Freshome

Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses

Tree houses are buildings constructed among the branches or next to the trunk of one or more mature trees, and are raised above the ground. Tree houses can be built for recreation or permanent habitation. Generally, the term “tree fort” is used only for recreational structures and not permanent homes. In this post you can see the 8 of the most amazing tree houses ever built.

tree house Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses

1. These incredible looking tree houses are called ‘Free Spirit Spheres’ and are designed by Tom Chudleigh, and is an eco-friendly living quarter that was created to co-exist unobtrusively with its forest environment. Wooden spheres are built much like a cedar strip canoe or kayak, suspension points are similar to the chain plate attachments on a sailboat and the stairways hang from a tree much like a sailboats shrouds hang from the mast. If you are more curios about these awesome tree houses you can see tour of this tree house in the video below.

treehouse Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses

2. The 4TreeHouse was designed by Lukasz Kos a masters student at the University of Toronto’s School of Architecture & Design. Posing as a Japanese lantern on stilts, Kos’ creation floats within the fir trees on Lake Muskoka, Ontario, an elegant slatted structure that scales the trees and lets light radiate down it’s core. – Via – Inhabitat

modern tree house Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses

3. Sybarite is one of the most exciting architectural practices in London. The conceptual tree house pictured above is one of the projects from UK-based Sybarite design. This tree house is a modular system which capitalizes on the beauty of its setting whilst minimizing its impact upon it. The layout, along with panoramic windows, maximize benefit of the sun path, orientated so the kitchen enjoys morning light whilst the living and bedroom spaces have the pleasure of the sunset and twilight. The flexible form, comprised of modular prefabricated sections, enables configurations ranging from one to five bedrooms. The company’s site reports, “The prefabricated design can be installed on site within two weeks and is extremely lightweight, uses many recycled products, is part self-sustainable and low on maintenance.

future tree house Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses

4. Three MIT designers – Mitchell Joachim, Lara Greden and Javier Arbona – created this living tree house in which the dwelling itself merges with its environment and nourishes its inhabitants. This home concept is intended to replace the outdated design solutions at Habitat for Humanity. Until now this house is just a concept, an a really cool one. Despite its odd exterior, the house will look normal on the inside. The walls, packed with clay and plastered over, will keep out the rain, and modern technology will be welcome. You can find more information’s about this project here, and below is a short video ( 18 sec ) that presents the house.

tree houses Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses

5. This amazing treehouse above was designed by Takashi Kobayashi, one of japan’s leading tree house creators. This house was designed after an advertising agency in Tokyo, hired him to design a tree house for a Nescafé commercial now running on Japanese television. Mr. Kobayashi built an oval bird’s nest of a house, 12 feet high and 9 feet in diameter, reached by a circular staircase, and the final price for this tree house was about $38,000. The house is located on a field there owned by the town of Kamishihoro, where it remains an enticing, if off-limits, gift from Nestlé, the makers of Nescafé, to the people of Hokkaido. – Via – NyTimes

cool tree house Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses

6. German cooperative Baumraum knows how to keep imagination alive in their homes. They create treetop dwellings which integrate beautifully into their forested surroundings, and preserve the integrity of the trees that support them. With the breezy playfulness of a hammock and the trusted stability of an old oak tree, Baumraum won’t make you grow up to enjoy a sophisticated house. Now you can have your very own tree house with a cool design thanks to Baumraum an architects studio from Germany.

tree house new Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses

7. Dustin Feider had a different vision: one that would be good for the tree, the environment and the deep human need to reconnect with nature and our primordial roots. Through his company, O2 Treehouse, Feider is out to revolutionize not merely tree houses but the entire concept of habitat. All the materials used for the tree house are entirely recycled – and while the original O2 Sustainability Tree house is 13 feet wide, interiors and sizes can be customized according to customer specifications.

treehouses Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses

8. When the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland laid out plans to create the largest public gardens in all of Europe, they commissioned the Tree House Co. to create a gigantic tree house that would house a 120-seat restaurant, a retail shop, two classrooms, and tow private dining rooms. Opened in January, 2005, the Tree house at Alnwick Gardens is a labyrinth of turrets, treetop walkways, and cavernous spaces. At 6,000 square feet, it’s one of the largest wooden tree houses in the world.

