PM Login to Reply →

Too modern!!!! Cold atmosphere!! Nothing like STARBUCKS!!!

• Bruce May 9, 2011 at 22:11 PM Login to Reply →

I can understand if they want to remodel for a new look however comfort took a back seat to good looks here. I’ve sat in one of these redesigned Mickey D’s and it’s quite uncomfortable. You won’t be spending much time there. The one by me has all hard wooden seats. Hey,look at it as a throwback. We’ll all be eating in our cars once again!

• Bob Dugan May 9, 2011 at 22:19 PM Login to Reply →

Reminds me of PSA waiting rooms back in the late 70’s early 80’s. Guess what’s old is now new but the colours are the same folks…

• Cindy Hotchkiss May 9, 2011 at 22:31 PM Login to Reply →

It reminds me to much of a school feel. Not what kids and young adults want when they spend a good portion of their young lives in school. They need a break away from it.

Just my feelings personally though.

• Bob May 9, 2011 at 22:44 PM Login to Reply →

A new look would be welcome, but more welcome would be a menu that doesn’t contribute to the obesity problems (high calorie, low nutrition) America faces, and the health issues from eating often greasy, high cholesterol hamburgers and fries.

• Kate May 9, 2011 at 22:50 PM Login to Reply →

If it walks like a duck..and quacks like a duck..it’s a duck. It will never go over well.

• G Money May 9, 2011 at 23:00 PM Login to Reply →

I agree with mm. Besides, if it ain’t broke, why fix it. They are #1!

• K May 9, 2011 at 23:08 PM Login to Reply →

if they eliminate the drive through, I will never go to Mickey D’s again!!!!!

• This is the same regurgitated, obnoxious interior design we have seen for decades at McDonald’s, ever since some slime consultant claimed shorter stays yielded more profits.

The people who eat there are NOT emaciated models or the we’re-better-than-you thin set.

TINY, UNCOMFORTABLE FURNITURE:

* Stools;
    * “Chairs” with no backs;
    * Unpadded booths and chairs, or useless decoration padding only on the back;
    * Cubes for chairs;
    * Tiny Eurotrash tables not even suitable for one person;
    * etc.

You can sprinkle as much glitter as you want on this nonsense: IT IS ALL DESIGNED TO GET YOU OUT OF THERE WITHIN 15 MINUTES.

• Shari May 9, 2011 at 23:13 PM Login to Reply →

It’s about time, I always thought that child atmosphere was tacky. Glad the Kids play area is GONE!

• steve May 9, 2011 at 23:13 PM Login to Reply →

Instead of upgrading the look and feel of the brick and mortar they should invest in upgrading the look and taste of the food. You have a better chance at hitting it big in Vegas than you do at getting fresh food at McDs.

• Phyllis May 9, 2011 at 23:18 PM Login to Reply →

I wish that McDonald’s would completely change/upgrade/remodel the McDonald’s restaurant at 115th and Pulaski in Alsip, Illinois. It’s the oldest standing McDonald’s and it looks absolutely horrible. It is not eye-appealing at all with cracking paint and dirty-looking, it’s falling apart at the seams. I only eat there when I absolutely have to as it’s not very user friendly at all. It needs a complete make over really bad. PLEASE anyone from McDonald’s reading this, please, please, please take a look at this store and you’ll see what I’m talking about. The owner won’t invest the money (he’s all about keeping the money in his own pockets), but this store is greatly in need of an overhaul. This location makes good money for McDonald’s and deserves the complete overhaul that is needed. PLEASE!!!

• Ruby May 9, 2011 at 23:44 PM Login to Reply →

I’ve read, if it’s not broke, don’t fix it? Well Folks it’s Broke. MickyD is obviously losing sales or they wouldn’t be investing A cool Billion. My suggestion is to have a training center too teach their employees how to speak English. Remember that Language? It was the one we used to use. I quit going to my McDonald’s After it was impossible to convey my order. Also The Policy they have is after it sits for a while chuck it, not reheat it. Every time I went , I got a horrible reheat Job. You bring it back with food in your mouth pissed and they look at you like Huh? Como? Que? So I quit going. Enough is Enough. TRAINING IS THE ANSWER NOT NEW CHAIRS.

