Brad Pitt to Design a Luxury Eco-friendly Hotel in Dubai
Hotels & Resorts

Brad Pitt to Design a Luxury Eco-friendly Hotel in Dubai

It seems that when you are a celebrity you know everything, or at least media shows that you know everything and you can do anything easily. For example recently actor Brad Pitt has signed on as the designer of a luxury eco-friendly hotel with Zabeel Properties, that will be built Dubai. The project, which aims to be an “environmentally sustainable” 800-room luxury property, will include Pitt as a designer working with GRAFT. “Whilst acting is my career, architecture is my passion” said Brad in a statement. Now I know that an architect has to study hard for about 6 or 7 years in college, to be able to create something, and  I really hope Brad isn’t the lead architect on this thing. It’ll probably collapse whilst they’re working on it. Finally I think that the company that started this project got Brad Pitt involved in this project for a big boost of publicity and not really for his designer services. What do you think ? Via Telegraph and People.

It seems that when you are a celebrity you know everything, or at least media shows that you know everything and you can do anything easily. For example recently actor Brad Pitt has signed on as the designer of a luxury eco-friendly hotel with Zabeel Properties, that will be built Dubai. The project, which aims […]

" data-pin-do="buttonPin" data-pin-config="above">

• nacio June 5, 2008 at 12:19 PM Login to Reply →

yes i do think its purely for publicity and even if he does get involve in the designing process, i think it will be very minimal like choosing the tap models for the toilets or sumn .. heh .. having said that tho .. i cant frakkin imagine having to present ANYTHING in front of him .. ill be bloody wiping away drool whilst talking .. mmm not a particularly nice sight

• Michael June 5, 2008 at 13:39 PM Login to Reply →

That’s why I’m hating when the magazines, and newspapers write everything about someone who played in a movie, just to write something.

• RenegadeLatino June 6, 2008 at 05:53 AM Login to Reply →

He is not an architect, he’s an actor. This we know. But if architecture is his passion he might have a few good ideas. Of course the design company is going to be doing all the work, but he might be able to throw a few ideas out there. I’m a business major and make money doing IT work but I like design and these things and while I don’t have the education and might not be able to do design after design, I like to think I may have a few good ideas. So yeah, he’s not gonna be doing the drafting and talking about load bearing walls and such, but if I had his money, I’d pretend to be an architect too.

• Armine Abrahamyan June 6, 2008 at 09:25 AM Login to Reply →

I think it is very good that Pitt is trying his skills in architecture as well. He should be very successful in it as well.

-armine

• Andy June 6, 2008 at 21:26 PM Login to Reply →

Well, I started out as an architect [USC 1972] and then after 2 years went to Loyola Law School [1977] [where, incidently, Frank Gehry was the architect for an expansion] and I practice both quite nicely. I’ll give Brad a fighting chance to make another interesting mark
    on the face of design and art. Good Luck to him and his passion’s expression.

• Michael June 24, 2008 at 08:28 AM Login to Reply →

Brad has a history of remolding almost every house hes lived in. I
    would interested in what he could come up with. Besides, I guessing
    he has traveled more than most architects and has stayed in the best of the best- .

• [...] last month we saw that Brad Pitt will design an eco-friendly hotel Dubai Infinity Holdings just announced that Karl Lagerfeld will design 80 residential homes for [...]

• [...] Pitt is now a green architect for an eco-friendly, luxury hotel in [...]

• Gail Boyce July 29, 2008 at 21:54 PM Login to Reply →

Let him have his “eye” at it. Good design sense is a gift – perhaps Brad has it. In any event, the key word here is “passion.” When your heart leads, how can you fail?

• Professor_D July 30, 2008 at 03:49 AM Login to Reply →

I heard that Paris Hilton will be designing jet engines for GE and George Cloney is working pretty hard on developing silicon carbide bipolar junction transistors too. And if I ever have a medical problem I’ll be sure and consult with Dr. Phil.

