Spending money on new furniture to build our comfortable and convenient interior space may not be an option for those with little cash on their hand. They usually opt for used furniture, but it has a few drawbacks. How should we value, search and inspect it, is crucial so here are five tips you should consider for a wise buying decision.
- Inspecting furniture – This is the first thing you should consider, because condition is the most important aspect in determining value. If you want to make sure your furniture is not going to fall apart in the next couple of months don’t buy on impulse. Instead, take your time and inspect each piece thoroughly. If it’s made of quality wood, with good joints and a good bonding glue you’re going to buy the furniture with confidence, not with fear.
- Use it first – Since you won’t be able to see the most important parts, you should test the furniture first. Lean on tables and tip back chairs. If it’s a sofa make sure the frame is not altered so go ahead, squeeze the arms and chairs and even extend it to make sure those metallic parts are working fine.
- Know your space – The size of the rooms and the dimensions of the entrances or the stairs are extremely important facts you should be aware of, if you don’t want to keep the furniture in your garage. You’re paying real money so better check if you can put it in and if it fits well with your other pieces.
- Have a budget – If you want to be a wise shopper then having a budget and sticking to it, is essential. Make your plan and decide how much you can afford to pay for each item and negotiate down to the last dollar. Also, don’t forget the delivery cost. See if the seller provides delivery and if not, make sure that when you add it to the total cost it’s a good number that you can afford.
- Where to find bargains – Yes, it is possible to decorate your room even if it’s with used furniture, but where can we find the best prices? There are bargains galore at garage sales, flea markets, online auctions, local consignment stores, junk stores, rental furniture outlets, salvage yards, warehouse outlet sales and local real estate auctions. Check them all to see what are the prices and then choose what you need.
Buying used furniture is not a simple decision as many think, but following the steps above will sure get you a very good deal that you’ll be happy with.