Incredible Underground Residence in Switzerland

Incredible Underground Residence in Switzerland

Have you ever thought how it would be like to live in a bunker or an underground tunnel? Well, today we bring you the upgraded version of that, which is an all-equipped underground home. Situated in the Swiss village of Vals, deep in the mountains, the house is very hard to spot, which makes for a perfect gateway. The unusual architecture plan comes from SeARCH and Christian Muller Architects, and includes all the facilities a common house has, such as a guest room, an entertainment area, but also “specialized” interiors like an underground pathway. The entrance is a wide oval opening that you are driven to by some traditional stairs made in stone. Large windows make it noticeable and draw attention to the inside décors- that is when the people living there are up for some company.

• underground-home-designs-swiss-mountain-house-1
  • underground-home-designs-swiss-mountain-house-15
  • underground-home-designs-swiss-mountain-house-14
  • underground-home-designs-swiss-mountain-house-13
  • underground-home-designs-swiss-mountain-house-12
  • underground-home-designs-swiss-mountain-house-10

• Nicola December 5, 2009 at 18:22 PMLogin to Reply →

This truly is a marvelous example of contemporary architecture.

• Justin December 6, 2009 at 14:33 PMLogin to Reply →

So weird! I wonder if it is more energy efficient than a similar house.

• Angela December 6, 2009 at 17:32 PMLogin to Reply →

This house is astounding. All of the details of the interior and exterior really make this an exciting piece of architecture.

• Fabrizio Van Marciano December 6, 2009 at 20:16 PMLogin to Reply →

Absolutely stunning images and great interior designs, thanks for sharing.

• Jose Domingues December 7, 2009 at 19:26 PMLogin to Reply →

I think it is a very interesting concept still it is an architect’s house, not one you would like to live in every day. It simply isn’t practical. I.e. the stairs to the basement, it has no protection. If you have kids they could fall down and get hurt, if you are old you don’t have anything to hold on to, you wouldn’t be able to go up or down the stairs. In addition since the house has a lot of floors it is not practical to live in, having to go up and down all day long. Another example are the two beds, one above the other. How do you climb to the upper bed? There are no stairs in the picture. It looks nice, but is it practical? You can find a lot more similar issues. Still, congratulations for the concept. I would build the house in another neighborhood though, it seems a bit weird within the remaining houses.

• tiansworld December 8, 2009 at 03:59 AMLogin to Reply →

it’s so incredible,
    the design concept is so excellent.
    Full of daylight, big window!
    I wish I could live in such a nice house some day!

• Adeline December 8, 2009 at 09:56 AMLogin to Reply →

i like this house. it’s so unusual. It’s splendid!!!

• mark165 December 8, 2009 at 11:21 AMLogin to Reply →

its damn hard make a decision to invest money in something like that … you know. … all money you will ever make in youre live, everything into THIS instead of big classic house …

• Repititititive December 8, 2009 at 13:08 PMLogin to Reply →

Like the concept, but they made some horrid design choices: the satellite dishes, the stoneplate stair, the cardboard(?) church ceiling, the clothes hanger above the bathtub. Also, right underneath the bathroom pic, where does that wooden roof come from?

• Kxwy December 9, 2009 at 00:00 AMLogin to Reply →

I’d like to build my own Hobbit-hole one day. To see one in real life, through these pictures shown, is simply awesome.

• Erica December 9, 2009 at 07:11 AMLogin to Reply →

In addition to Jose Domingues’s comment,
    what about water run-off..
    I know here in Appalachia, U.S. on hillsides you have to worry about natural springs a lot when building..
    wouldn’t rain pour off the hillside onto the porch and, eventually, flood the house?

• Ashley December 9, 2009 at 08:01 AMLogin to Reply →

really earthy interior n exterior design, absolutely stunning. cant pull my eyes away it must have took a freaking number of calculations for this to stand so magnificently..!

• louis williams December 9, 2009 at 14:36 PMLogin to Reply →

I have always thought, living underground would become a normal means of survival in the future. Great house!

• KHALID December 9, 2009 at 16:05 PMLogin to Reply →

how to built this i like to have the same

• meg December 9, 2009 at 16:37 PMLogin to Reply →

This is a truly magnificent design!! Eco-friendly and stylish…. How many millions did it cost?

