How to Create a Relaxing Environment in Your Urban Home
Ideas

How to Create a Relaxing Environment in Your Urban Home

The urban lifestyle of living can be exciting and familiar. The close proximity to resources, shops, and convenient transportation are amenities which urban dwellers love.  The flip side of urban living can be loud traffic, close proximity to neighboring noise, and restricted views from certain rooms of your home.  If you are an urban dweller that lives 10 stories above the street, you may not encounter these challenges.  For those that do have to face these challenges, here are ways to create a relaxing environment inside of your urban home.

NOISE: The sounds of cars and street life can often be a nuisance.  To help filter out sounds consider materials in your home that will help block, and slow down the transmission of sound. If you live in a home that you can change out the windows, consider buying double paned windows.  This will help in noise reduction, and will increase your energy savings by keeping air leaks to a minimum. If you can’t change the windows, heavy drapery and layering window treatments may help keep noise levels lower. To make your space more relaxing, consider having a fountain that generates soft sounds that will also help mask noise.

LIGHT: In urban living the amount of windows that is in your home is a hot commodity.  Meaning, the more large windows you have the more desirable your home is.  Often times the amount of light that comes through urban homes is too much and needs to be softened.  Through the use of layered window coverings, sheers, drapery and blinds can give you more control on the ambiance of your space.   If you have the opposite challenge of not enough light, then try to make your space brighter through use of wall color, décor, and creative artificial lighting.  Humans crave spaces with light.  If your space feels like you can manipulate the lighting, you will instantly feel more relaxed and at peace.

CRAVING NATURE: Some urban living spaces have the drawback of not being one with nature as a suburban home would be.  This fact shouldn’t prevent you from being creative and bringing in nature to your urban space.  Live plants, greenery, water, and organic materials can help your space get that nature ‘fix’ that you love.  Use wall murals, paintings, and rugs made from jute, and sea grass to have your interiors feel calming and welcome.  Does your building have a rooftop terrace area or balconies? These spaces can help you get fresh air, reconnect with the outdoors, and have a brief escape when nature is what you’re craving.

Your urban home can be a relaxing sanctuary regardless of the hustle and bustle outdoors.  Urban living is one of the most popular and desirable ways to live.  It combines cosmopolitan living and working all in one area, who wouldn’t love this? Follow these tips and see how your space is transformed.

Freshome Reader’s, share with us your experiences of urban living. Do you have special techniques to deal with the challenges that urban living throws you? We’d love to hear from you!

• anti fatigue mats July 27, 2010 at 11:03 AM Login to Reply →

Some really enticing pictures of urban homes.

• Johanne July 27, 2010 at 18:34 PM Login to Reply →

I loe the idea of a calming environment-I leave in Downtown Montreal and it is very busy -I am thinking of make a rooftop garden to reconnect with my suberban soul.
    I have found this book which gives great insight and how to on making great gardens!
    I am looking forward to next spring -and try to convince my husband to go ahead…this may be hard!
    link to the book if you are interested:

• Susie M July 27, 2010 at 18:35 PM Login to Reply →

The idea in that last picture is inspiring. I love all of the rooms but the glassed in dining room that separates a sanctuary from the home while keeping the open space look with the wall completely made up of windows just makes me smile a serene smile.

• Nature Guy July 27, 2010 at 22:53 PM Login to Reply →

Great article!! I agree that an interior water fountain is an excellent noise masker as it produces natural ‘white noise’.

• mary July 27, 2010 at 23:41 PM Login to Reply →

i would like to see more pictures Please ^^

• anti fatigue mats July 28, 2010 at 04:58 AM Login to Reply →

Those pictures really look enticing. Can you post more and I am subscribing to your feeds.

• RoniqueGibson July 28, 2010 at 09:50 AM Login to Reply →

Johanne,

Thanks for the comment. A rooftop garden is an excellent idea! That book looks good, let me know how it turns out.

• RoniqueGibson July 28, 2010 at 09:52 AM Login to Reply →

Exactly! A fountain would also give your brain a way to not focus on the chaos outside! Thanks for the comment!

• Jedineka July 28, 2010 at 10:30 AM Login to Reply →

this pictures are really amazing !

• Elise Lowerison July 29, 2010 at 22:46 PM Login to Reply →

I came across your post this afternoon while browsing interior design blogs and the topic of window treatment selection was very interesting to me in modernizing your space. It is true that you must dress your windows appropriately to bring out their true beauty. Thank you for writing and as a special thanks to you and your readers, I would like to offer a 20% off coupon using this code upon checkout: BLG20.

• TeeOhEye July 31, 2010 at 21:26 PM Login to Reply →

I like the idea of bringing nature inside. I don’t have a rooftap space in my apartment, but I try to fill my space with living plants and flowers. It makes a huge difference!

• Guido August 1, 2010 at 04:42 AM Login to Reply →

Hi,

Great post with interesting content! Good tips to get nature inside home.
    I would say that my techniques to deal with the challenges of urban living, it is just try to open it as much to the outside, having as much intermediate spaces as we can, like terraces and gardens. Thanks for the post!!!

• RoniqueGibson August 12, 2010 at 02:18 AM Login to Reply →

Thank you Elise for the coupon offer to Freshome reader’s!

• RoniqueGibson August 12, 2010 at 02:19 AM Login to Reply →

Plants are an excellent way to make you feel one with nature, and not like you’re living in a concrete box!

• RoniqueGibson August 12, 2010 at 02:19 AM Login to Reply →

Thanks Guido – intermediate spaces are essential, thanks for your comments.