Freshome
Home Ideas : Design Ideas, Pictures, Unique Products and Inspiration How to Make the Stairs the Most Interesting Element of Your Home

How to Make the Stairs the Most Interesting Element of Your Home

A few months ago we presented an interesting project called the Rainbow Bookshelf, a beautiful example of organizing books by color. Today here is another interesting way to play with colors created by Jim Lambie. Jim Lambie, a Scottish artist, is best known for his striped vinyl floor pieces, which have covered the floors and stairs of multiple gallery and museum spaces in the United States and Europe.The artist meticulously adheres vinyl tape to the floor in a geometric pattern that responds to the building’s architecture.The project presented in this post is called “ZOBOP!” and is a dizzying installation of meandering parallel strips of colored tape laid on the lobby floor and up some stairs of the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

2924247484 9fb29986b9 o How to Make the Stairs the Most Interesting Element of Your Home 2924247526 0f446151be o How to Make the Stairs the Most Interesting Element of Your Home 2923396957 4e13f005b3 o How to Make the Stairs the Most Interesting Element of Your Home

Get Updates (it's free) Enter your email to get FREE blog updates

35 responses to “How to Make the Stairs the Most Interesting Element of Your Home” - Add yours!

1. Vamos said:
    October 8, 2008

Dizzy-making striping on a stairs, no thank you.. Like the idea, but it’s just a bit too much for me..

2. Flo said:
    October 8, 2008

So this means that every colour is made from one tape? Lot’s of work. And I’m wondering how you have to prepare the stairs to make it last longer than five times to scratch it off…

Do you have any information on this?

3. Ryan G said:

That’s pretty cool.

4. valros said:
    October 8, 2008

OMG I would so love this if it were tetris, now that would be awesome.

5. Shadus said:
    October 8, 2008

That is the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen bar none.

6. truthofz said:
    October 8, 2008

This is so sick! All I need now is a little flute to play when I need to call the Oompa Loomas over!

7. Ian said:

Wow!

That’s awesome and eye-catching.

I’m not sure about the durability aspect, but if water-based polyurethane would hold to it, you could use that to “cure” the installation. Then, you would just need to re-coat once a year to keep a fresh, scuff-free finish.

Definitely time consuming to create though.

8. October 8, 2008

If you are drunk and you want to get down on the stairs, you should call on 911 first to be waited by an ambulance :D

9. Shane said:

extraordinarily tacky

10. Shandooga said:
    October 8, 2008

It’s like a Venus flytrap for old people. Why not just skip the vertigo and jump out the window?

11. Zephyre said:
    October 8, 2008

“YIKES!” was my first and only thought on this. *shudders*

12. Your Mom said:
    October 8, 2008

I would burn my house down if it had these stairs in it. Ugliest, most dangerous, most poorly-executed design ever.

13. Ashley said:
    October 8, 2008

HOLY FUCKING SHIT TITTIES!

14. peter said:
    October 8, 2008

What happens when you smoke too much pot…

15. PJ said:
    October 8, 2008

Stairs like those would be the death of me. Literally. They’d make me dizzy, I’d lose my footing, and that would be that.

16. free stuff said:
    October 8, 2008

I love it!! Retro all the way baby.

17. really? said:
    October 9, 2008

Making the stairs a focal point, cool. Making your stairs look like the entrance of a gay bar, lame.

18. JP Max said:
    October 9, 2008

Hot DAMN! This is so so so GOOD! I love the colours! But having said that, clumsy person like myself will probably fall down these stairs ALL the time!!

19. Great Piece! said:
    October 9, 2008

Amazing Work. Well Executed. Intriguing Palatte.

20. james said:
    October 10, 2008

Very impressed, some people may not like it, but it takes real talent to come up with and carry out ideas like this. WELL DONE :)

21. Joseph Smith said:
    October 10, 2008

Sorry, but it’s a bit freakish

22. Ideal said:
    October 10, 2008

Wow, that is about the most scary thing I’ve ever seen. Yikes.

23. CLS said:
    October 12, 2008

I love it! I’ve always had a soft spot for stripes in bright, bold colors. This is just the epitome of cool as far as I’m concerned. I’m already trying to figure out how to copy it and put in my hallway or kitchen floor. It’s all about thinking out of the box…

24. Tom E said:
    October 13, 2008

Yeah – they won’t get sick of that in a year.

25. boxerdude said:
    October 16, 2008

appallingly poor taste. i can’t fathom how ANYONE thought that was a good idea. firstly, why you would ever want to make your STAIRS the focal part of your home is beyond me. secondly, to attempt it THIS was is astounding.

26. Britt said:
    October 16, 2008

I saw a floor like this at the Hirshhorn Museum in DC but the colors were more fluorescent/neon. It was actually pretty amazing. Not saying I’d want to live with it, though.

27. Sven said:
    October 16, 2008

Very eye-catching :)

28. Wolfie Rankin said:
    October 25, 2008

Yeah, Vertigo. I wouldn’t like it, I got the “Wow, I don’t want to walk down those too fast” thought. Though it’s a very acid-trippy 70s sort of design, possibly 60s? and some might like it.

As for the gay bar comment, if I were designing a gay bar, I’d go with something softer, those leather men are all big softies hehe!

29. Caryn said:
    November 29, 2008

I love bright colors and I like the idea, but I can see where this might get annoying & obnoxious over time. Maybe using the idea but shoosing fewer, more subdued colors would be better.

30. Raymond said:
    December 4, 2008

Interesting…,but it would be too risky to walk on it.

31. Gilles said:
    March 19, 2009

This taste would be good in the year of 1960 hippy time and LSD,
    But now we livw in the space age,so put this colorful design in a frame
    to put on the wall of the basement…

32. April 3, 2009

Wow being freaky myself that is unbelievable. I can’t show this to the wife or I might be busy for a long time.

33. May 9, 2009

I agree, if you wife get involve into the decoration, you might wakeup in the circus one morning ;)

34. Andrew A. Sailer said:
    November 23, 2009

Hi, I have just stumbled upon your blog browsing on the Internet as I am seeking some information on flutes. Seems like a good site so I have bookmarked you and intend to revisit tomorrow to give it a more detailed read when i have more time. Keep up the good work.

35. February 7, 2010

Great blog, although I think some of the stuff on itt is a little pre used lol.

6 Trackbacks

1. [...] | Freshome Más noticias sobre: Consejos Tags: diseños originales, escaleras, [...]

2. By Interesantes Escaleras / The Most Interesting Stairs | 71º | aristas del diseño | design edges on October 8, 2008

[...] Viaº freshome [...]

3. [...] vinyl tape to the floor in a geometric pattern that responds to the building’s architecture.read more | digg [...]

4. [...] cool addthis_pub = ‘kubox’; addthis_logo = ”; addthis_logo_background = ‘FFFFFF’; addthis_logo_color = ‘FFFFFF’; addthis_brand = ”; addthis_options = ‘favorites, email, digg, delicious, myspace, facebook, google, live, more’; Bookmark this entry [...]

5. By Ronny Wieckardt’s Blog » Blog Archive » Steps… on October 16, 2008