Did our post 40 Small Bedroom Ideas To Make Your Home Look Bigger inspire you to give your tiny bedroom a makeover? Great … but where do you get the right space-saving furniture and accessories to make your small bedroom as awesome as the ideas? Good news: You’ve come to the right place. Here are 85 ideas for beds, storage, case goods, closet walls, mirrors, bookcases, desks and lighting for your small bedroom.
Here are the nine space-saving furniture categories we cover:
Let’s start with the most important piece in the bedroom: the bed. Just because you’re space-challenged doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have a beautiful, inviting bed. The secret to space-saving furniture is to find items that work double duty. Here are some beds that offer plenty of storage space to declutter and beautify your small bedroom.
1. Ikea Mandal Headboard and Mandal Bed Frame let you add as many shelves as you need to the headboard and can be cut to fit your wall. The base comes with drawer storage beneath.
2. Room and Board Platform Bed is available in 14 colors and has open space beneath for items.
3. West Elm Simple Bed Frame in chocolate is minimalist enough to stand alone; add one of the under-bed storage options for more space.
4. Ikea Brimnes Bed Frame has plenty of storage in the headboard and base.
5. Room and Board Wyatt Bed With Storage Drawer has a drawer that opens in the front when a small bedroom is narrow.
6. BluDot Modu-licious Bed is two-tone in walnut with white storage drawers.
7. Flou makes innovative bed systems in a variety of styles, all with a pop-up storage option.
8. West Elm Stella Metal Bed is elegant, light and tall enough to hide boxes and items underneath. Add a bedskirt if you don’t want to see what’s under the bed.
Take back space from the dust bunnies with these under-bed storage products:
1. Basket Lady makes stylish wicker boxes specifically for under-bed storage.
2. Room and Board Steel Storage Drawer is sturdy enough for heavy items and has wheels.
3. Walmart Rolling Underbed Storage has a chalkboard panel for labeling.
4. Ikea Vardo Underbed Storage Box rolls, comes in black and white and has a cover to keep out dust.
5. Container Store Wide Underbed Drawer has a clear panel to see the contents.
6. Container Store Sliding Underbed Shoe Organizer slides easily for daily access.
7. Ikea Brusali Underbed Storage Boxes come in pairs sized for a full or queen bed.
8. Container Store Long Underbed Box has wheels for ease of access.
9. Container Store Grey Underbed Box is striking enough to look great wherever storage is needed.
10. DII Home Essentials Breathable Bag at Amazon.com stores bulky items such as winter gear or blankets.
Tip: Check out our post on bedding ideas for a luxurious, hotel-like bed to make yours more inviting.
Storage can be a challenge in a small bedroom. But there are some great apartment-size dressers, chests and nightstands on the market. Some of the best space-saving furniture for your bedroom include:
1. Crate and Barrel Barnes Wardrobe uses height and multifunctional storage including shelves and drawers to maximize space.
2. Gumdesign Sognibelli Lamp with Shelf at zeroombra.com comes in a handful of colors and serves as a multipurpose nightstand.
3. West Elm Mid-Century 3-Drawer Dresser is 36 inches wide and 18 inches deep to fit small bedrooms.
4. Container Store Bisley 5-Drawer Cabinet makes an industrial-chic, colorful nightstand and comes in several colors.
5. Ikea Lack Wall Shelf Unit works as a narrow, nightstand with vertical storage.
6. HGTV Home City Center Gentlemen’s Chest at wayfair.com is 18 inches deep and can hide a bevy of items.
7. West Elm Nash Teak Nightstand can tuck around your bed to work as a tray table.
8. CB2 Sift 2-Story Tower is a mere 14 inches wide and 12 inches deep to work in the tiniest of bedrooms.
9. CB2 Slice Wall Mounted Storage Shelf is a creative side table option; hang one or more as needed.
10. Safavieh Lilly 6-Drawer Lingerie Chest at allmodern.com provides narrow and cheerful storage.
Tip: Don’t fret if you can’t have the traditional set of two nightstands and a dresser in your bedroom. You can always work with one nightstand, house your small dresser in the closet (if space allows) or use bookshelves or floating ledges as nightstands.
If you don’t have a closet or it’s just too small, consider adding a closet wall around your bed or on an open bedroom wall. Closet walls, available in space-saving, narrow depths, take advantage of the bedroom’s height to maximize storage and add a sleek look to your small bedroom. Here are some of the best narrow closet-wall systems, wardrobes and wall units:
1. Ikea Odda Wardrobe is chic in black and white.
2. Ikea Pax Wardrobe is reflectively modern in high-gloss teal.
3. CB2 Reflection Wardrobe works as both storage and a dressing mirror.
4. Manhattan Comfort Downtown Armoire at wayfair.com looks just like a modern, custom built-in.
5. Manhattan Comfort Noho Armoire at wayfair.com is sleek and comes with space-saving sliding doors.
6. Sauder HomePlus Cabinet at hayneedle.com is tall and narrow enough to group more than one on a wall.
7. Home Loft Concept Poole Armoire at allmodern.com looks like a vintage trunk.
Tip: Add lighting to your closet wall interiors.
Make use of valuable wall (and door) space by mounting additional storage to the back of your door. How about using nail-free over-the-door storage that simply hangs on your door? Here are some clever options:
1. Real Simple Multi-Pocket Organizer at bedbathandbeyond.com has plenty of pockets for storage.
2. Richards Homewares Over the Door Valet at wayfair.com is perfect for hanging items.
3. OIA Overdoor Basket Unit at wayfair.com is lightweight and sturdy enough to load up.
4. Bed Bath and Beyond Stradford Unit has a corkboard, mirror and more.
5. Container Store PerfectCurve Bag Rack organizes handbags without taking up space.
6. Container Store PEVA Overdoor Shoe Bag is a favorite, thanks to its 24 clear pockets.
7. Container Store Overdoor Shoe Rack is an updated way to organize 36 pairs of shoes.
8. InnerSpace Luxury Products Jewelry Armoire at amazon.com organizes your jewelry and comes with a mirror.
9. Container Store Bruschia 6-Hook Overdoor Rack makes a quick and versatile catch-all for bags, coats, hats and scarves.
