Ventless Fireplaces, an Innovative Way to Warm Up the Atmosphere

Ventless Fireplaces, an Innovative Way to Warm Up the Atmosphere

We’ve recently received an e-mail from Hearth Cabinet™, a fireplace company based in New York, showcasing their innovative Ventless Fireplace: According to the designers,” too often consumers mistakenly believe that they cannot have a fireplace because their home or apartment does not have a chimney or flue. “With Hearth Cabinet™, it is possible for any residence or commercial site to feature the warm glow of a real, crackling fire. The Hearth Cabinet™ is a ventless fireplace system that burns a patent pending alcohol fuel cartridge. You don’t need a gas line or a chimney and it does not use electricity. There is a real flame but there is no smoke. To light a fire you open the lock on the patent pending safety door, insert the cartridge into the holder and light it with a long match or BBQ lighter. You get a beautiful golden yellow fire without smoke that lasts about two hours. When the fire is out you can recycle the metal cartridge. The system comes with a snuffer plate so you can put the fire out at any time.

The ventless fireplaces are said to be 100% safe and eco-friendly. They are available in traditional and contemporary standard modular designs that fit any style surround or mantel. For now, the company’s products have received approval in New York, but this idea definitely creates opportunities for more and more spaces to have access to a cozy room with a fireplace.

One comment

  • Chris Laumer-Giddens December 7, 2010 at 15:35 PMLogin to Reply →

    These are wonderful, in theory. But, in practice, they CAN be a disaster to the health of the occupants. They let off an unhealthy amount of Carbon Monoxide in to the living space.

    With an increased desire energy efficiency (, homes are being designed and built to be tighter to prevent infiltration and exfiltration, which decreases the demand on the heating and cooling equipment, which lowers utility bills. A common misconception about ‘tight’ homes, is that the tighter it is, the more chance for mold…not exactly! For more on that see this article –

    My point is that vent-less heaters and fireplaces are a bad idea for interior use. For even more, read this article by another building science professional, Alex Wilson –

    Direct Vent fireplaces are safer and cleaner gas units that should be recommended in lieu of vent-less.