Freshome
Home Ideas : Design Ideas, Pictures, Unique Products and Inspiration Freshome Reader Needs Help: Planning His New Apartment

Freshome Reader Needs Help: Planning His New Apartment

Floor Plan e1279779237213 Freshome Reader Needs Help: Planning His New Apartment freshome HMSF combined Freshome Reader Needs Help: Planning His New Apartment

ALON: Help me design my living room, kitchen and parents bedroom. My design dilemmas:
  1. 1. where to put the TV – LCD.
  2. 2. What kind of sofa I can use?
  3. 3. lighting?
  4. 4. do I need separator for the kitchen to the living room?
  5. 5. what about the dining table?
  6. 6. how to decorate the living room, the kitchen and the bedroom.
  7. 7. I need general guiding how to design my new apartment.
EDITOR: Freshome Reader’s, share some advice on how he can design these three rooms of his apartment.

If you would like to enter Help My Space Freshome! Click here for all the details. Freshome reader’s will comment on your space and help you solve your design dilemma.

Get Updates (it's free) Enter your email to get FREE blog updates

24 responses to “Freshome Reader Needs Help: Planning His New Apartment” - Add yours!

1. LukeSF said:
    July 23, 2010

here’s a quick idea as for the TV, sofa, table and divider
    I suggest the TV to go to the wall which is opposite to the kitchen.
    In front of it to put the sofa, so you are with your back to the kitchen when relaxing.
    Instead of the divider I suggest to use a wide bar-deck like table, which will serve as a dining and also will zone the area of the living room and the kitchen.
    Made a quick and rough visualization here… Scale is not taken into account, it’s merely to give you an idea and maybe have a start point for others’ comments…
    May have a look here

Cheers and hope it will be of some help

2. LukeSF said:
    July 23, 2010

update… chairs which are depicted on the scheme can of course be on the other side of the table or on both… depends how many of you live there…
    When on the opposite side, then you can watch TV while dining :)

3. Shagun said:
    July 23, 2010

i have done a similar space like this.. would be great if you can email me… ..an open plan kitchen would be a great idea. it would give a better picture if you could upload some pictures of the place to be done.. even what does the place look like.. if its modern or traditional!.

4. iD09 said:
    July 23, 2010

mmm i agree with shagun this is something that need some pics of the space… we can all give you ideas but we need to know what you are looking for to better provide you with a design… ie how you want to use the space… the orientation and type of light you are getting in these areas…. u can email me a plan and i’ll send u something back…

5. Char said:
    July 23, 2010

I agree with LukeSF on the placement of the sofa & TV, although you might be able to use a sectional if it will fit through your entry door. I think that if you place your dining room table in the middle of your kitchen space, about 1 meter, more or less, from the counters you can use it as an island for extra prep space for your kitchen, when you’re not eating at it of course.
    As for the bedroom, it’s wider than it’s long so I’d place the wardrobe on the left wall and the bed on the back wall.

6. ahmed kordi said:
    July 23, 2010
  7. Johanne said:
    July 23, 2010

Hi Alon
    just a few quick things come to mind,however I dont know your taste!
    here is quickly how i would do it:
    re lcd -i would put on your end wall centered this way anyone can see it from everywhere and you wont get the window glare.
    sofas-i would put modular sofas and small table as well as a chair and ottoman
    …dining room -i would use a round table
    kitchen I would put an island that extends into an office nook towards the dining area and I would defenitly add cabinets and counter space on the fridge wall…
    I can send you pictures if you want?
    denimgirl.

8. sket said:
    July 24, 2010

If you can post some pictures here Johanne that would be nice ;)

9. Pimpão said:
    July 25, 2010

Just like Johanne says, I don´t know your style.

And I don´t know the kind of finish styles you have in your house ( floor kind, kitchen cabinets, and others ).

Since you have a small living room connected to the kitchen, you could try finding some door solutions for hiding the kitchen cabinets ( like a closet style, if you know what I mean ). But if money is a problem at hand ( some of those solutions are really expensive ), you may try finding some new fronts for your cabinets, with lacquered finish and no handles to give a clean and simple view ( as a said, I don´t know your kind of style ).

Regarding dinning solutions, best choice is a round table, glass top, diam. 120cm máx. It will give for 4 to 6 persons top.
    If your that kind of persons that likes to have family and friends reunited, then choose a square table 100×100 ext. 200 cm. But beware… not that much free space, but you can put the table near the wall of the windows ( you may consider losing one side of the table by putting it againts the same wall – you will find some pictures in the net regarding this solution – many decorators put a large mirror on the top of the tabel so that it will give a “mirage” of a bigger table, in a bigger space)

I made some 3D solutions for the living room ( has well of the dinning room ) for your consideration. Please give it a look and then give some feedback.