10. Wildon Home Lynbar Over the Door Basket Storage at wayfair.com has three rattan baskets.
Tip: Clear, behind-the-door shoe hangers can be used for much more than just shoes.
Mirrors are a great addition to a small bedroom because they reflect light and give the illusion of a bigger room. They also can take up valuable wall space — unless you choose one of these smart, multipurpose mirrors:
1. Mercury Row Jewelry Armoire at wayfair.com is a mirror and jewelry chest in one.
2. Proman Products Venice Wall-Mount Jewelry Armoire at shopladder.com adds a photo album to its door.
3. Adarn Inc. Tall Jewelry Armoire and Mirror at houzz.com serves double duty in a small space.
4. Bellaterra Home Solid Wood Frame Mirror at corbeluniverse.com has an integrated shelf for small items.
5. Artiva USA Bella Home Deluxe Mirror and Swivel Cabinet at overstock.com has four shelves and a drawer.
6. Native Trails Solace Mirror Bamboo Shelf at ybath.com is earth-friendly and versatile.
7. Nexxt Design Tate Mirror at wayfair.com offers storage and style.
8. Arredaclick Cambridge Hallway Cabinet is a great wall-mounted small-space solution.
9. Crate and Barrel Rand Wall Mounted Coat Rack and Mirror has plenty of hooks and a mirror for touch-ups.
10. Ikea Algot Mirror Unit offers wall-mounted storage including baskets and shelf options.
Bookcases and wall shelves are the perfect small-bedroom storage idea. They’re modern and versatile, and — if chosen well — they don’t take up valuable space. Our post 10 Floating Shelves to Create Contemporary Wall Displays has a collection of some of the best floating shelves. Here are some modern bookcases that are space-saving furniture options for your small bedroom:
1. West Elm Tiered Tower Bookcase is crafted of metal and mirrored shelves.
2. West Elm Grid Frame Short Bookcase can be stacked to hold even more.
3. Ikea Fjalkinge Shelving Unit comes with centered drawers for the little things.
4. CB2 3.14 Bookcase has a minimalist design.
5. Eurostyle Ryn Bookcase at allmodern.com can be placed horizontally or vertically and in groups.
6. Jesper Entertainment Collection Expando Bookcase at houzz.com is a modular unit meant for stacking.
7. Danya B Large Corner Wall Mount Shelf at amazon.com makes use of forgotten corners.
8. Tema Home Shell Rotating Shelving Unit at amazon.com spins like a Lazy Susan for easy access.
9. Ikea Vittsjo Shelving Unit is lightweight and designed for small spaces.
10. Modmobili BrickBox systems are modular crates that can be customized to fit your space.
Tip: Don’t have room for a dresser but need storage for socks and other small items? Add a couple of baskets or boxes to the bottom shelf of your bookcase to serve as drawers.
A workspace is often necessary in a bedroom, and a small-bedroom office can be practical and attractive if you have the right desk. No room for a chair? Use a stool that can serve as a nightstand when not in use. Here are some space-saving desks for your small bedroom:
1. CB2 Peekaboo Acrylic Console is a perfect small-bedroom desk option.
2. Ikea Micke Desk is less than 30 inches wide; use one as a nightstand/desk combo, if space permits.
3. CB2 Helix Acacia Desk takes up minimal space physically and visually.
4. Wooden Mallet Wall Desk at stacksandstacks.com in light oak is a space-saving option.
5. Container Store Solid Wood Roll-Out Desk expands as more space is required.
6. West Elm Mid-Century Mini Desk is a pared-down version of the company’s Mid-Century Desk.
7. West Elm Industrial Storage Mini Desk is small and organic with a wood slab look.
8. West Elm Parsons Mini Desk is versatile enough to work as more than a desk.
9. Furniture of America Modern Leaning Office Desk at amazon.com can be moved from wall to wall.
10. Wooden Mallet Wall Desk/Laptop Workstation at amazon.com is a fold-down option in a mahogany finish.
Tip: Use wall space to get items off your writing surface by adding shallow, floating ledges under and over your desk for additional storage. Shelves and wall-mounted storage help keep your desktop clear and uncluttered.
1. Litesource Eveleen Floor Lamp with Tray Table at lampsplus.com has a built-in glass table; try it as a nightstand.
2. Cerno Libri Wall Sconce/Reading Light at 2modern.com has mid-century flair and plenty of function.
3. Almerich Alux Wall Lamp at interior-deluxe.com is a wall-mounted lamp with an integrated steel shelf.
4. Gen 2 i-Tower Daylight LED Floor Lamp at lampsplus.com is small and sleek but offers plenty of light.
5. George Kovacs Arc Floor Lamp at eurostylelighting.com illuminates a room from an out-of-the-way corner.
6. Pablo Tube Top Small Table Lamps at designpublic.com are colorful and narrow enough for the smallest side table.
7. Room and Board Cortina Table Lamp is narrow and casts a bright glow.
8. Nelson Saucer Wall Sconce at designwithinreach.com is a design classic, now in a space-saving sconce version.
9. Adesso Parker Shelf Floor Lamp with Drawer at amazon.com serves as a triple-duty piece.
10. CB2 Greyline Table Lamp has a clear glass base to minimize visual bulk and display objects underneath.