Revamping God’s home into your own: Holy home in the UK
Architecture

Revamping God’s home into your own: Holy home in the UK

The idea of living in a church is both beautiful and disconcerting at the same time, but that has in no way stopped these fabulous folk in UK to turn God’s adobe into a cozy little place that is their home. The owners bought the church for £92,000 and then went on to spend a whooping £300,000 on renovations to give it the shape and look that it currently sports. The vast interiors, sweeping spaces, stained glass and the Gothic theme really floor you. Despite the decorating falling short of all the grandeur that surrounds it, you cannot but marvel at this bold experiment. With the dead still resting in your backyard, this is one exceptional home indeed! No? – via

• Church Turned Home 9
  • Church Turned Home 7
  • Church Turned Home 8
  • Church Turned Home 6
  • Church Turned Home 4
  • Church Turned Home 5
  • Church Turned Home 3
  • Church Turned Home 2
  • Church Turned Home 12
  • Church Turned Home 11
  • Church Turned Home
  • Church Turned Home 10

• Tony Chavira July 1, 2009 at 17:18 PM Login to Reply →

Honestly Alex, this is my dream home. I’ve been talking about this for years and it’s great to see a awesome example of a re-used church on here!

• Minister Paul July 2, 2009 at 06:49 AM Login to Reply →

Those who sold the church and those who sleep now in it will burn in hell.
    This is sacrilege.
    People have no more respect for God.

• Sahra July 2, 2009 at 07:05 AM Login to Reply →

Horrible. I can’t imagine a more wrong-headedly pretentious draughty waste of an otherwise perfectly good space. Churches are designed to be churches, which is not to say that a renovation would always fail; but that you have to be willing to do something exceptional and bold to make the space work. That certainly hasn’t happened here – the homeowners have made the fatal decision of “honouring” the building and changing very little of the internal space, to its great detriment as a functioning home. To put some oaky staircases and tasteless home furnishings in (for ₤300,000?! They was robbed) and call it a work of architecture reborn is a sad indictment of the state of architecture and interior design in Britain.

• Dan July 2, 2009 at 07:24 AM Login to Reply →

This is genius!

• Chayne July 2, 2009 at 15:37 PM Login to Reply →

Not so crazy about the graveyard in my garden

• Mindminder July 2, 2009 at 15:40 PM Login to Reply →

I find nothing wrong with this, what a great use of space. If anything this place should have lots of great energy. Don’t worry about the hell thing because there no such thing
    It’s 2009 not 1009, the bible and church will some day be known as history, and people will
    find it amazing that anybody even worship one god. Beautiful house!!

• Jon 3:14 July 2, 2009 at 15:45 PM Login to Reply →

People lets think about this for one second:

Which is worst, a Church being demolished and the property sold to a developer who turns the space into a mini-mall

or

taking a historic structure and allowing its beauty to continue to be an example of the period and what that congregations love for religion built…

I think the answer is a simple one…

• mr b0z0 July 2, 2009 at 16:10 PM Login to Reply →

well I absolutely love this house! Its so beautiful….sacrilege aside…

• Sam July 2, 2009 at 16:13 PM Login to Reply →

“this is one exceptional home indeed! No?” Indeed, No.

A lot of work and money has obviously gone into this project. But really, having money does not mean you have taste. I have thought about how interesting it would be to renovate a church. Very intriguing idea. It would be a challenge but a fun one for sure. But, this is a fail in my eyes. Sorry, but my sentiments are with Sahra. I have seen photo studies of two excellent church renovations. They were superb. Both took advantage of the unique characteristics of such an unusual choice building. This reno leave a lot to be desired. Where was the money spent? I would love to see some before and after pictures. Then maybe the money can be justified. But Oak stairs!? Aaack!
    Just my unhumble opinion.

• Sam July 2, 2009 at 17:23 PM Login to Reply →

I love it when religious people such as Minister Paul show malice and hand down damnation.
    Judge not… and so on.

On Topic: Beautiful home with an interesting concept. I think the placement of the master bedroom would make romantic encounters a little weird.