Get Updates (it's free) Enter your email to get FREE blog updates

74 responses to “Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses” - Add yours!

1. January 8, 2008

Undoubtedly these pictures make you dream about living in one of the picturesque houses. I`d love the idea to wonder these creations at the neighbourhoods in Toronto where I`m living. It makes you also optimistic about the future that the desire to create beauty would not fade away.
    Thank you for the experience!

2. vic said:
    January 9, 2008

Very Cool

3. Joov said:
    January 9, 2008

Nice….fix typos. :)

4. daddydowse said:
    January 9, 2008

Alnwick is also home to Alnwick Castle, otherwise known as Hogwarts from the first Harry Potter film. It also has the most wonderful man-made water feature you’ll ever see.

The tree house is phenominal and can only be appreciated by seeing it in the flesh. It also has walkways through the trees leading from the treehouse. Stairs also allow you climb over the roof of the tree house.

If your ever in the North East of England, make a date to go to Alnwick!!!

5. giL said:
    January 9, 2008

They are all great but the Takashi Kobayashi one is genius. Simple, functional, cheap, open to the sun in winter yet providing a fantastic shadow during summer. So Japanese. I love it.

6. John said:
    January 10, 2008

fantastic!
    i love no.2.
    it’s cool idea

7. THeGorilla said:
    January 10, 2008

Amazing.

I love it.

8. Dannah said:
    January 10, 2008

Wow. I especially love the first one!

9. Cameron said:
    January 10, 2008

The best treehouse in recent times is easily Andrew Maynard’s Protest Shelter.

It is a great structure, while also being environmentally and politically savvy.

10. taries said:
    January 11, 2008

its amazing

11. Pete said:
    January 11, 2008

Brilliant. Remind me of Myst. Wish you’ll remove the Nestlé advertising though, feels contradictory of the theme.

12. Julie 1 said:
    January 12, 2008

You might enjoy pics of the treehouse we built last summer:

13. Anonymous said:
    January 12, 2008

OOPS.. I accidentally started a forest fire..
    *walks away*

14. john said:
    January 13, 2008

Id like to use one to hunt deer and coyotes.

15. RWW said:
    January 15, 2008

Good idea.

16. Ken in STL said:
    January 15, 2008

This will always be my favourite …

17. sex said:
    January 22, 2008

i would like fucking with a good & pretty girl in that treehouses . you can add me to my e.mail

18. toby said:
    February 1, 2008

The first one looks as if it was from the Myst series

19. emo said:
    February 10, 2008

its very beautiful ! !
    and cool ! ! ! !

20. Parvaneh said:
    February 12, 2008

i wish i was have lived in one of them with my love…!

21. February 15, 2008

i would so live in a treehouse it would be the coolist ever. i like cheese and eggs. famly guy is the best show ever

22. Pat said:
    May 29, 2008

It is said that in ancient Lemuria, people lived in the trees… now I see the incredible possibilities :)))

Many Thanks!

Pat Crosby

23. Shelby!!!! said:
    June 3, 2008

Whoa. Me and my grandpa (please note that I am 11 years of age) are trying to build a tree house and I assure you it will not appear on this website! ;) Cheers- Shelby

24. hannah&hearts said:
    June 8, 2008

Wow! These tree-houses are simply amazing. The are no words I can conjure up to describe the wonderful quality and beauty of the simple idea of a tree house. I loved it and will share these pictures with many a people.
    Thanks! I enjoyed these pictures and videos alot!
    I will be looking to build a tree house, but only wishing it would be one like this.
    -Hannah (age 12) =]

25. ananomous said:
    July 23, 2008

Holly CRAPPPP these are cool

26. kati carmichael said:
    August 2, 2008

i see all theese great trees but try and build one on a palm tree to show my dad it is possible! :-D

27. aliasger said:
    August 20, 2008

beutiful houses & also like to see some more beutiful houses. thank you…

28. TaKiah said:
    September 21, 2008

I luv house numba 2 + 3

29. edward said:
    September 27, 2008

WOW! all of these treehouses are amazing! i especially like the 3rd and 4th one! great architecture! thanks!