• John Koy December 10, 2009 at 11:03 AMLogin to Reply →

What happens after a heavy rain?
    I don’t see any protection against the slightest flood to come from higher ground.

• raking December 10, 2009 at 12:33 PMLogin to Reply →

it is awsome buliding but what about when it snows or rains? does it work out on certain weather condition?

• Nikolaos Dimopoulos December 12, 2009 at 21:12 PMLogin to Reply →

Amazing design and concept. I wish that these kinds of houses were more widely available….

• Interior ideas December 14, 2009 at 07:53 AMLogin to Reply →

Awesome house design

• pulse December 15, 2009 at 16:06 PMLogin to Reply →

ooh,you lucky bastards.

• Litabit Magaling December 15, 2009 at 20:43 PMLogin to Reply →

Looks like the furnitures are from Ikea.

• JEballar December 18, 2009 at 14:10 PMLogin to Reply →

Aloha. Excellent design concept, nominal exterior maintenance, augmented by local culture. I can enjoy living in a residence a like this. Not clear is the life safety program considered i.e. exiting, fire/smoke issues, etc. Mahalo for sharing.12-18-09

• Layla January 3, 2010 at 16:53 PMLogin to Reply →

It reminded me of Matmata city in North Africa. Natural way to keep the house warm in winter and cold in summer.
    Not a new idea but very corageous to perform.

• no name January 13, 2010 at 06:21 AMLogin to Reply →

Is this healthy house!!!

• Nina January 13, 2010 at 17:20 PMLogin to Reply →

Oh my Gosh, the architecture is so incredibly awesome.

• davish January 14, 2010 at 12:03 PMLogin to Reply →

Great concept, although i have serious doubts in case of floods or heavy rains.

Unless it has an excelent water drain system, it will flood faster than a bucket.

• Paola January 22, 2010 at 18:05 PMLogin to Reply →

• Mr. ElectricGuitar January 22, 2010 at 22:25 PMLogin to Reply →

I almost built an underground house once. Wish I would have. This is awesome!

• Bill January 22, 2010 at 23:16 PMLogin to Reply →

Raw concrete walls and ceilings kills it for me. Wood paneling would be much nicer.

• Nick January 22, 2010 at 23:16 PMLogin to Reply →

I generally dislike leaving negative coments but – What a heap of crap. Brushed concrete walls, underground. Who wants to live in that? A little rendering might make it a little less soleless.

• BMW January 23, 2010 at 00:22 AMLogin to Reply →

wow , this is really great !Recently my friend recommand me a cool place where i can meet some rich and famous people
    ,If you are looking for a wealthy lifestyle or looking for a business partner, maybe you should check it out,you don’t have to be a millionaire.but you can meet one.I think everyone need to meet some miracle====M e e t M i l l i o n a i r e . c om ===== ,Good Luck!!!

• Xedule January 23, 2010 at 00:27 AMLogin to Reply →

that’s pretty cool – this would be a great place for anyone who doesn’t have family baggage :)

• david wayne osedach January 23, 2010 at 01:44 AMLogin to Reply →

Very well done! I lived in Montreux, Switzerland for a year. But nothing compared to this!

• Nick January 23, 2010 at 03:38 AMLogin to Reply →

Looks like there may be more than one ‘building’ in the design. Very nice pictures and space, but a floorplan would be very helpful to better understand spacial relationships (though I know they are not always available)

Also, if some random person on the internet can think of potential problems, don’t you think trained architects, engineers and builders would catch them and provide a workaround or alternate design? If I were building this as my own home, I know I would be concerned as well. And I wouldn’t let any construction start until there were very clear and practical plans to deal with any obvious issues (and would trust the professionals to deal with the not so obvious issues).

• The Tim Channel January 23, 2010 at 10:56 AMLogin to Reply →

I love the idea of an underground house. I don’t like the unfinished concrete in this one though. I’m sure the house is high enough in the mountains that water drainage isn’t a problem
    Enjoy.

• Medisoft January 23, 2010 at 15:43 PMLogin to Reply →

This was incredible! Thanks for sharing pics of this home!

