Every year the desire to decorate your home for the holidays evokes a sense of togetherness and tradition. While the beautiful colors and ambiance of the season are inspiring, nothing comes to life without the addition of inspiring lighting. From your Christmas tree to your exterior home, holiday lighting is the reason your home sparkles at the holiday. Try these lighting ideas around your home this season to make it a memorable holiday for you and your holiday guests.
- Set the scene: The holidays are all about celebrating the grandeur of the season. Capture the magic with a scene fit for a wonderland in your home. Festive lighting on the tree, with creative accents such as a lighted pine garland on the fireplace mantle will bring instant ambiance to any room. If you have space, use playful pre-lit deer, and other wildlife animals to set the scene below your tree or fireplace. Light up your foyer and front entry with battery powered candles, to avoid dangling and unsightly cords. Create winter wonderland vignettes around your home with creative lighting enhancements.
- Choose accent lighting to enhance: Accent lighting is an important asset to any holiday home. Whether you are decorating the outside of your home, or you are highlighting festive decor, try using these tips to enhance with accent lights:
- String lighting – These days string lights come in every color under the rainbow to enhance any decor, and have decorative nature, animals, winter, and Christmas themes to enhance your home.
- Candles to light the table – Don’t forget the holiday table. Accent lights in the form of pre-lit garland, votive candles, small lanterns, and overhead colorful pendant fabric shades can turn a boring dining table into a festive holiday focal point.
- Subtle light for ambiance: Holiday lighting can excite with colorful chasing and blinking lights for a fun and memorable holiday for little ones, or it can bring memories of lightly falling snow, and twinkling white lights for an intimate holiday gathering. Consider using white lights for subtlety as well as candles. Candlelight casts its own warmth and glow, perfect for a fireplace mantle, lanterns placed on your doorstep, or the traditional luminaries placed outside in paper bags to line your neighborhood streets. For added texture, vary heights of candles in hurricane lamps and vases for a sophisticated touch to a holiday evening party.
- Metallic finishes make for sparkling enhancements: Holiday lighting can also refer to the sparkle and shimmer of decorative accents. From silver cool tones, to warm gold finishes, metal and glitter accents that reflect light are a unexpected surprise to holiday interiors. Christmas tree ornaments, votive candleholders, shimmering garland, and spray painted branches of natural decor add originality to your home. Create an inspiring tablescape with live flowers, evergreen and mirrored jars filled with poinsettias, cranberries or holiday foliage to coordinate with your surrounding holiday interior decor. Take your fireplace mantle from autumn into winter beautifully using these metallic inspiration ideas.
Whether you’re celebrating the holidays in a one-room apartment, or a sprawling estate, holiday lighting can make any place feel like home. Festive lighting can create a wintery scene in your hot desert home, or it can warm up your blustery freezing loft. Regardless of the temperature outside, lighting has the ability to tempt your senses with memories of holidays gone by, and the power to start new traditions with your family. Use these holiday lighting ideas, and bring in some ideas of your own. After all, the holidays only come once a year, make it special!
What creative ideas do you have for lighting this holiday season?