• Sara July 2, 2009 at 17:42 PM Login to Reply →

Seriously Minister Paul!?!? What kind of minister are you? Don’t you know
    that God dwells within us and not in buildings. If you are Jewish then I understand
    but if you are Christian then I pray you are not giving spiritual advice to others.

• Betty July 2, 2009 at 17:51 PM Login to Reply →

Burn in hell? How Christian of you to say…anyway back to the real world.
    Instead of this space being wasted and its beauty taken by wrecking ball just to
    build other things, keeping it intact and making it into a home is wonderful.
    If someone is so blinded by their whacked-out religious views not to see that,
    then I have nothing but pity for them and their self-righteous limited views.

• JP July 2, 2009 at 19:04 PM Login to Reply →

Sacrilege? I hardly think that is fair.
    Where two or more are gathered, in His presence, there shall He be.
    If anything this is a step closer to God and not further.
    Besides, a Church is comprised of people, not structures.
    Also, that anyone was disrespectful is contentious.
    Although, I did notice some from a third party, come to think of it…
    You call yourself a minister? Show some respect to your faith then.
    Capitalise the ‘C’ in ‘Church’ and cease the unfounded slander.
    Be tolerant and forgiving, not bitter and antagonistic.
    As we all should try to be, amen.

• hail July 2, 2009 at 19:28 PM Login to Reply →

Since The Church is the entity that owns the building and property around a church, then you basically just condemned The Church to burn in hell. You aren’t God so you are in no position to say who will burn in hell, get over your self. Appreciate the fact that someone bought it instead of tearing it down.
    (they were robbed if they put 300,000 into it)

• VanceRomance July 2, 2009 at 19:34 PM Login to Reply →

It’s a wonderful conversion for something that would likely have
    been destroyed to make way for some shopping center. I would have chosen
    a different place for the bed than on the space where the altar rested.
    Sleeping there would make me feel ‘awkward’. :) Having some sort of mini
    altar or memorial to the church would have been my choice. But other than
    that, a tasteful use of such a place. Thank you for the post.

• Atheist Andy July 2, 2009 at 20:15 PM Login to Reply →

Um, no they won’t. And how can you respect something that isn’t real?

Frankly until I saw these pictures I was lamenting what a waste of space the b
    billions of churches in the world are, now I see there is hope for recycling
    them into something useful.

Cheers

• God July 2, 2009 at 20:17 PM Login to Reply →

“Minister Paul, I cast you into the depths of Hell!!” You too, Sarah.

• Marit July 2, 2009 at 20:33 PM Login to Reply →

I think it’s a great idea to re-use a church like this. It’s beautifully decorated. I would wanna live there! And to respond to the comment of “burning in hell” by Minister Paul, I don’t think that you’ll go to hell for this.. I mean, they didn’t mean harm by this..

• Michelle July 2, 2009 at 20:52 PM Login to Reply →

Evil homeowners! I bet they don’t even believe in Santa Claus!
    Personally, I wouldn’t want the stink of church on me. I’d have to convert it into an industrial music club.

• Bishop Tumley July 2, 2009 at 21:21 PM Login to Reply →

True all, it should be either a little boys home or torn down. There are many priests available who could run such a place.

• priest July 2, 2009 at 21:23 PM Login to Reply →

the building is good but i suggest to remove to old church furnishing like
    the stained glass or any items for the church it really offensive to others

• Sahra July 2, 2009 at 23:11 PM Login to Reply →

Did this get linked on a Christian fanatics website? Because the off-topicness of the comments here are amazing. Yes of course it’s a good idea to repurpose buildings such as churches. Where have you guys been? Have we not seen warehouses, factories, office buildings, OTHER CHURCHES, boats, mills and plenty of other buildings repurposed over the last 50 years? How is it relevant to (@Marit) to comment on the validity of the idea as if it had never been done before? And what planet are you on when you think that the only likely alternative to converting the building (And that’s all it is, Jesus freaks. God is everywhere right? That’s Chritianity 101 for you. You’re welcome.) is to have it dozed for a mini-mall? Are you nuts? Are you living in a country with no monumental architecture? Even so, people everywhere usually understand age and gravitas. This isn’t a mock princess castle at Disneyland made from styrofoam and sprayed with Real Stone Texture In A Can. So to summarise, please make smarter comments. The end.

