Freshome

Interior Design Fail

Usually I don’t post things like this on Freshome, but today when I received this picture from a reader I was just speechless. After some time I’ve thought that I should post this on Freshome because this crazy idea is to much fun, and everybody likes to see something funny from time to time. So what do you think about this “interior design fail” ? I’m really interested in hearing your opinion, or funny comment about this …so leave a comment please. – P.S – Is not a bank, is not a casino, …is a home.

interior design fail Interior Design Fail

Get Updates (it's free) Enter your email to get FREE blog updates

34 responses to “Interior Design Fail” - Add yours!

1. Q said:
    August 3, 2009

don’t do it again..

2. Eleanor Olsen said:
    August 3, 2009

One thing I have learned over the years is that there is nothing ugly, just misplaced objects. So is this in a bank?

3. Leanne Mitchel said:
    August 3, 2009

There is a book called “Atlas Shrugged” that has had a huge resurgence in popularity lately. In the book, the $ is used throughout as a symbol of freedom and individuality. That symbol has great meaning for many people. I can totally understand why they would incorporate it into their design. Better this than sappy sayings written on walls under the guise of great thought.

4. kevin said:

delightfully tacky…..

5. davehimslef said:
    August 4, 2009

Lets not make excuses. This is ridiculous. You will likely find it in the “game room” of an athlete or a pop star. But don’t worry. It will not effect the resale value of the home. Because the home will either be gutted or torn down when its owner is entirely bankrupt 4 months from now.

6. Angel said:

50 Cent’s house?

7. pantohe said:
    August 4, 2009

Hideous, don’t do it again….

8. Megan said:
    August 4, 2009

Actually i have a feeling it would look ok in the right kind of room. Not my taste but i would love to see the entire room to see the balance against other furnishings.

9. Jasper said:
    August 4, 2009

Well… the only place money signs would look good is if you’re Richie Rich!

10. Johan Lont said:
    August 4, 2009

You can’t criticize it before it’s been completed. Although I would prefer a Euro (€) symbol.

11. noah said:
    August 4, 2009

I was disappointed when I saw the title of the post. I’ve seen innumerable design “fails” but this actually looks pretty well executed.

If I saw this on MTV Cribs, then yeah… I’d think it was kinda lame, but my first thought was the Atlas Shrugged reference. I’m also reminded of the whole “Secret” phenomenon of projecting/visualizing your wishes/hopes. Maybe this is the owner’s version of a dream poster or whatever.

Anyway, it’s funny how everyone would be singing a different tune were it demonstrated to be in a certain context… like, if this was in a StArchitect designed house -some sort of art piece… would it be tacky or gaudy then?

12. Nick said:

pretentious

13. marux said:
    August 4, 2009

Is this Scrooge McDuck house?

14. Timothy Burgess said:
    August 4, 2009

I was thinking with todays economy a cents sign would have been more appropriate!

15. Timothy Burgess said:
    August 4, 2009

With all due respect, I beg to differ. Majority of American’s interpret this sign as a symbol of monetary value, wealth, greed, etc. I personally, as do many others, find the sayings much more tasteful than this eyesore attached to the ceiling. Further, even if people recognize the symbol as freedom or individuality, the way it was executed is absolutely hideous. Really, look at the picture; there is no aesthetic value at all!

16. thrillcook said:
    August 5, 2009

the owner wanted to hide their safe in an inconspicuous location, everybody looks behind the painting

17. Xuan said:
    August 6, 2009

I agree completely. I honestly did not find the design tacky or worth named a “fail”…. This is actually my first time reading the comments on the post to see how other readers actually react to this (I use feeds). Sure the design may not be in the right place, but it’s not a fail (not a win either), but it’s okay.

18. Marko said:
    August 6, 2009

To each his own, for my taste it’s pathetic…

19. no said:
    August 14, 2009

If it’s personally significant for whoever puts it into their home, if it’s not going to be painted gold in a room full of sofas built out of dollar bills, maybe that can work. Design isn’t about pleasing everyone else, and meaning isn’t about being meaningful to others.

