Freshome
Home Ideas : Design Ideas, Pictures, Unique Products and Inspiration Please Comment :What do You Think About the New Design ?

Please Comment :What do You Think About the New Design ?

new vs old design Please Comment :What do You Think About the New Design ?

If you are following Freshome on Facebook or Twitter you already know that we were planning a new design, and today we just launched the new and improved ( I hope so ) website. Since I’ve launched the new design a few people told me what they like and what they don’t like at the new version. Here are a few of their ideas about the new version from our Facebook page. Finally I’d like to ask you to post a comment with your thoughts and suggestions about the new version of Freshome. Tell us what you like and what you don’t like. Thanks !

new design comments Please Comment :What do You Think About the New Design ?

Get Updates (it's free) Enter your email to get FREE blog updates

55 responses to “Please Comment :What do You Think About the New Design ?” - Add yours!

1. Paris Humphrey Jr said:
    May 4, 2010

Deff a clean new redesign functional and easier to navigate, i like : )

2. May 4, 2010

Site looks much better now! Green is definietely more ‘fresh’ than black.

3. May 4, 2010

Hi,

This is an awesome design. I am in love with it. I think it is less cluttered, easier to promote (posts) and will help readers using smaller resolution screens.

4. alan said:
    May 4, 2010

while it definitely looks cleaner, i don’t like the minimal stories per page. also, the little picture doesn’t show me enough about the story to actually click it and see what it’s about. i like the way there were numerous pictures from each story on the old site. it held my attention better and required fewer clicks. i don’t have the attention span to click into and out of each story. matter of fact, this is likely the only story i will even read on this site today.

5. Jefferson said:
    May 4, 2010

I liked it becaus now you don’t need to wait for all pics to load and you can go straight to what interests you. I don’t like the narrow pictures though. They don’t enough for a good preview on each topic.

6. May 4, 2010

What’s the point? You gonna change it? As with all designs, the person that pays for the design is the one that needs to be pleased.

Or just trolling for comments? That’s OK too. :)

7. Michael said:
    May 4, 2010

TrendyExaminer – Maybe we did something wrong, and we can learn from other people, not just to have more comments. :)

8. Kimmo said:
    May 4, 2010

Looks much better, except one thing caught my eye and is really annoying. Body/input/textarea has letter-spacing of 0.03em, take that away and the text is much clearer and easier to read.

At the moment having that tiny letter-spacing in the text makes these weird spaces in the middle of a word instead of the letters being evenly distributed like it normally is with letter-spacing 0 (default).

Other than that, good job :)

9. JDx said:
    May 4, 2010

I dont like it, you have to click every single item now. I liked the quick overview and big pictures.

The design looks good, but it’s much less user friendly!!

10. May 4, 2010

Problem !!
    The navigation at the bottom of the page for older posts are not seen in Safari browsers.

11. mary k said:
    May 4, 2010

i prefer the old site one could easily access whatever they wanted and it had a lot of options to choose from, this one seems likes it doesn’t give u much options.

12. dfross said:
    May 4, 2010

I don´t like this shadows at left .. make no sense

13. Canadianna said:
    May 4, 2010

I love the new design, have the bar down just the right side instead of both sides is much cleaner. I have to agree with some of the others though about the image sizes, I miss the big images on the home page and I’m not that inclined to click to see the full images.

14. Silvia said:

new is better!

15. Beth said:
    May 4, 2010

It’s much cleaner which is nice, but I’m never a fan of having to click through to read an article. I understand that it’s better for analytics and organizing/condensing the home page. Do what you gotta do. :)

16. n/a said:
    May 4, 2010

shoot, stab or whatever hurt the one who wrote css (style sheets) – they are buggy! and most of the time this makes scrolling into painful slideshow…

17. sadie said:
    May 4, 2010

The only thing i like about it is the green instead of black. Other than that, the previous desighn was, in my opinion, much better. Good idea to change it up a little though, it shows us that you care about our experience looking at your website.

18. Elana Richerd said:
    May 4, 2010

PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK! (you can keep the green though) The new desighn is pretty much ruining the whole thing for me! Oh, and i like being able to type the page number i wanna be on at the bottom of the page; when it’s like it is now, it takes 10 minutes just to get to the page i left off the day b4.

19. Daren said:
    May 5, 2010

Please incorporate the “random ideas” section/links from the old version into the new version. I have spent many hours going from random idea to random idea – it is very useful for generating design ideas. Thanks

20. FSL said:
    May 5, 2010

Like the old one better. The one picture and brief text for each story is hardly interesting enough to click through for more.

21. Megan said:
    May 5, 2010

i like the new look but i don’t know how to look at older post and i can’t visit the site everyday but i like to see all the post

22. Zap said:
    May 5, 2010

I don’t like the little images either, for example in the topic “Furniture Ideas that Literally Stand Out, Milan 2010″ you just get to see a little piece of wall and that’s not a good description of the whole topic, don’t like to have to click on each post to see what’s about.

23. Wendy said:
    May 5, 2010

I really don’t like it. I loved it the way it was. Where are the houses to look at. That was the main reason I came to this site everyday. Too confusing this way.

24. Masoud Iranian said:

Hi!
    I need Random Ideas section. I love it.
    Voting for articles is not a good idea.
    the overall view is good.

25. Thierry said:
    May 5, 2010

Its kinda a cool design, but it would be helpful if there was that small box at the bottom to enable us to navigate faster to the all posts. (Right now I’m reading the archives from the first articles & I’m at page 570; it has become quite difficult to fly to those pages when I open the browser.)