• k.-c. May 9, 2011 at 23:45 PM Login to Reply →

i like this alot it’s about time!!!!!!!!!

• ken May 10, 2011 at 00:00 AM Login to Reply →

love the new look why not put starbucks in mcdonalds? Dont forget pennsylvania central when doing your remodel. Our area is ass backward but we still need to be modernized.

• Pat May 10, 2011 at 00:10 AM Login to Reply →

Hideous.

• GiccoNY May 10, 2011 at 00:18 AM Login to Reply →

The best coffee is New York Coffee Fappé

• Chuck May 10, 2011 at 00:51 AM Login to Reply →

Now if they could only improve the food. Plus bring back poeple who care that serve it and cook it. Fast is one thing but so fast that the greese leaks through the boxes and bags. Servers do not care how bad your day was, they just want to move on to the next customer. The food is cold half the time the bun is stale and the servers do not speak english and they do not care. that is the bottom line.

PS. Where did the smile go? We don’t even get that anymore.

• shawna May 10, 2011 at 01:49 AM Login to Reply →

i dont think in all places it will be neccessary ppl dont kno how to take care of things

• D. D. Bogard May 10, 2011 at 02:15 AM Login to Reply →

I go to Mcdonalds in Green Valley, Arizona. There are 22 of us each morning. This has been going on for over 12 years. I’ve been here five. We wonder each and every day, even discuss the remodeling of “our”
    store. Please hurry and remodel this store. Also we would like a special place for our consumption of your
    products.

DDB

• Dee May 10, 2011 at 02:15 AM Login to Reply →

What are the bathrooms like? That’s the only reason I can think of why I would go into a mcdonalds at all.

• tiffany May 10, 2011 at 02:28 AM Login to Reply →

wayy too fancy for a mcdonalds..

• SnowMyth May 10, 2011 at 02:45 AM Login to Reply →

I would rather (and in fact do) drive the farther distance to go to Burger King, Wendy’s or Starbucks rather than down the block to McDonalds. Their food sucks.

• Slade Austin May 10, 2011 at 02:53 AM Login to Reply →

Exterior design is just as important as interior design so do not forget that.

But what I would like to see most is for you work on getting rid of high fat, high calorie processed food and replacing it with healthy food.

• Frostie May 10, 2011 at 03:12 AM Login to Reply →

In this BedBug era – companies should stay away from
    any seating that can harbor the infestations.

• Vaughn May 10, 2011 at 03:36 AM Login to Reply →

NOTHING LIKE STARBUCK,COFFEE SUCKS,FOOD AND SERVICE HAS ALOT TO BE DESIRED,TRY AGAIN MCDONALDS

• Yogi May 10, 2011 at 04:05 AM Login to Reply →

Oh Don…
    I am pretty sure the food will taste the same, cheap and greasy.
    But for what it is worth, my “eyes” don’t want to eat there either!
    It looks like the seventies ate some pop-rocks candy and the eighties “sci-fi genre” dared the fifties to drink some coke with it and this is what was spit up!

• Eva L May 10, 2011 at 04:36 AM Login to Reply →

Nice… But you’re still putting crap in your body

• shell May 10, 2011 at 04:36 AM Login to Reply →

If it wasn’t “broken”, then they wouldn’t “fix” it. McD is obviously seeing Starbucks & Chipotle as huge competitors, taking away some of their business (and from fast food in general). I agree that they fail to see Chipolte’s appeal as being fresh & healthier options. That would be one way to go for them…but it seems they don’t see the loss in customers due to that reason.

A big success for McD was their coffee menu, not their “healthier” choices, which is no doubt why they see a need to compete with Starbucks when it comes to atmosphere. The longer someone hangs around with their laptop for free WiFi, the more coffee they buy. Then they get hungry and buy a burger. They wouldn’t be there in the first place if they wanted healthy grub.