30. unknown...hehe said:
    December 9, 2008

beautiful…

31. Marky said:
    January 10, 2009

I Absolutely LUV!!!!! these tree houses. They are so amazing. I would like to try and build on but that would be like impossible for me and my brother! :-) The very first one is awesome! I love how it is circulur and then you walk out on to a bridge and then down winedy stairs.

This site awesome!

32. January 24, 2009

hey that tree house is so cool. how much is those kind of tree house we so want one .

33. Liam&mama said:
    February 11, 2009

Wow! We are going to build a treehouse on our new land. What wonderful ideas and inspiration.

34. Triveni said:
    March 1, 2009

Hi The 6th one superbbbbbbbbbbbbb! I love Tree Houses and I has a plan to built them:)

35. Gordon Brown said:
    March 10, 2009

Hi, If you like Treehouses have at look at my new Treehouse
    site. Let me know whatcha think, I hope you like them. :o)
    I was the original designer for the Alnwick Garden Treehouse (Photo.8)
    way back in the day, was a great project to work on.

36. penelope shweisburg said:
    March 15, 2009

wowzas!!! these are incredible!!!! i love my life!!! thank you so
    very much for loving me back you but muncher incorperated!!!!!

37. cunny said:
    March 23, 2009

to the cunt in the video who doesn’t want to cut down trees for a
    house, HALLO you’re fuxing sphere is made out of wood.DEADSHIT

38. Elizabeth said:
    March 30, 2009

WOW!! (Yes I know I put two exlamation points) I wonder if the disigns are still avaliable.
    I would love to build it! I already have 7 treehouses. :)

39. HannahLovesJimmy said:
    May 6, 2009

Wow! I like the free spirit spheres!

40. May 17, 2009

#4 is my favorite. I have to wonder, though, how long a house like
    this would last. With the trees still growing, would you have to
    prune your house? Would the plaster crack as the trunks expanded?
    Would moisture & lack of sun exposure on the trunks invite wood
    destroying insects to infest the inner roof?

41. Gordon Brown said:
    May 17, 2009

Like anything as long as you look after it, a Treehouse can
    last 15-25 years easy. There is a Treehouse in the Uk which was
    constructed in the 16th century and is still around today.

42. jamie said:
    June 30, 2009

these kind of houses are good for the enviorment and it realy good and can last for a long time if you take mcare of it

43. tracy said:
    July 6, 2009

i have alos liked the idea of people living in tree houses instead of our
    boring less imaginative houses which most of the popularity leave in.
    looking at these houses i am starting to hope that maybe someday more people
    will be living in works of art making life just that much more interesting.
    hopefully it will be during my time.

44. John said:
    August 13, 2009

please take a look and let us know what you think!
    Baumraum is my absolute favorite!

45. Lil Sweet said:
    August 26, 2009

i like them all but they arent all “tree” houses, i thought of a tree house of the ones our dads built a long time ago, or even the ones we built for our kids

46. vanillaice said:
    September 13, 2009

those are good.. but i need something better.. i want to build a treehouse for the disable.. can sumone giv me an idea..

47. Ginge said:
    September 16, 2009

The eye ball house is tight dog

48. red head said:
    September 18, 2009

yeh your rite and you sound pretty kool dude

49. September 23, 2009

My goal in life is to find a way to live in one of those.

50. Brit said:
    September 24, 2009

Ohhhhhhh. That is TRULY one of my ONLY goals!!! LOL. Would be SoSoSo happy giving art lessons and painting forever… and happily ever after!!!!! :)

51. jo scheer said:
    October 4, 2009

Okay, okay, the hooch didn’t make it in the top 8 category, but those who have been lucky enough to spend a night in one would certainly vote it “above it all”. It is pre-fabricated, does not require specific architecture for a specific tree, and sits on a single point- the smallest foundation ever! Many, many hooches have planted themselves all over the world, the latest installation was at the 2009 Burning Man celebration. The hooches in Puerto Rico, at the Tropical TReehouse, are totally self sufficient- solar hot water, rainwater catchment, solar 12 volt electricity, kitchenettes, flush toilets, shower, and killer views of the Caribbean sea. Whoa!