• Steve August 4, 2008 at 12:33 PM Login to Reply →

It seems like Pitt, who donates massive amounts of money (as does his wife) to charity, can do no wrong nowadays. It’s nice to see a celebrity figure who actually deserves to be looked up to as opposed to other celebrities who constantly attract negative attention.

• Sai Aung Htay January 19, 2009 at 04:44 AM Login to Reply →

Just Do It !

• Radley March 16, 2009 at 21:41 PM Login to Reply →

Do you guys have a recommendation section, i’d like to suggest some stuff

• hh March 27, 2009 at 20:46 PM Login to Reply →

he may not be a professional architect but at least he has ideas and is trying
    if he can use his reputation to bring some good to the world why not do so?
    he has designed a line of green homes for the rebuilt portions of NOLA that are
    green and, in my opinion, are nicely designed

• Kevin April 9, 2009 at 05:10 AM Login to Reply →

Criticizing celebrities for portraying themselves as something they are not is not negative. Brad Pitt is not an architect. A building is designed by architects, several different types of engineers, designers, bureaucrats, . Yes, there is an “eye” to design. We all like to think we have it and can not understand why the professionals do not get it. Well the “professionals” have to deal with stubborn little issues like budgets, set backs, fsr restrictions, overhang limits, density, zoning, building codes, fire regulations, energy efficiency stipulations, accessibility requirements, air exchange limits, sight lines, skyline integration etc etc . Mostly for good reason. The “why don’t they just …..” normally has an answer.
    I have no problem with Pitt using his celebrity to try and do good. I am disappointed that he does not recognize that his celebrity is the biggest thing he brings to the table no matter how handy, artistic or green he thinks he might be. He was not the designer for NOLA, he was benefactor who paid “designers” and gave ideas, which is good, but is different. The problem is that all green solutions are not “good” for the environment, they are just less bad. Solar power is great, but it still has a negative footprint (silicone, transmission, heat etc etc) Gore’s 17,000 ft2 redesigned green house can not be green no matter what, because the footprint per person is still huge. A five star hotel in the desert is not good for the environment. It may be less bad than the alternatives but so far from green that it is repulsive and generates a negative reaction.
    I applaud any celebrity using there inappropriately valuable celebrity for good purposes, but it is important to keep it in perspective. Either way, it does not make him good or bad. He is mostly a good actor from my point of view, and from what I read is trying to do good.

• tanya November 23, 2009 at 23:28 PM Login to Reply →

You are so right, it sounds like purely a publicity stunt for the new hotel.

• Maximilian April 18, 2010 at 05:10 AM Login to Reply →

Rusty Ryan, Brad Pitt’s character in the feature film Ocean’s 12, lost his 13 million dollar share of the 160 Million dollars they stole from Terry Benedict’s hotel/casino in Ocean’s 11 by mismanaging hotels. It made me sort of chuckle at the irony to see he’s really taking up hotels. As derisive as the rest of the comments are, I wonder how much of it, if one is really honest with themselves about it, is simple envy. If I had the opportunity to easily look into hotels as Brad Pitt seems to have the financial momentum to do, I’m sure I’d keep my fiscal ball rolling too by looking into new avenues of investment cash flow.

• Gudrun Crittendon November 14, 2010 at 01:58 AM Login to Reply →

Why not allow Brad to design a hotel. I am sure he has stayed in enough of them to know what would be great for guests and then interject his own talent to it. We’re not architects either but designed our own custom home years ago based on what we wanted, then hired an architect and he built it for us. Turned out wonderful, a house we could never had purchased just that way. Go do it Brad!

• RA ARCHITECTS January 29, 2011 at 02:15 AM Login to Reply →

Follow your passion in architecture, brad pitt.

• Suzel June 27, 2011 at 10:25 AM Login to Reply →

I was under the impression that Brad Pitt did study architecture. So….