How to Make the Stairs the Most Interesting Element of Your Home

How to Make the Stairs the Most Interesting Element of Your Home

A few months ago we presented an interesting project called the Rainbow Bookshelf, a beautiful example of organizing books by color. Today here is another interesting way to play with colors created by Jim Lambie. Jim Lambie, a Scottish artist, is best known for his striped vinyl floor pieces, which have covered the floors and stairs of multiple gallery and museum spaces in the United States and Europe.The artist meticulously adheres vinyl tape to the floor in a geometric pattern that responds to the building’s architecture.The project presented in this post is called “ZOBOP!” and is a dizzying installation of meandering parallel strips of colored tape laid on the lobby floor and up some stairs of the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

• Vamos October 8, 2008 at 14:02 PMLogin to Reply →

Dizzy-making striping on a stairs, no thank you.. Like the idea, but it’s just a bit too much for me..

• Colorida escalera de Jim Lambie - Hogar Total October 8, 2008 at 17:17 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] | Freshome Más noticias sobre: Consejos Tags: diseños originales, escaleras, […]

• Flo October 8, 2008 at 17:43 PMLogin to Reply →

So this means that every colour is made from one tape? Lot’s of work. And I’m wondering how you have to prepare the stairs to make it last longer than five times to scratch it off…

Do you have any information on this?

• Ryan G October 8, 2008 at 18:46 PMLogin to Reply →

That’s pretty cool.

• valros October 8, 2008 at 19:13 PMLogin to Reply →

OMG I would so love this if it were tetris, now that would be awesome.

• Shadus October 8, 2008 at 19:14 PMLogin to Reply →

That is the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen bar none.

• truthofz October 8, 2008 at 19:21 PMLogin to Reply →

This is so sick! All I need now is a little flute to play when I need to call the Oompa Loomas over!

• Ian October 8, 2008 at 19:35 PMLogin to Reply →

Wow!

That’s awesome and eye-catching.

I’m not sure about the durability aspect, but if water-based polyurethane would hold to it, you could use that to “cure” the installation. Then, you would just need to re-coat once a year to keep a fresh, scuff-free finish.

Definitely time consuming to create though.

• Staicu Ionut October 8, 2008 at 20:55 PMLogin to Reply →

If you are drunk and you want to get down on the stairs, you should call on 911 first to be waited by an ambulance :D

• Interesantes Escaleras / The Most Interesting Stairs | 71º | aristas del diseño | design edges October 8, 2008 at 20:56 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] Viaº freshome […]

• Shane October 8, 2008 at 21:12 PMLogin to Reply →

extraordinarily tacky

• Shandooga October 8, 2008 at 21:18 PMLogin to Reply →

It’s like a Venus flytrap for old people. Why not just skip the vertigo and jump out the window?

• Zephyre October 8, 2008 at 21:27 PMLogin to Reply →

“YIKES!” was my first and only thought on this. *shudders*

• Your Mom October 8, 2008 at 22:03 PMLogin to Reply →

I would burn my house down if it had these stairs in it. Ugliest, most dangerous, most poorly-executed design ever.

• How Stairs Can Be The Most Exciting Part of Your Home [PICS] | WhiteSandsDigital.com October 8, 2008 at 22:08 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] vinyl tape to the floor in a geometric pattern that responds to the building’s architecture.read more | digg […]

• Ashley October 8, 2008 at 22:20 PMLogin to Reply →

HOLY FUCKING SHIT TITTIES!

• peter October 8, 2008 at 23:16 PMLogin to Reply →

What happens when you smoke too much pot…

• PJ October 8, 2008 at 23:45 PMLogin to Reply →

Stairs like those would be the death of me. Literally. They’d make me dizzy, I’d lose my footing, and that would be that.

• free stuff October 8, 2008 at 23:54 PMLogin to Reply →

I love it!! Retro all the way baby.

• really? October 9, 2008 at 04:36 AMLogin to Reply →

Making the stairs a focal point, cool. Making your stairs look like the entrance of a gay bar, lame.

• JP Max October 9, 2008 at 09:10 AMLogin to Reply →

Hot DAMN! This is so so so GOOD! I love the colours! But having said that, clumsy person like myself will probably fall down these stairs ALL the time!!

