Interior Design Fail
Ideas

Interior Design Fail

Advertising

Usually I don’t post things like this on Freshome, but today when I received this picture from a reader I was just speechless. After some time I’ve thought that I should post this on Freshome because this crazy idea is to much fun, and everybody likes to see something funny from time to time. So what do you think about this “interior design fail” ? I’m really interested in hearing your opinion, or funny comment about this …so leave a comment please. – P.S – Is not a bank, is not a casino, …is a home.

• Q August 3, 2009 at 19:45 PM Login to Reply →

don’t do it again..

• Eleanor Olsen August 3, 2009 at 19:47 PM Login to Reply →

One thing I have learned over the years is that there is nothing ugly, just misplaced objects. So is this in a bank?

• Leanne Mitchel August 3, 2009 at 21:28 PM Login to Reply →

There is a book called “Atlas Shrugged” that has had a huge resurgence in popularity lately. In the book, the $ is used throughout as a symbol of freedom and individuality. That symbol has great meaning for many people. I can totally understand why they would incorporate it into their design. Better this than sappy sayings written on walls under the guise of great thought.

• kevin August 4, 2009 at 01:15 AM Login to Reply →

delightfully tacky…..

• davehimslef August 4, 2009 at 03:47 AM Login to Reply →

Lets not make excuses. This is ridiculous. You will likely find it in the “game room” of an athlete or a pop star. But don’t worry. It will not effect the resale value of the home. Because the home will either be gutted or torn down when its owner is entirely bankrupt 4 months from now.

• Angel August 4, 2009 at 04:03 AM Login to Reply →

50 Cent’s house?

• pantohe August 4, 2009 at 04:45 AM Login to Reply →

Hideous, don’t do it again….

• Megan August 4, 2009 at 08:04 AM Login to Reply →

Actually i have a feeling it would look ok in the right kind of room. Not my taste but i would love to see the entire room to see the balance against other furnishings.

• Jasper August 4, 2009 at 08:33 AM Login to Reply →

Well… the only place money signs would look good is if you’re Richie Rich!

• Johan Lont August 4, 2009 at 12:20 PM Login to Reply →

You can’t criticize it before it’s been completed. Although I would prefer a Euro (€) symbol.

• noah August 4, 2009 at 16:54 PM Login to Reply →

I was disappointed when I saw the title of the post. I’ve seen innumerable design “fails” but this actually looks pretty well executed.

If I saw this on MTV Cribs, then yeah… I’d think it was kinda lame, but my first thought was the Atlas Shrugged reference. I’m also reminded of the whole “Secret” phenomenon of projecting/visualizing your wishes/hopes. Maybe this is the owner’s version of a dream poster or whatever.

Anyway, it’s funny how everyone would be singing a different tune were it demonstrated to be in a certain context… like, if this was in a StArchitect designed house -some sort of art piece… would it be tacky or gaudy then?

• Nick August 4, 2009 at 18:24 PM Login to Reply →

pretentious

• marux August 4, 2009 at 19:14 PM Login to Reply →

Is this Scrooge McDuck house?

• Timothy Burgess August 4, 2009 at 22:54 PM Login to Reply →

I was thinking with todays economy a cents sign would have been more appropriate!

• Timothy Burgess August 4, 2009 at 23:40 PM Login to Reply →

With all due respect, I beg to differ. Majority of American’s interpret this sign as a symbol of monetary value, wealth, greed, etc. I personally, as do many others, find the sayings much more tasteful than this eyesore attached to the ceiling. Further, even if people recognize the symbol as freedom or individuality, the way it was executed is absolutely hideous. Really, look at the picture; there is no aesthetic value at all!

• thrillcook August 5, 2009 at 06:46 AM Login to Reply →

the owner wanted to hide their safe in an inconspicuous location, everybody looks behind the painting

• Xuan August 6, 2009 at 04:10 AM Login to Reply →

I agree completely. I honestly did not find the design tacky or worth named a “fail”…. This is actually my first time reading the comments on the post to see how other readers actually react to this (I use feeds). Sure the design may not be in the right place, but it’s not a fail (not a win either), but it’s okay.