52. October 19, 2009

I’ve never seen anything like. Amazing!

53. MiNi_maTchStIck said:
    November 6, 2009

HAHA kl it loks lik a cue ball

54. mini match stick said:
    November 6, 2009

Wow those houses are insane but i think my tree house should be up there but ginge you are right the eye ball house is really cool

55. David said:
    November 12, 2009

hey this is a fine example of sustainable living, tear down the old cement and asphalt culture! we have to adapt to the future.

56. Gracie said:
    November 15, 2009

hey i agree.

57. plywood said:
    March 30, 2010

hmm we have to adapt to the future.

58. alberto said:
    May 19, 2010

the “eyeball house” amazing lol funny

59. Matt said:
    August 1, 2010

Wow some great tree houses ! Number 3 is my fav.

Thanks for sharing

60. homestyles furniture said:
    September 6, 2010

Amazing! these house look like wonder. I wish to see real these houses. this is a fine example of sustainable living

61. swap said:
    September 12, 2010

let me share with my project of the tree-house designed for the Russian famous composer and misician Alexander Shulgin. For this project was designed exterior, interioor, unic loudspeakers and acoustical environment.

62. Cari Uang said:
    October 22, 2010

amazing, its a great idea about nature

63. Rosendo Kupstas said:
    December 14, 2010

hey everyone, I was just checkin’ out this blog and I really like the basis of the article, and have nothing to do, so if anyone would like to to have an interesting discussion about it, please contact me on skype, my name is katie pollum

64. health system canada said:
    December 29, 2010

65. January 13, 2011

I love how each one of these tree houses are so unique and vastly different from one another.

66. Chachomwe Mtimuni said:
    April 8, 2011

Awesome! Totally love it!

67. May 19, 2011

Hi there! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new apple iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the great work!

68. June Tuna said:
    May 23, 2011

I’ve never seen a tree house like that.It is cool.wish I could stay inside there.

69. May 25, 2011

Wow, that is so home awesome! My friends and I hang out in this very special tree in our neighborhood, but we have no planks to support ourselves! We only sit in the branches. My friends would love these top 8 treehouses! THIS IS AWESOME!

70. e sağlık said:
    June 3, 2011

My blog has opened so many doors for me and has helped me land quite a few jobs. By being immersed in writing and showing initiative, having a blog has been a great platform and portfolio. And I would recommend to anyone looking to start or build a portfolio to have a blog.

71. djl nj said:
    June 15, 2011

Wow I am astonished its so amazing ive never seen anything so nice

72. October 5, 2012

Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for you make blogging look easy

73. October 17, 2012

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely wonderful. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it sensible. I can not wait to read far more from you. This is actually a tremendous web site.

74. kurier said:
    June 24, 2013

This is a beautiful shot with very good lighting

60 Trackbacks

1. [...] Cool Tree Houses [...]

2. [...] Treehouses Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses [...]

3. [...] dejo estas sorprendentes imágenes de las casas árbol más impresionantes del mundo. No me veo viviendo en una de [...]

4. By meneame.net on January 10, 2008

Las 8 más increibles Casas Árboles…

En la página del link vienen 8 de las más increibles casas árboles que se pueden ver en el mundo. En algunos casos incluye tambien un video….

5. By www.enchilame.com on January 10, 2008

Las 8 más increibles Casas Árboles…

Las 8 mejores y mas increibles casas en los arboles del mundo. Disfruten pues el tener un hogar comodo jaja…

6. By LVHRD.ORG » Blog Archive » Top 12 buildings you don’t live in on January 10, 2008

[...] Free Spirit Spheres, Canada (More treehouses here and here) [...]

