Freshome
Home Furniture Design Ideas, Pictures and Inspiration Ikea Furniture Shopping Tips From A Former Employee

Ikea Furniture Shopping Tips From A Former Employee

ikea shop Ikea Furniture Shopping Tips From A Former Employee

I wanted to write a post about Ikea, but I couldn’t decide what to write, and I didn’t had enough information, but today searching for materials for this blog I’ve found some tips that can be useful for those who want a new piece of furniture, and Ikea is the store from where they will purchase the furniture. These tips come from a former IKEA worker.

1. IKEA lives on add-on sales, and where they make their money. The stores are designed to get you though every department, but there are shortcuts. Use them liberally; ask for the fastest way to where you need to go. There’s a ton of cheap stuff along the way for you to grab, and it adds up fast. Before you check out, evaluate what’s in your cart and if you really need/ want it and you’ll save a good chunk of cash. Also, in the first showroom area, avoid what’s called the ‘open the wallet’ area- tons of small, cool, cheap stuff you can grab- it gets you in the buying mood, and ‘opens your wallet’. Everything there is duplicated later on, so if you see something really cool, write it down and look for it later.
  2. The 30-day return policy is (sort of) a lie. IKEA will generally return stuff like wal-mart (but should not be confused with that evil place), so keep receipts if at all possible. And if anything is wrong with the product, take it apart and bring it backw. Be sure to check the boxes for damage before you check out.
  3. IKEA sells tons of cheap crap, but the higher priced stuff is well worth the money, lasts for a long time and usually carries a warranty.

If you want to find out more tips before buying something from IKEA continue reading on Consumerist.

Get Updates (it's free) Enter your email to get FREE blog updates

9 responses to “Ikea Furniture Shopping Tips From A Former Employee” - Add yours!

1. Sleaves said:
    July 18, 2007

Do Ikea employees get drug tested when they are hired or do they just do random? I figured they might not even have drug test being a European company…

2. Michael said:
    July 18, 2007

I didn’t heard IKEA to make drug tests, only if you have problems after you work maybe.

3. Sleaves said:
    August 12, 2007

I was finally hired by the Ikea in Draper, UT. and they drug test with a saliva drug test. Once there sure there gonna hire you. The funny thing is I take Methadone, Klonapin, and a type of adderall. and they didn,t blink a eye at hiring me.They didn,t even ask for my prescriptions. I think they just care about the illegal drugs, Cannabis, Coke, Heroin, Ect.

4. Sleaves said:
    October 20, 2007

Screw Ikea! They hire a bunch of people and have them work for a few weeks. Then they lay em off because they hire to many people. After that they lower your hours until your below 20, so you’ll quit. Just to be cheap and avoid all the money that they should be paying for lost wages, because we thought we had a job and quit our old ones. (That way they don’t have to pay out to the unemployment department, because you quit and they didn’t lay you off!

5. December 22, 2009

I am smitten by the way you covered this topic. It is not often I come across a website with absorbing articles like yours. I will make a note of your feed to keep up to date with your incoming updates.Just brilliant and do continue up the solid work.

6. Tracee Raddatz, Retail Locations said:
    February 13, 2010

Astounding man! A lot of your stuff is really Brilliant.

7. Lorina Brentz said:
    April 17, 2010

I will make sure and bookmark this page, I will come back to follow you more.

8. September 27, 2010

Reading your blog has really opened my eyes to alot. Many thanks.

9. estetik said:
    April 7, 2011

Good article i like and thank you for this article.