Your kitchen cabinets are the first part of your kitchen that people focus on when they enter. Whether that is good or bad depends on happy you are with your current kitchen cabinets. If you are trying to choose another type of cabinet style there are plenty of choices to choose from. Although, you will need to make a few key decisions first – cabinet material, color, door style, and decorative accessories are all important. Read on to find out how to choose a dynamic kitchen cabinet style.
- What décor style is your kitchen: Depending on your decorative style of your kitchen will be the driving factor in choosing a cabinet style. Is your home traditional with ornate wood details and old time charm? You will prefer cabinetry that has fine detailing in the doors and possibly intricate door hardware. Is your home minimalistic and modern with very little detailing and sleek finishes? You may prefer a lacquer luster to your kitchen cabinets or even metal may be more your direction of style.
- Choose a material: The most common material is wood for kitchen cabinets. Wood is durable, versatile, and can be stained or painted and can have a million different looks. Other materials include metal/stainless steel, plastic laminate, and lower quality MDF or particle board. Depending on your lifestyle and budget will help you decide on a material that suits your style and wallet. Metal cabinets and wood are more expensive than plastic laminate and particle board.
- Colors, colors, colors: Once you’ve decided on a material, it’s time to choose the color. Wood stains for cabinetry comes in a variety of colors. Choose from light bamboo colored stain to the darkest espresso mahogany color. Wood can also be painted with semi-gloss to high-gloss enamel paint, and therefore any color is your option. If you choose metal, you’ll want to visit a metal cabinet manufacturer for stock colors that they sell, or the traditional exposed stainless steel is gorgeous on its own.
- The door style makes the cabinet: When choosing cabinetry the door style is what you’re really choosing for your decoration. To find cabinet doors, bring home samples or pictures from your local cabinetry dealer. Choose minimal lines for modern kitchens, exposed simple lines for Craftsman style, and intricate detailed doors for a traditional look. Many cabinetry companies will have a sales person that can bring samples to your home to compare in your kitchen. This is a great idea if you are wavering on a style!
- Accessories for your cabinets: Door pulls; crown molding and wine racks can be added to your cabinets for a finished style. For homes that prefer simplicity, long slender door pulls should be considered. To save money, have your cabinets installed by a professional, and do the door pulls yourself. Home improvement stores have a wide selection, as well as custom hardware can be ordered online and installed by you for a fraction of a professional installer. Accessories can take your cabinets from ordinary to one-of-a-kind!
Customize your kitchen experience by adding cabinets that reflect your personal style. Just as there is an unlimited number of colors, cabinet styles too are limitless! Choose your style and then start grabbing inspiration. If you still feel lost, consider hiring a kitchen designer that can help you take your ideas and make them a reality!
Freshome Reader’s tell us what is your favorite kitchen cabinet style? Do you prefer streamlined modern or a weathered cottage style? Leave us comments below.