Architecture

House on Swain’s Lane in London, Overlooks a Cemetery

advertise here

I always knew those Brits are wicked, but not like that. Apparently on Swain’s Lane in London, there’s a glass looking house designed by London-based architects Eldridge Smerin, which has a great view, (prepare!!!) over a cemetery. Other than the fact that there are dead people in the area the four-storey house is extremely modern with large windows and doors made of glass to enhance space. Built on the footprint of the original 1970 house, it has two facadase. One is overlooking the cemetery and is mostly glazed while the other one is made of black granite, translucent glass and black steel panels, and overlooks the street. Looks extremely fancy but I’m not sure if I’d be able to live there. Would you? – via Dezeen

• house-overlooking-a-cemetery-in-london-5
  • Modern house overlooking a cemetery in London
  • house-overlooking-a-cemetery-in-london-2
  • house-overlooking-a-cemetery-in-london-3
  • house-overlooking-a-cemetery-in-london-4

• Terry October 22, 2008 at 11:47 AM Login to Reply →

That’s awesome, and I think the cemetery might be a bit of a plus. Here in NYC, before Central Park was built, everyone used to picnic in the cemeteries. In fact, there was so much traffic going to them that it was one of the reasons Central Park was built in the first place. And think about it – park views that will not be built over. The question is, is it an -active- cemetery or something historical?

• [...] Via Send to Facebook [...]

• JOhn October 23, 2008 at 01:09 AM Login to Reply →

I think it would be a plus. Quiet neighbors.

• NefariousCupcake October 23, 2008 at 10:55 AM Login to Reply →

People are dying to be their neighbors. Heh. heh. Ok. That was awful, sorry.

• Sascha Vogt November 3, 2008 at 22:12 PM Login to Reply →

At least less playing kids than in a park or garden.

And goth chicks will love it….

• Ximena June 1, 2009 at 18:23 PM Login to Reply →

Hi! I’ve also been there and found the house a bit odd. The glass facade is nice and I guess the view goes way over the cemetery, which for a city like London is a luxury (not to be overlooking a wall or the front building, I guess). But on the other hand, the street facade I found hideous, and I even thought the architect aimed for the house to look like a sober tomb from the street. What was the need of that black granite massive wall? Don’t get it -and don’t like it!

Thanks for the photos, they are great.

Greetings from Mexico!

• Josef Patricia April 8, 2010 at 03:43 AM Login to Reply →

Hey! I enjoy your site but I’m having trouble getting it to render correctly in the Konqueror browser. You might want to check your css code. True That! :)

• folding picnic tables April 26, 2010 at 19:26 PM Login to Reply →

Intimately, the post is really the greatest on that worthw hile topic. I fit in with your conclusions and also can eagerly look forward to your next updates. Simply saying thanks can not simply be sufficient, for the great clarity in your writing. I can immediately grab your rss feed to stay abreast of any kind of updates. Pleasant work and also much success in your business endeavors!