Ruined Georgian Church Turned into Home

Ruined Georgian Church Turned into Home

Located in Northumberland, England, this Georgian church were until recently a very neglected look. Sally Onions and Ian Bottomley decided to take matters into their own hands and completely turned this ruined building around. It took a lot of work, but at the present time the Georgian church is a five bedroom modern home. The purchasing cost for the construction was £92,000 and the overall spent sum was £300,000. We don’t know if it takes a religious couple to make such a conversion or just two very creative people. Nevertheless, the interiors look extremely original and the wood adds warmth. And check out what they did with the bathroom! Do you like this place, or do you consider it to be a bit out there?-via

• Georgian Church Home 1
  • Georgian Church Home 2
  • Georgian Church Home 4
  • Georgian Church Home 5
  • Georgian Church Home 6
  • Georgian Church Home 7
  • Georgian Church Home 8
  • Georgian Church Home 9
  • Georgian Church Home 11
  • Georgian Church Home 12
  • Georgian Church Home 39
  • Georgian Church Home 391
  • ruined-georgian-church-turned-into-home-image-10

• JDx May 7, 2010 at 11:06 AMLogin to Reply →

Wow, I always thought it would be creepy to live in a church. But this really feels like a home!

• Florence Haridan May 7, 2010 at 11:55 AMLogin to Reply →

Have always dreamed about living in a church. When I used to commute from Long Island into NYC, there was an abandoned church along the railway path, that I would look at every day and imagine doing this exact thing.

Years later, I took the rail road and saw that someone in fact had renovated it, made me sooo happy…

• Fred Flintsone May 7, 2010 at 12:55 PMLogin to Reply →

I cant believe they only paid 92,000 pounds. The stained glass alone is probably worth that. Curious how they heat it. Heated floor tile is a probably a good idea for a start.

• Alison Spatari May 7, 2010 at 15:00 PMLogin to Reply →

I love the idea of this – I have always wanted to get my hands on an authentic, old building like this…but the execution isn’t the best in my opinion…a bed in the dining room? A conversation piece over dinner maybe, but overall a waste of that gorgeous space!
    I would have shown off the character of the building by contrasting it with pure modernism.
    Disappointing furniture – especially the blue sofas…they look like they are from IKEA… :(

• Carl May 7, 2010 at 17:26 PMLogin to Reply →

That is over the top creepy… graves surrounding the building? Not my shtick!

• Brandi Lowe May 7, 2010 at 18:12 PMLogin to Reply →

I love it. It is just absolutely stunning!

• Er... May 7, 2010 at 20:07 PMLogin to Reply →

you’d already blogged about this a year ago: http://freshome.com/2009/07/01/revamping-god%E2%80%99s-home-into-your-own-holy-home-in-the-uk/

• cleaners edinburgh May 8, 2010 at 16:37 PMLogin to Reply →

It’s so weird…Graveyard around the house and Jesus looking at you from the bathroom window. Sounds like creepy experience.

• Church Furniture May 26, 2010 at 20:06 PMLogin to Reply →

That’s a great idea. Such gorgeous photos and interiors! Thanks for sharing!

• Van kerk tot woning June 21, 2010 at 09:39 AMLogin to Reply →

[…] Oh ja… bijna vergeten… Zij kochten het gebouw voor 92.000 Engelse ponden en de verbouwing kostte 300.000 pond… Meer foto’s hier […]

• From church to home June 21, 2010 at 09:47 AMLogin to Reply →

[…] More photos here […]

• Spirito-Martini, Brüsszel | Stilblog June 29, 2010 at 18:27 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] egy régi templomból átalakított belső térrel. Mármint, hogy szeressük-e vagy sem. Ez az otthonná alakított angol templom nekem kicsit túlzás, de lehet, hogy én vagyok régimódi. Ugyanakkor a Puresang stúdió nem […]

• Laurie August 10, 2010 at 19:35 PMLogin to Reply →

Marvelous. Not sure about the bed adjoining the dining room, though.

• Przytulny domek w kościele | Pulp You November 27, 2011 at 11:25 AMLogin to Reply →

[…] NORTHUMBERLAND, Anglia […]