The reason why so few women are architects
Architecture

The reason why so few women are architects

Have you ever asked this question : “Why so few women are architects ?”. In the video attached below, well-known architect Robert A.M. Stern is asked why are there fewer women architects than men. Want to know his response ? Hit the play button ..and finally what do you think about this ?

• Jared March 27, 2009 at 16:18 PM Login to Reply →

yes was expecting that answer. the same could be said for most professions where there are men > women.

• kaigou March 27, 2009 at 22:11 PM Login to Reply →

Gee, was there any particular reason they didn’t think to ask a woman architect that question?

• Karyn March 28, 2009 at 07:34 AM Login to Reply →

I think that there is something special in the way that men and women were designed where men are more focused on strength and women are more focused on beauty. Men love to protet and provide naturally and women are usually good nurtures and they respond well to being valued and cared about. Men respond well to being appreciated and feeling needed. I think it is natural for a mna to want to provide a safe structure for a woman to be protected and to be able to express herself without fear. I think this is why most of the people involved in building homes are men. Contractors, architects, etc. It’s about structure, protection. There is beauty involved in architecture as well of course and many men enjoy decorating and style, but a lot of women would love to be givin a plae to express themselves and to focus more on decorating than the creating of the building. I think many men are built with an instinctive passion for producing structures to provide safety. This theory does not prove true in every single circumstance and individual, but I believe there is a lot of truth to it even if it isn’t absolute truth.

• [...] via [...]

• Tamara May 5, 2009 at 03:02 AM Login to Reply →

He’s absolultely right about time consumption. I’m undoubtedly passionate about both interior design and architecture. I’m actually in school for interior design and have contemplated continuing my education after this degree to become an architect as well (as many ID’s do), but I am now a mother and find myself torn between fullfilling this apiration. If you kow much about interior design, you know how intertwined it is with architecture, (it’s not the same as decorating!) and it’s amazingly time consuming. So, I agree with his response.

• Jen June 10, 2009 at 16:06 PM Login to Reply →

working in the a/e industry for over a decade, i agree with his statement.
    there’s a great book called “sex & power” by susan estrich, an esteemed
    lawyer and professor, that talks about this dilemma many female
    professionals have.

• Empress October 18, 2010 at 02:07 AM Login to Reply →

Mr. Stern you are full of shit. You were teaching when you visited my architecture class in 78 and there were only 5 women in my class. We worked our asses off, over half the ‘men’ in our class dropped out and we made it to the end and we still got nowhere.

There are fewer women than men in this profession because no matter how hard we work, no matter if we don’t have children, no matter what we do, rich white guys with egos the size of Europe wear us down and we eventually look around and understand that our lives are more important than bullshit.

Will men ever stop answering questions about women for women? You never get it right.