Simple Ways to Make Your Apartment Feel Like Home
Apartments

Simple Ways to Make Your Apartment Feel Like Home

Apartment living can be exciting, and fun. If it’s your first or you twentieth, apartment dwellers enjoy the freedom of mobility, and living with roommates and friends. While others don’t enjoy living in an apartment because they feel like they are restricted and tied into the appearance of an apartment.  Before you get too upset, check with your landlord or apartment management company to find out what the decorating guidelines are for your place.  Once you know, follow these tips on how to make your lifeless apartment feel like home.

ANALYZE: Take a look at your apartment room by room, and analyze its good and bad points. Make a list of what areas you’d like to accentuate and what areas you want to minimize.  If you don’t have any windows in a room, note that you want to bring light colors, and more lighting into the space. If you love the view out of the living room, note that you want the couch to face in that direction.  Analyzing the space will give you a plan to move forward in making the space your own.  Visualize how it WILL be one day.

BUDGET: Determine how much you have to spend before you hit IKEA! It’s easy to say you only need a few items, and then 3 stores later you are $500.00 over budget. Have a small budget? Buy key items that will go a long way. Area rugs, window treatments, bedding, and towels are all items that are relatively inexpensive, but can add color and warmth to your apartment immediately. If you have a larger budget, purchase furniture pieces that are necessities first. A bed, sofa, and dining room table/chairs may be important for entertaining. If you have multiple roommates, ask them to split the cost of large ticket items.

COLOR: Often times, your landlord will let you paint because it’s not interfering with the structural integrity of the apartment. Painting is the easiest, cheapest, and fastest way to change the mood and décor in a space.  Be creative with coordinating colors throughout your apartment. For smaller apartments, use lighter colors, especially if there are minimal windows.  Management said ‘No’, to painting the walls? Consider using fabric hung with nails, and room divider screens to bring color, personality and definition to your apartment.

PERSONAL TOUCHES: Have you ever heard the saying, “Home is where you lay your hat?”  It means your home is wherever you call home. Display pictures, memorabilia, and personal items from your previous home in your new apartment. Frame collectibles and sentimental items in decorative frames, and shadow boxes to make you feel comfortable. Bring items from your last loved home into your new apartment.

Your apartment is only a few details away from making it look and feel like home.

• apt_personalize_bed
  • apt_analyze
  • Small-Apartment
  • apartment-plan
  • apartment-furniture-budget

Apartment living can be exciting, and fun. If it’s your first or you twentieth, apartment dwellers enjoy the freedom of mobility, and living with roommates and friends. While others don’t enjoy living in an apartment because they feel like they are restricted and tied into the appearance of an apartment.  Before you get too upset, […]

" data-pin-do="buttonPin" data-pin-config="above">

• Benny July 2, 2010 at 12:36 PM Login to Reply →

hallo, Ronique!
    You missed the first and the most important thing – we need to know what we want to get before we start to look for! This is the most difficult point, too. Always and forever. And this time, too. Good luck!

• mary July 3, 2010 at 21:30 PM Login to Reply →

THAT LIVINGROOM IS BANGING

• RoniqueGibson July 4, 2010 at 22:17 PM Login to Reply →

Hi Benny!

Explain to me further your comment ‘You missed the first and the most important thing – we need to know what we want to get before we start to look for! This is the most difficult point, too’

Maybe I can do an article on what you are looking for.

Thanks for you comment.

• RoniqueGibson July 4, 2010 at 22:18 PM Login to Reply →

I love it too Mary!

• wendy-liondance July 5, 2010 at 02:46 AM Login to Reply →

Home is where you lay your hat!Good sentence!

• Benny July 5, 2010 at 09:14 AM Login to Reply →

Hallo, Ronique!
    Thanks for your reaction!
    I’d like to comment my opinion, I will be able to do it tonight.
    See you soon
    Benny

• Benny July 7, 2010 at 16:30 PM Login to Reply →

Hallo, Ronique!
    Here is my short explanation of “You missed the first and the most important thing…..”. Excuse me in advance – I am not an English speaker, my language could be hard to understand for you.

For preface.
    We like many different things. These are our life-time dreams to fill one day (or just for dreaming a little bit). These are desires comes from some moment or situation. Sometimes – these are very practical things for e.g. our home. We have so MANY feelings, ideas, dreams. We are involved in many different activities – to buy something, to get something, to realize something, to earn big amount of money……

But did we ever had just ONE clarity of our real needs even in ONE simple point?

If we can to come closer to our real needs – just some short steps – we would find that we do not need so many things!…..

Opinion.
    In your article you are inviting to start with analyze of bad/good points of apartment room. In my eyes this is a way to “never get the apartment I realy need”. Why?
    The same as before – I have to start with my own clarity of my needs (this time – to apartment living): necessary functions, level, view outside the windows, part of the city, safety, children playground, neighbours etc, etc, etc. When I get this schedule, maybe I’ll find that my apartment does not fit to me!!! Even more – I have to change/sell it as soon as possible!!!
    If I do not have the apartment, yet, but look for some – without a clear schedule of needs I organize for myself something like a gambling or Russian roulette – maybe it would be My apartment, maybe it turn to “I am not satisfied”.

Conclusion.
    Please, do not feel sad! I do not want to slight your work. No. I am just saying that your article is based on designer’s point of view. I am inviting you to look through the eyes of people who wants to be happy in their living space. Maybe I am wrong and your article is dedicated to professional designers. If so – please, excuse me for my lack of understanding.
    Anyway – there are many technics/methods/experiences to understand our own needs in the world. Our needs to any kind of our personal points. This would be an article:)

Thanks for your patience!
    Benny

• RoniqueGibson July 7, 2010 at 17:13 PM Login to Reply →

Hi Benny,

I appreciate your honesty and your explanation of ‘needs’ vs. ‘wants. I do agree, we live in a very materialistic world where good and bad points are very subjective. I for one, am a designer, but I’m also a mother, a career oriented person, and someone who loves my home!

I hope that when you read my articles, you understand that I’m trying to enrich people’s home life through my eyes. Although, not always right, I appreciate and respect that others have their own view on homelife. :)

Thanks for taking the time to comment Benny!

• florence haridan July 13, 2010 at 14:43 PM Login to Reply →

diggin the dialogue with the blog author, this is a rare thing! nice to know she cares what her readers are saying.

• Stacey July 13, 2010 at 15:16 PM Login to Reply →

Very good points. I’m about to make the the transition from owning a home–back to apartment living–and dread not being able to make the modifications I might need to be comfortable. The fabric on the walls is a great idea if the landlord won’t allow painting or if you don’t want to worry about having to repaint before you leave.

• تجريبي كوم July 24, 2010 at 16:18 PM Login to Reply →