As for those stuck in the past & inclined to dislike anything new, many people do not go to McDs for a “nostalgic environment”. They go there for quick, tasty junk food. Younger people don’t know or care about the past. Their sense of what is appealing is based on establishments like Starbucks & Chipolte. Modernizing the environment & adding comfy seating areas is going to get people to stay longer, or draw in a crowd McDs is losing. In the past, fast food wanted people in & out (no pun intended), because they saw money in the number of customers, but now McD realizes that returning customers & ones who stay for awhile are bringing in more money than a quick turnover of customers. When people want quick, they use the drive-thru. When they come in to eat now, they come in to hang out with friends or use the WiFi.

Remember, it all comes down to money, and if McD didn’t see this as bringing in more & hadn’t done a lot of research to come to that conclusion, then they wouldn’t do it.

• sweetcake May 10, 2011 at 04:44 AM Login to Reply →

I think it’s extremely ugly! Those aren’t earth tones. It looks very cold and loud and tacky ultra modern that goes back to an old 60’s look. And what’s with ugly old fake wood looking paneling all over the place. Yuck! The golden arches outside is cool though.

• Joel May 10, 2011 at 05:34 AM Login to Reply →

Looks like a cross between Eurotrash and George Jetson’s house. Nauseating. Ugh.
    They ruined a store near our house. We just don’t go in.

• orlando jackson May 10, 2011 at 05:58 AM Login to Reply →

new and improved

• paul harley May 10, 2011 at 06:05 AM Login to Reply →

I think the new design will be an eye catcher, and more up to date. it looks more like a place i would like to eat breakfast at, also continue to make your menu health conscience.

• alana May 10, 2011 at 06:38 AM Login to Reply →

I think it’s a great improvement…but need better workers…..including managers,,,,in the richmond area…..they are all nasty behind the counters…no gloves on most..nasty clothing…moping floors then handleing food.When i go in if they do not look clean & in order i walk out.I’d love to be a secret shopper sort of to speak…

• Ryan Thompson May 10, 2011 at 06:40 AM Login to Reply →

The look above does look modern. I like the outside, but not the inside so much. There’s too much red, and the fake wood walls is so ugly. I hear that red makes you want to eat more but I find it unsettling. I’d rather be around a *warm* red color with warm lights – that makes me want to eat. Just my two cents.

• proud to be mexican May 10, 2011 at 06:57 AM Login to Reply →

kristen……i really dont appreciate the comment you made about mexicans…………atleast they are trying to work give them props……if you have nothing nice to say just dont say it…………..

• Cory May 10, 2011 at 07:02 AM Login to Reply →

The last pic shows the new McDouble McDonald’s….cool

• aaron hempel May 10, 2011 at 07:05 AM Login to Reply →

the first mcdonalds they show had been like that for years, we call it the rock n roll mcdonalds in chicago

• Herien May 10, 2011 at 07:26 AM Login to Reply →

This is hilarious because people are expecting to eat burgers — low end food — in these –high end designed– areas. So… HAHAHAHAA!!

• Jim May 10, 2011 at 07:26 AM Login to Reply →

Have not placed an order at McD’s for the past 15 years… Why? Next time your there and order a Big Mac, carefully remove it from its wrapping/box and hold it up towards the Poster of the product…Do you see the meat over the edges of the bun like the picture? NO! Do you see a level of lettuce with a cascade of special sauce? NO! Pickles? NO!…All I ever see is a three piece bun and a gleamer of something hidden between the layers…Your policy of skimping and raising the price killed my appetite.

• mike May 10, 2011 at 09:13 AM Login to Reply →

looks better,but it still is and alway’s will be a ”fast food processed joint–the only time i use them is when i travel and that and the other ones like them are all thre is–we found out that we pack our own lunch and the bathroom is not a favorite right after we eat, my opinion to the whole thiing ””’don’t judge a book by it’s cover”””

• mike May 10, 2011 at 09:27 AM Login to Reply →

read some of the comments about the employees,i must say i agree ,they need a make over more than the looks of the stores,sweeping floors ,tham\n seving food –no way –also,i want to see a fresh pair of gloves on when i’am served ,most are kids working in these joints an have some of the worst hygene habits there is-,nose picking,scatching there heads and the one i hate the most–coughing with there hand in front of there mouth or some times just coughing -and then serving–come on the managers need to be more observant of there staff-for me i would rather eat a ”health bar ”..the only differance the face lifts will make ,is the community will look better..