26. Anton said:

Looks better and cleaner

27. John said:
    May 5, 2010

the design is more tidy but the images of the threads are low quality and u don’t see the whole picture and before it was easier to see all pictures without opening the article.so make the pictures appear like the old design

thnx

28. me said:
    May 5, 2010

Pictures are too small, i prefer entire picture instead it’s particular and more article instead a short description.

29. Samuel said:

Better then the old one

30. adyra said:
    May 5, 2010

It’s not so much time since I found out about the site.
    I think that it looks better with the new color scheme, but I found very annoying the fact that in Firefox (2.0) and in Safari (4.0) I am not able to see the page navigation links.
    Also, in IE6 the design is a bit messy.

31. Sharon said:
    May 5, 2010

Love the new layout. Overall, the only thing i don’t like is the ‘click to view more’ function. So lazy to do that. Would prefer to see everything on the page instead of clicking.

32. maty said:
    May 5, 2010

Exept for the small pictures, this layout is better. ;)

33. May 5, 2010

I like it =) Looks much better and clearer than before =)

34. May 5, 2010

cool and clean.. love it… load faster than beefore.

35. Ilumini said:
    May 5, 2010

more posts per page and more pics would be perfect!
    like the round buttons and harmoic design!

36. Seth said:
    May 5, 2010

I don’t like to have to click on each post to see what’s about. Bigger pics and more please…

37. Shane said:
    May 6, 2010

love the new look! read you every morning to get my creative side going. Thanks Shane (Toronto)

38. Chris said:
    May 6, 2010

meh, try using a mouseover event for each image that will show a blown up version of the link without having to click the link for each individual page.

39. Daniel said:
    May 6, 2010

Looks good but I liked seeing most of the photos on the main page without having to click in to each one.
    I like the frame on the right posting the popular articles.
    More post per page would be great. 5 is just too few. The page loads in less than a second. It’s okay if it takes a couple more seconds for twice as many articles. Or at least give the user an option for how many post appear per page.

40. Elena said:
    May 6, 2010

I really like the simplification of the layout.

41. Throwben said:
    May 6, 2010

I miss the “next”-button so much! Also it´s just not that comfortable that i can´t see whole article anymore not bevore i clicked on view more. But though this blog looks sexier now.

42. rajeev said:
    May 6, 2010

“Next page” button is missing

43. smartjoebar said:
    May 6, 2010

that´s better, but that link in the picture??

regards!

44. Shane H. said:
    May 7, 2010

I visit freshome everyday and I think the new look is cleaner and more professional. However the change was so slight that it took me a bit to even notice the change. I would suggest a bit more of a revamp while not loosing the freshome look that we identify it with; that’s just me being critical. Overall I love the site!

45. jorgen said:
    May 8, 2010

its… new. there are some good and some bad things to the new style. pro’s: it is cleaner than before. and refreshing.
    con’s: only 1pic per post. the pics load fast enough, and only 1pic makes or brakes my reading the rest of the post. on the old one, i could see more pic per post, so i could see more easily if i wanted to read the actual post. now with only one, i skip a lot more…

sincerly
    jorgen

46. Hung said:
    May 8, 2010

I like green color in new design but i can’t see how to jump page in this design.Can you show me,please.
    Thank

47. Memoljon said:
    May 8, 2010

I don’t really like it. I don’t like to be forced to click and open a new page for every single posts! no, no, believe me. It’s not a good idea. Please change it back!

48. KevonA said:
    May 9, 2010

Im sorry but i dont like the new design,,, i get really annouyed when I have to open a diff link for every post…I liked the old leyout better
    but thx for the hard work

49. Michael said:
    May 9, 2010

Although the look of the site is very clean and fresh is very annoying that you have to enter in a article to see the extra pictures and the rest of the article. Maybe you have to keep the new look only for the menus and the side column and leave the center column as it was before which was very convenient that you didn’t had to do all this extra clicks to see the new articles and images. My rate is 3/10

50. Michael said:
    May 11, 2010

I like the visual design of the new version but like a lot of other people in the comments also liked seeing all of the images in the main page rather than having to click through to the article.

As an improvement suggestion, I’d like to have an easier way to get to the next page. The page numbers at the bottom are a bit fiddly given it is such a common task. A really simple “next page” button with the prominence of the “last” page button would make it much easier to catch up on all the great content. BTW I can’t imagine lots of people actually want to navigate to the last page so it should probably be far less prominent.

51. Paweł said:
    May 11, 2010

As a web designer I find some changes good and some bad.
    I dislike the new menu. It blends with the google ad and is kind of difficult to see for me. There is more about things that I would change…bu what I like is the new background and shadings on the side. Makes it look modern and pleases my eye :D Back to the menu – it looks old, same for the search field.

Sorry for my crapy english.

52. alkohaly said:
    May 31, 2010

very goog & faster than old

53. Alan said:
    June 23, 2010

i prefer the old one where all the pics can be shown on each page. there isn’t a need to open many different tabs to view the works or post in depth.

Just a suggestion

Cheers

54. sergio portides said:
    July 4, 2010

The old design may have been framed better but the new design is much more functional.I was very pleased with the related topics at the bottom of each page,makes finding things you like simpler,quicker something I’m sure everyone can apreciate.Thank you for the effort.

55. May 20, 2011