• Marko August 6, 2009 at 14:41 PM Login to Reply →

To each his own, for my taste it’s pathetic…

• no August 14, 2009 at 15:05 PM Login to Reply →

If it’s personally significant for whoever puts it into their home, if it’s not going to be painted gold in a room full of sofas built out of dollar bills, maybe that can work. Design isn’t about pleasing everyone else, and meaning isn’t about being meaningful to others.

• Dave August 19, 2009 at 16:14 PM Login to Reply →

Hard to say “fail” without more context. If this is part of a “money themed” theater room, with an original “Oceans 11″ poster box on the wall and the world’s coins in acrylic coating the counter of the bar in the back, I’d say it’s pretty sweet. If it’s hovering over the couches in the living room, I’d say it’s godawful.

Regardless of the question of taste, that thing must’ve been hard to build and put up there. Judging from the apparent unevenness of the seals, and the misalignment with the placement drawings on the ceiling, I give this structure a pretty short lifespan.

I am, however, VERY amused by the automated “See more amazing related interior design ideas:” section just below the post. I’m pretty sure Rachel Smith photographs and Reese-Roberts designs really wouldn’t appreciate being associated with such “interior design fail” ;)

• Simon August 20, 2009 at 18:11 PM Login to Reply →

For ages people have been building small shrines and altars of their gods at home, let the guy have his deity on display too.

• Esther C. August 21, 2009 at 20:47 PM Login to Reply →

i know this is gonna sound weird, it actually inspires me that im thinking of doing the same in my newly bought house…as known as the-girl-with-a-dollar-sign-on-the-forehead might as well change to the-girl-with-a-dollar-sign-up-her-ceiling =p

• anarchist-Li September 1, 2009 at 08:27 AM Login to Reply →

hmm, i dont like it, if someone HAS to show everyone that he has lots of money or dreams about it then i feel sorry for that person

• DzynOne September 23, 2009 at 20:32 PM Login to Reply →

Either it’s someone who came from nothing and suddenly became successful or a ball player/rappers house. Actually they could be the same.

• bugs October 11, 2009 at 23:12 PM Login to Reply →

it’s very funny indeed, maybe owner has a specific scene of humor, but it is not “fail” of course

• I don’t what this person was thinking but must have an obsession with money, this is something that I would not have in my home.

• pupufcu January 29, 2010 at 21:51 PM Login to Reply →

My only question is: Where is this house located? I fear that this kind of “interior design” is very popular among some citizens of eastern europe…sad!

• Nobody Inside January 31, 2010 at 00:36 AM Login to Reply →

sadly the “house” indeed is located in Eastern Europe, more precisely in Romania. This is a very popular “FAIL”ed home here, and everybody marks it since you can find more pictures with the completed “project” on the net. It is absolutely tasteless….and I fear that the owner of this masterpiece is a bold neckless fat guy that thinks he’s a pimp :) … Anyway, please search for more pictures and see the completed home … :( PS: stay close to a W.C. in case you feel the urge to puke!!!

• POLOLA August 18, 2010 at 09:10 AM Login to Reply →

well, i don’t think its totally terrible…kinda outta place though. maybe the guy just hit some remarkable cash that’s making him go WOW…however, if he hired a professional, the complete interior might just attain the necessary balance. PLS GET THE COMPLETE HOME!

• Andres Sanchez August 18, 2010 at 16:14 PM Login to Reply →

omg…r u crazy dude or girl….?? its cool to keep money on ur mind but seriously…do u really need that on the ceilin..have a tattoo done or somethin. its would work better. or paint it so we can go to ur house and erase it….haha

• Beth Gray October 6, 2010 at 14:00 PM Login to Reply →

A little too heavy for an inside space I’m thinking. Looks crazy.

• sukhbir October 20, 2010 at 16:28 PM Login to Reply →

art is art…….. can’t prove it wrong…………….just don’t quit

• Sandip Ghadge January 20, 2011 at 05:09 AM Login to Reply →

Place matters!
    If it is at a bank/ATM/trading market sure it suits perfectly!

• Sara January 28, 2011 at 15:41 PM Login to Reply →

Really, am I the only one who sees the humor in this? It seems to be completely tongue in cheek to me. I hope it is in a room with grown up sofas, wool rugs and floor to ceiling draperies.