7. By Häftiga trädhus | Pakten Prylar on January 10, 2008

[...] Jag kan inte säga att jag har haft något direkt intresse av att bo uppe i ett träd sedan jag var en liten knodd och byggde kojor, men freshome.com har fått mig att tänka efter lite. De har listat de åtta häftigaste husen som är omkretsade av träd, och en semestervistelse i ett par av dessa hade inte varit mig emot. Här kan du läsa hela artikeln. [...]

8. [...] see more here. [...]

9. By links for 2008-01-11 - KusMijnKloten.ch on January 11, 2008

[...] Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses via lichtgeraakt (tags: architecture design treehouse green) [...]

10. By soheicube linkpost on January 12, 2008

すごいTreehouseベスト8…

Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses [via Neatorama]
    ……

11. [...] amazing tree houses source: notcot [...]

12. By Las 8 casas arbol mas impresionantes | Zujar Blog (Rastreando la Web) on January 12, 2008

[...] de las mas impresionantes casas árbol del [...]

13. By Treehouse of your dreams on January 12, 2008

[...] saran wrap windows (wait, am I the only one who used saran wrap for the windows?), these are some sweet tree-based dwellings. No Comments, Comment or [...]

14. By Little Legends Blog » Blog Archive » Tree houses on January 13, 2008

15. By the new shelton wet/dry on January 14, 2008

[...] Tree houses. [...]

16. [...] 8 удивителни дървени къщурки – снимки и видео [...]

17. [...] Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses via Freshome Posted by Honey Filed in All entries, Photos [...]

18. [...] are 8 of the coolest in the latter [...]

19. By Papa Mike’s Blog » Blog Archive » Most Amazing Tree Houses on January 16, 2008

[...] Tree houses are buildings constructed among the branches or next to the trunk of one or more mature trees, and are some distance off the ground. [...]

20. [...] Freshome’s Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses [...]

21. By Amazing Japanese Tree Houses on January 27, 2008

[...] See other Amazing Tree Houses from around the world [...]

22. By Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses on January 27, 2008

[...] See more of the Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses [...]

23. By Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses on January 27, 2008

[...] See more of the Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses [...]

24. [...] 1, 2008 by benhoak –Ever wanted to live in a treehouse? Check out this article about the top treehouses in the world. Very cool. One [...]

25. By »Blog Archiv » Amazing Tree Houses on February 3, 2008

[...] more @ http://freshome.com/ [...]

26. [...] – but sped up and using stop-motion techniques to illustrate the process. Thanks to Deputy Dog and Freshome and for more sustainable designs be sure sure to see these collections of strange recycled [...]

27. [...] Hübsch anzusehen sind sie alle irgendwie. Bleibt als Erwachsener nur noch die Frage zu klären ob DSL möglich ist. Alle die trotz dieser Ungewissheit in der Natur ganz nah sein wollen sei Baumraum empfohlen. Die machen das dann. [via] [...]

28. [...] http://freshome.com/2008/01/08/top-8-most-amazing-tree-houses/ Las 8 mejores casas en los arboles de freshome.com [...]

29. [...] Top-Eight amazing tree-houses [...]

30. By Baumhaus-Träume on July 7, 2008

[...] möchte. Wer sich noch weitere ausgefallene Baumhaus-Modelle anschauen möchte, der sei auf diese Galerie verwiesen. Männer  drucken Subscribe to RSS feed Leave a [...]

31. By Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses « Toplists on July 14, 2008

[...] the term “tree fort” is used only for recreational structures and not permanent homes. In this post you can see the 8 of the most amazing tree houses ever [...]

32. By Baumhäuser « Blaubeere’s Weblog on August 3, 2008

[...] August 3, 2008 Baumhäuser Posted by blaubeere under Uncategorized | Schlagworte: große Kinder |   Das Haus könnte mir gefallen. Gefunden hier. [...]

33. By Die besten Baumhäuser der Welt » Beitrag » das-ist-cool.com on August 8, 2008
  34. [...] from larch and Douglas pine it can virtually be put in every tree out there. Is that the coolest treehouse you’ve ever seen? – via [...]

35. [...] from larch and Douglas pine it can virtually be put in every tree out there. Is that the coolest treehouse you’ve ever seen? – via [...]