PS @priest – hiding all my candles and incense away in case I offend christians who cleary have a right to view these holy items in church only.

• justsayin' July 2, 2009 at 23:17 PM Login to Reply →

in order to sell a church building such as this, i’m sure the premises have have to be, uh, meybe “desanctified” is the word i’m looking for. thus, it is no longer a church, as it is no longer possessed by the Church. thus, no sacrilage (though i don’t believe in such concepts). wouldn’t you say?

• Theresa July 3, 2009 at 01:55 AM Login to Reply →

I can’t even begin to describe how frustrated I get by narrow minded people.
    To Minister Paul; you are human, and even as a man of God you have no right to
    condemn people to hell, particularly when the owners clearly did not mean harm,
    rather, they most likely wanted to preserve a beautiful space. If you truly
    want to spread the word of God, spread His love, not damnation.
    To those who have expressed doubt in God’s existence, is there really any need
    to be so openly disdainful of those who do believe? Churches are never a waste
    of space, and you should respect the beliefs of those different than yourselves.
    It shows a sad narrow-mindedness and immaturity to speak so cruelly of others
    simply for being spiritual.
    As to the home, I agree with Bishop Tumley, but the furniture is sad.

• Elton Houe July 3, 2009 at 06:20 AM Login to Reply →

So how can they f**** where a few years ago sacramental service took place?

It is clear that they do not have respect for those things.

I do not think that they have this house because they are poor and no other place where to stay.

I think this is some pervert ideea like those who sleep in a cemetery.

• Michelle July 3, 2009 at 19:04 PM Login to Reply →

The only sacrilege here is the hideous furnishing.

• Krampus July 3, 2009 at 19:13 PM Login to Reply →

I’d like to see it turned into a gay sex club.
    This way it could serve both Atheists and Priests.

• Theresa July 4, 2009 at 13:45 PM Login to Reply →

Krampus, I think that is possibly one of the most stereotypical, unnecessary,
    and cruel things I’ve ever heard. How dare you be so mean to people who have
    never done anything to you. Don’t you have any respect for clergy? If not as
    religious, then as people. I mean honestly, Catholic Priests have a bad rep,
    but it is entirely untrue. They aren’t any more guilty than other religious
    in other churches, and the vast majority of them are good, holy men. Keep your
    hate to yourself.

• Qkac July 6, 2009 at 08:47 AM Login to Reply →

Living in a cemetery, it’s an interesting idea, don’t it?

• Elisa July 6, 2009 at 15:53 PM Login to Reply →

Lets we inmagine,that this building is a mosque. I ask: how many ours can to
    live the owner of mosque,who makes such fuction-changing on the building?

• *sigh* God Again August 5, 2010 at 20:50 PM Login to Reply →

Kids……stop this silliness and PLAY NICE!
    Especially you who keep condemning your brothers and sisters.
    DON’T FORGET WHO MADE ALL THIS AND SET THE RULES.

(and I might JUST incarnate in different ways to TEST some of you goofy bastard’s ability to GET ALONG WITH OTHER WAYS OF THINKING!)
    *boom-crash-peals-of-thunder-and-lightening-and-all-that-jazz*

….some of you “of the cloth” are really trying my nerves….

• Brandon Haynes March 11, 2011 at 16:07 PM Login to Reply →

I think everything in this home is fabulous! Don’t change a thing, except maybe having me run your kitchen for you full time!lol I especially like the goose on the landing.

• Brandon Haynes March 11, 2011 at 16:10 PM Login to Reply →

yeah

• Sue March 14, 2011 at 21:30 PM Login to Reply →

My dream has always been to convert an old church into a house. I have seen several over the years and I just would love to do it myself. This one is the most beautiful I have seen.

• Angela March 30, 2011 at 11:52 AM Login to Reply →

@tonychavira: I honestly have had many dreams & visions of myself doing what they have done–renevating a defunct church into my home. This is lovely. As a Christian myself, I don’t think this is sacrileges at all, but more of an honor to God. It is perhaps more motivation to stay in faith– a constant reminder. Thank u for this. I really love what they have done–cemetery acceptance and all. God bless.