• Great Piece! October 9, 2008 at 15:13 PMLogin to Reply →

Amazing Work. Well Executed. Intriguing Palatte.

• james October 10, 2008 at 10:59 AMLogin to Reply →

Very impressed, some people may not like it, but it takes real talent to come up with and carry out ideas like this. WELL DONE :)

• Joseph Smith October 10, 2008 at 15:55 PMLogin to Reply →

Sorry, but it’s a bit freakish

• Ideal October 10, 2008 at 21:03 PMLogin to Reply →

Wow, that is about the most scary thing I’ve ever seen. Yikes.

• CLS October 12, 2008 at 22:37 PMLogin to Reply →

I love it! I’ve always had a soft spot for stripes in bright, bold colors. This is just the epitome of cool as far as I’m concerned. I’m already trying to figure out how to copy it and put in my hallway or kitchen floor. It’s all about thinking out of the box…

• Tom E October 13, 2008 at 11:49 AMLogin to Reply →

Yeah – they won’t get sick of that in a year.

• Steps… | The Serif - Your daily dose of design inspiration October 13, 2008 at 19:44 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] cool addthis_pub = ‘kubox'; addthis_logo = ”; addthis_logo_background = ‘FFFFFF'; addthis_logo_color = ‘FFFFFF'; addthis_brand = ”; addthis_options = ‘favorites, email, digg, delicious, myspace, facebook, google, live, more'; Bookmark this entry […]

• boxerdude October 16, 2008 at 00:17 AMLogin to Reply →

appallingly poor taste. i can’t fathom how ANYONE thought that was a good idea. firstly, why you would ever want to make your STAIRS the focal part of your home is beyond me. secondly, to attempt it THIS was is astounding.

• Britt October 16, 2008 at 02:29 AMLogin to Reply →

I saw a floor like this at the Hirshhorn Museum in DC but the colors were more fluorescent/neon. It was actually pretty amazing. Not saying I’d want to live with it, though.

• Ronny Wieckardt’s Blog » Blog Archive » Steps… October 16, 2008 at 16:09 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] cool […]

• Sven October 16, 2008 at 18:54 PMLogin to Reply →

Very eye-catching :)

• Wolfie Rankin October 25, 2008 at 05:01 AMLogin to Reply →

Yeah, Vertigo. I wouldn’t like it, I got the “Wow, I don’t want to walk down those too fast” thought. Though it’s a very acid-trippy 70s sort of design, possibly 60s? and some might like it.

As for the gay bar comment, if I were designing a gay bar, I’d go with something softer, those leather men are all big softies hehe!

• Caryn November 29, 2008 at 09:10 AMLogin to Reply →

I love bright colors and I like the idea, but I can see where this might get annoying & obnoxious over time. Maybe using the idea but shoosing fewer, more subdued colors would be better.

• Raymond December 4, 2008 at 07:27 AMLogin to Reply →

Interesting…,but it would be too risky to walk on it.

• Gilles March 19, 2009 at 03:51 AMLogin to Reply →

This taste would be good in the year of 1960 hippy time and LSD,
    But now we livw in the space age,so put this colorful design in a frame
    to put on the wall of the basement…

• Free Stuff Free Samples April 3, 2009 at 03:06 AMLogin to Reply →

Wow being freaky myself that is unbelievable. I can’t show this to the wife or I might be busy for a long time.

• to: Free Stuff Free Samples May 9, 2009 at 04:25 AMLogin to Reply →

I agree, if you wife get involve into the decoration, you might wakeup in the circus one morning ;)

• Andrew A. Sailer November 23, 2009 at 19:44 PMLogin to Reply →

Hi, I have just stumbled upon your blog browsing on the Internet as I am seeking some information on flutes. Seems like a good site so I have bookmarked you and intend to revisit tomorrow to give it a more detailed read when i have more time. Keep up the good work.

• Dayna Proctor February 7, 2010 at 19:01 PMLogin to Reply →

Great blog, although I think some of the stuff on itt is a little pre used lol.

• Deco Vanguardia » Decoración de escaleras March 23, 2011 at 11:14 AMLogin to Reply →

[…] Imágenes vía Freshome […]