• Fin January 23, 2010 at 17:13 PMLogin to Reply →

The bare concrete looks very falloutish.. Nice.
    But the rest of it looks, like it was designed by a group of renegade queers…

I also wonder, if that half egg front yard would turn in to a swimmingpool, if it rained too much..

• monkeynote January 23, 2010 at 17:19 PMLogin to Reply →

the concept is nice but im worried about landslide… you’ll be buried alive :-o

• pony January 23, 2010 at 20:37 PMLogin to Reply →

can you built swiming poll from the family but when it rain its bad !!

• Peter January 23, 2010 at 21:18 PMLogin to Reply →

I’m familiar to this house
    the TeleTubbies live there
    Tinky Winky. LaLa. Po and Dipsey

• Rare Retreats January 25, 2010 at 17:39 PMLogin to Reply →

I think what they’ve achieved for a ‘hole-in-the ground’ is incredibly beautiful, despite the grey walls.

• W Todd Springer January 26, 2010 at 21:26 PMLogin to Reply →

Courageous, innovative, inspiring. So unusual to have multiple story underground rather than the usual one story, and the resulting dialog between the interior and exterior of the single vertical facade is dynamic. Thank you for the effort and the extensive documentation. Appears to be very accommodating for underground life.

• Let's See January 28, 2010 at 00:51 AMLogin to Reply →

Really amazing pictures. I would like to spend a weekend in a house like this.

• Paul January 30, 2010 at 00:38 AMLogin to Reply →

I think the concept is awesome, there are definitely features of this place that I would adopt.

• Honeymooner February 2, 2010 at 11:21 AMLogin to Reply →

Those pictures are so mouth watering.

• galiaivanova February 8, 2010 at 15:45 PMLogin to Reply →

Very good article. Fantastic article. Thanks for sharing

• SerrinE February 8, 2010 at 22:44 PMLogin to Reply →

I am truky speechless….
    Breathtaking.Perfect.Future.

ilovemyhusband<3

• Jon February 9, 2010 at 11:53 AMLogin to Reply →

It’s certainly very different, even from existing Underground / Earth Sheltered houses, on my Yahoo Group we have a VERY large collection of Photos and Links to Underground / ES houses, etc. if some of you are interested?
    Yours Jon.

• herbal supplements for erectile dysfunction March 29, 2010 at 14:19 PMLogin to Reply →

Interesting and informative. But will you write about this one more?

• david wayne osedach March 30, 2010 at 00:25 AMLogin to Reply →

Whee are the keys? I’ll move in tomorrow!

• Saud Alsharji September 30, 2010 at 17:40 PMLogin to Reply →

It’s new idea and bravo to the architect who design the house, but what is behind this idea, I mean to live under the ground?

• Reisen Tipps September 30, 2010 at 18:56 PMLogin to Reply →

cool designing and concepts

• The Levytator Clears the Path for an Infinite Number of Escalator Designs | Stylish Home Design October 2, 2010 at 07:36 AMLogin to Reply →

[…] Incredible Underground Residence in Switzerland […]

• mariabeads November 6, 2010 at 08:36 AMLogin to Reply →

wow it’s wonderful. integration modern design and natural

• Romantic Gifts November 9, 2010 at 21:34 PMLogin to Reply →

I understand the uniqueness and creativity but all of that concrete is too much for my liking. It would be like living in a bomb shelter.

• Schnicklefritz December 9, 2010 at 01:41 AMLogin to Reply →

Great house but you still live like a gopher

• sherry December 24, 2010 at 21:18 PMLogin to Reply →

all of design fantastic please send me this design home for my facebook , mehrangiz azizpour, thanks

• Ecodesign January 15, 2011 at 06:50 AMLogin to Reply →

GooD! GooD! Awesome architecture.

• kaitlyn short February 28, 2011 at 19:50 PMLogin to Reply →

this house is so pretty

• nuzzaci / A house underground / April 10, 2011 at 18:28 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] More images and details are avalibale on freshome.com […]

• Petra May 10, 2011 at 09:36 AMLogin to Reply →

Whom do I have to kill to live there?

• jenny venue June 25, 2013 at 20:20 PMLogin to Reply →

Enlightening piece, precisely what I was looking for.