• Liz May 10, 2011 at 12:39 PM Login to Reply →

They look a lot like the McDonalds in downtown state college, pa. Brand new- gorgeous, even the bathrooms are sleek and nice! and this is in a college town which is usually top 5 for party schools!

• R. Lewis May 10, 2011 at 13:12 PM Login to Reply →

McDonalds redesign. UGGGGGLLLLY and sterile design. It’s NOT appealing to a family and comfy atmosphere. Sold appearing and not condusive to the type of food and clientelle. BIIIIGGGGGG Mistake. Fire the designer and fire the person with this unnecessary redesign. You can update the design without taking out the character of the restuarant. I wouldn’t want to go there. yuk……

• Kevin May 10, 2011 at 13:49 PM Login to Reply →

Some of those pictures remind of a cafeteria style setting like at a hospital or university……

• Josh May 10, 2011 at 14:32 PM Login to Reply →

Same shitty food though… It’s a shame they don’t spend some of that money on revamping the menu with healthier options and better food sources.

• Jeff H in TX May 10, 2011 at 15:22 PM Login to Reply →

I just want to know if the “Bob Dylan” McDonald’s is still open in downtown Minneapolis.

• justanote May 10, 2011 at 16:57 PM Login to Reply →

They don’t even allow a McDonalds to be built in the downtown area of Lincoln, NE, that city says that McDonalds will make it look dirty and cheap. and I agree!!

• GiccoNY May 10, 2011 at 19:13 PM Login to Reply →

I love to see this change

• Chunky May 10, 2011 at 19:30 PM Login to Reply →

A turd is still a turd no matter how you clean it up.

• meghan May 10, 2011 at 21:41 PM Login to Reply →

i love and hate it….

• meghan May 10, 2011 at 21:43 PM Login to Reply →

But why are they adding flat screens and all that stuff when you type in google images its gunna show a whole bunch of fat kids eating mcdonalads watching t.v…wow

• […] we have an investigation into the interior redesign at McDonald’s currently working across the chains locations. Oops. I can think of a few new […]

• janet Green May 10, 2011 at 23:27 PM Login to Reply →

i sure hope you are not doing away with the booths (full booth). are you phasing them out??? decor kind of cold and impersonal.

• Dr. William H. Berger May 10, 2011 at 23:40 PM Login to Reply →

Please don’t provide connections for wi-fi or computer use in the stores. I’ve dined in Panera’s with my wife at least 3-4 times per week for lunch or dinner over the past two years.We have noticed a decline in store appearance and availability of seating. It appears that students come in to study after purchasing a cup of coffee, then tie up the tables for hours on end. The vast majority of seniors who order complete meals has also declined as a result of the “library or study hall” appearance that currently exist. I give our local neighborhood store no more than 6 months before they go out of business! I hope that McDonalds does not follow this approach to marketing a new look!

• Nik May 12, 2011 at 12:35 PM Login to Reply →

Looks like the McDs in China.

• oldgreenman May 12, 2011 at 17:32 PM Login to Reply →

The new McDonald’s design still looks a bit garish, but what really disappoints me is that the corporation has apparently decided to forgo energy efficiency. Think of the energy savings and positive cultural influence that 7,000 heavily trafficked signature buildings could have accomplished.

• mybigfat_meh May 17, 2011 at 09:22 AM Login to Reply →

McDonald should also try and figure out how to get rid of the stench that permeates from their chains. It really stinks the neighborhood.

• […] and he had to feed us. (For years most of my friends were happy meal toys.) So it’s interesting now how McDonald’s is Starbucking itself and most likely going to be a very different type of fast food place in the future. I can imagine […]

• […] Now, things are starting to turn around.  Starbucks is making money again.  Even McDonald’s is updating and building new restaurants. […]

• Fabuloso! Increíble su web y todo lo que publican. Me encanto!