Pimpão

Links:

10. Mei Teh said:
    July 26, 2010

What country commonly using ArchiCad software for working in interior & architectural design job? Thank you.

11. sket said:
    July 26, 2010

I’ve done some work on this over the weekend. I combined the photos in a single ‘film strip’ like image and the only way i can share it here is to upload it to rapidshare : )

Hope you guys like it. You can download the file here

12. Alon said:
    July 27, 2010

Thank you guys for all your ideas. You all really kame me focus on my thought regarding living room design. I am into modern design.
    I need help wher to place lighting in my desired places. can you help?
    Pimpão, Thats looks great. great space. I need more then one sofa.
    Johanne, Yes, Please send me pictures if you can.
    ahmed kordi, Love your design.
    Shagun & iD09, Where to send you my photos?
    Char & LukeSF, This desing is my idea for the first time. thanks.

13. LukeSF said:
    July 27, 2010

@sket That’s impressive! Love how you made the bathroom design. And a glass sliding door… Great add on to the bedroom design
    Like how you arranged the open space, though not sure what’s the wall with the clock left for since you moved the fridge to the kitchen’s wall. Maybe removing it would give more space to the entire room and make it easier to move around?
    By the way, what software is used for modeling?

14. LukeSF said:
    July 27, 2010

@ Alon And what’s the second sofa for?

15. Alon said:
    July 28, 2010

sket, really amazing.
    I need second sifa cos’ I have one child for now and we plan more and we have guests sometins…
    I currently have one sofa with 3 seats and two single sofas…

16. sket said:
    July 28, 2010

@LukeSF, thanx. The vanity top in the master bathroom extends into the shower through that glass partition so he can put his shampoos and showergels on it instead of the floor. That is why the glass door is regular, not slider. The slider doors are between the bedroom and the bathroom.. i think that saves on space and opens it up.

In the open area initially i left the fridge where it is in the construction plan (even put a double fridge) and ended up with a too large L-shaped kitchen. There was no need for it to be that big, so i moved all of it into a single line, and now the size is just about right for that apartment. I moved the small wall so he can have an office nook (inspired by Johanne’s coment). If i took out the wall it would be like the office is in the kitchen and we dont want that : )

The dining table is probably too big. It would be best if he put in a table that seats four and can extend to fit more people.

I used SketchUp for modeling and Vray for rendering.

17. LukeSF said:
    July 28, 2010

@sket Then everything makes sense :)
    Will check what Sketch Up is… never heard of that…

18. sket said:
    July 28, 2010

@Alon | Since you need more seating space, i redesigned the living and dining area. I put a partition wall between the kitchen and the dining area just to define the space a bit. You could even paint that wall in some color your family likes. If you want to get all fancy, you could even put an ethanol fireplace in that opening i left in the wall and wow gests at dinner ; )

Anyway, here is the link for the pictures.

19. Shani said:
    July 29, 2010

Hi Alon! If you happen to live in Israel (wild guess….), feel free to contact me through my mail: shani.ring@gmail.com, I’ll be happy to help – I’m an interior designer living in Tel Aviv.

20. ahmed kordi said:
    July 30, 2010

hi alon
    u can put L shape sofa instead of sofa and chair that makes u have 2 SOFAS

21. Kinshuk Mathur said:
    July 31, 2010

@sket – awsome work! looks really Great
    and yes, as kordi said, an L-shaped sofa is a very nice idea!

22. niv mizrahi said:
    August 3, 2010

hi alon
    i will be happy to help you design your apartmentn my name is niv and i a interior designer from haifa my Email is:
    mizrahi77@gmail.com
    0545311100

23. atticaNord said:
    August 24, 2010

i was on vacations and i just saw your post, take a look, http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=18&id=100001395090374&l=f4a47a7b3a

24. Doug Rasic said:
    August 31, 2010

I am looking for a effective and compact design for a 2BR house with built in wardrobes,on suite bathroom and 1 separate WC.
    Appreciate anyones help.

One Trackback

1. By Freshome Reader Help: Needs Ideas for Kitchen & Living Room | Stylish Home Design on October 2, 2010

[...] Freshome Reader Needs Help: Planning His New Apartment [...]