20. Dave said:
    August 19, 2009

Hard to say “fail” without more context. If this is part of a “money themed” theater room, with an original “Oceans 11″ poster box on the wall and the world’s coins in acrylic coating the counter of the bar in the back, I’d say it’s pretty sweet. If it’s hovering over the couches in the living room, I’d say it’s godawful.

Regardless of the question of taste, that thing must’ve been hard to build and put up there. Judging from the apparent unevenness of the seals, and the misalignment with the placement drawings on the ceiling, I give this structure a pretty short lifespan.

I am, however, VERY amused by the automated “See more amazing related interior design ideas:” section just below the post. I’m pretty sure Rachel Smith photographs and Reese-Roberts designs really wouldn’t appreciate being associated with such “interior design fail” ;)

21. Simon said:
    August 20, 2009

For ages people have been building small shrines and altars of their gods at home, let the guy have his deity on display too.

22. Esther C. said:
    August 21, 2009

i know this is gonna sound weird, it actually inspires me that im thinking of doing the same in my newly bought house…as known as the-girl-with-a-dollar-sign-on-the-forehead might as well change to the-girl-with-a-dollar-sign-up-her-ceiling =p

23. anarchist-Li said:
    September 1, 2009

hmm, i dont like it, if someone HAS to show everyone that he has lots of money or dreams about it then i feel sorry for that person

24. DzynOne said:
    September 23, 2009

Either it’s someone who came from nothing and suddenly became successful or a ball player/rappers house. Actually they could be the same.

25. bugs said:
    October 11, 2009

it’s very funny indeed, maybe owner has a specific scene of humor, but it is not “fail” of course

26. January 26, 2010

I don’t what this person was thinking but must have an obsession with money, this is something that I would not have in my home.

27. pupufcu said:
    January 29, 2010

My only question is: Where is this house located? I fear that this kind of “interior design” is very popular among some citizens of eastern europe…sad!

28. Nobody Inside said:
    January 31, 2010

sadly the “house” indeed is located in Eastern Europe, more precisely in Romania. This is a very popular “FAIL”ed home here, and everybody marks it since you can find more pictures with the completed “project” on the net. It is absolutely tasteless….and I fear that the owner of this masterpiece is a bold neckless fat guy that thinks he’s a pimp :) … Anyway, please search for more pictures and see the completed home … :( PS: stay close to a W.C. in case you feel the urge to puke!!!

29. POLOLA said:
    August 18, 2010

well, i don’t think its totally terrible…kinda outta place though. maybe the guy just hit some remarkable cash that’s making him go WOW…however, if he hired a professional, the complete interior might just attain the necessary balance. PLS GET THE COMPLETE HOME!

30. Andres Sanchez said:
    August 18, 2010

omg…r u crazy dude or girl….?? its cool to keep money on ur mind but seriously…do u really need that on the ceilin..have a tattoo done or somethin. its would work better. or paint it so we can go to ur house and erase it….haha

31. Beth Gray said:
    October 6, 2010

A little too heavy for an inside space I’m thinking. Looks crazy.

32. sukhbir said:
    October 20, 2010

art is art…….. can’t prove it wrong…………….just don’t quit

33. Sandip Ghadge said:
    January 20, 2011

Place matters!
    If it is at a bank/ATM/trading market sure it suits perfectly!

34. Sara said:
    January 28, 2011

Really, am I the only one who sees the humor in this? It seems to be completely tongue in cheek to me. I hope it is in a room with grown up sofas, wool rugs and floor to ceiling draperies.

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] Interior Design Fail [...]

2. By interior designs – Latest interior designs news – Modern and luxury interior design ideas hotel gansevoort … on February 3, 2010

[...] Interior Design Fail [...]