36. By ArchiTecture Info Center » Blog Archive » 10 Amazing Tree Houses from Around the World: Sustainable, Unique and Creative Designs on December 15, 2008

[...] up and using stop-motion techniques to illustrate the process. Thanks in part to Deputy Dog and Freshome and for more sustainable designs be sure to see these collections of strange recycled architecture, [...]

37. [...]   Credit: freshome [...]

38. By Baumhaus-Konzepte | lilagrün.de on March 23, 2009

[...] Der Vorstellung von Andreas Wennings Baumhäusern möchte ich diesen Post zur Seite stellen. Freshsome hat acht interessante Baumhauskonzepte ausfindig gemacht. Warum lebe ich in einer Wohnung? Related [...]

39. [...] Link: 8 Most amazing Tree Houses (via Freshome) [...]

40. [...] via [...]

41. [...] FreshHome’s own list, both of which include this floating orb house. What’s the floor [...]

42. [...] Tree Houses To contrast the "Underground" thread, I wanted to bring up another new trend in housing: tree houses! I personally would find it more exciting and "bright" to live in a tree, and some architects have really been going all out in the design of these things. They even keep the health and life of the tree in mind so that the homes are still eco-friendly. This site has some absolutely amazing ones! Tree Houses [...]

43. By TWAWKI » Amazing or unusual on April 27, 2010

[...] around the world ; shipping container houses ; plastic bottle houses ; strange and amazing houses ; amazing tree houses AKPC_IDS += [...]

44. [...] of trees greatest gifts to mankind has been housing. But it’s tree houses that truly get me excited. And there are amazing examples all over the place. On your next holiday [...]

45. [...] Source [...]

46. By Casa lasa homes | Bagelry on December 31, 2010

[...] Top 8 Most Amazing Tree HousesLas 8 mejores y mas increibles casas en los arboles del mundo. …. Casa Schierle, a Lovely Sustainable Home in Germany … [...]

47. [...] posted a wonderful collection of the 8 best treehouses. Definitely worth a look. I remember building my first treehouse with my friend Marios. We were [...]

48. [...] Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses Jan 8, 2008 … By Amazing Japanese Tree Houses on January 27, 2008 at 12:59 am …. simple blog in March 2007 and today we have almost 5000 unique articles with more than 30000 pictures …so we're … [...]

49. [...] Cat Furniture, Cat Trees, Cat PerchesBuild Your Own Cat Tree – What Type Of Carpet Is Best?Top 8 Most Amazing Tree HousesBuild Your Own Cat Tree – How To Pick the Right Carpet For Your [...]

50. By Most amazing pictures of 2008 on August 6, 2011

[...] Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses Jan 8, 2008 … By Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses at Bangkok Mafia on January 9, 2008 at 9:00 am … [...]

51. By Amazing pictures of trees on August 16, 2011

[...] Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses Jan 8, 2008 … In this post you can see the 8 of the most amazing tree houses … Kos' creation floats within the fir trees on Lake Muskoka, ….. Posted by Honey Filed in All entries, Photos [. ... [...]

52. [...] Check out Seven Other Tree Houses Here [...]

53. By Pictures of amazing homes on September 12, 2011

[...] Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses Jan 8, 2008 … Tree houses are buildings constructed among the branches or next to … design ideas, home decorating photos and pictures, home design … tree house Top 8 Most Amazing Tree Houses … [...]

54. By 世界八大树屋 « i生态 on September 17, 2011

[...] 链接 | 来源 [...]

55. By Cat Tree Houses on October 11, 2011

[...] tree houses[/affmage] [affmage source="amazon" results="5"]cat tree houses[/affmage] Cat Tree Condos Make For Happy Cats And Even Happier Cat OwnersMost cat owners love their cats. How…al instincts, to climb and scratch especially when their cats choose to do their climbing and [...]

56. By Tree Houses for Grown Ups | 9 Bytz on November 1, 2011

[...] Freshomedesigned by free spirit spheres Source: yellow tree house Source: tammy cody on pinterest Source: [...]

57. [...] Via [...]