Architecture

Shell House in the Japanese Forests

advertise here

The Shell House designed by Artechnic, something that you would expect to see on the shore of the ocean, is one of the most amazing architectural designs I’ve seen. Deep in the woods of Karuizawa, in the Nagano prefecture of Japan, this amazing double-elliptical holiday retreat, features lots of space and is made of reinforced concrete and wood to preserve the Japanese “traditions”. Inspired from the conch-shell, the amazing shape really got us drooling, but even though it’s an amazing structure I’m not sure if I’d be able to live with the animals. Would you?

• shell-house-by-kotaro-ide-6
  • shell-house-by-kotaro-ide
  • shell-house-by-kotaro-ide-2
  • shell-house-by-kotaro-ide-3
  • shell-house-by-kotaro-ide-4
  • shell-house-by-kotaro-ide-5

• Zim December 10, 2008 at 01:48 AM Login to Reply →

What a wonderful place! =)

• design snob December 11, 2008 at 05:00 AM Login to Reply →

Holy cow! That is beyond the most breathtaking house that I’ve ever seen. How the home just bends around the one central tree is amazing. I could read on that porch all day long.

• booger December 12, 2008 at 12:39 PM Login to Reply →

‘shopped.

• L December 13, 2008 at 16:05 PM Login to Reply →

not shopped, dumbie, check the link.

• Susie December 14, 2008 at 01:53 AM Login to Reply →

Oh, my! How peaceful, how restful, how lovely! And to see a tree as THE focal point! That’s been a dream of mine, to have a house somehow built around a beautiful tree. I’ve enjoyed looking at these photos, and wish I could see interior shots, as well.

• NicStage December 14, 2008 at 02:24 AM Login to Reply →

Just yesterday I was complaining about how all I ever see when stumbling architecture is those huge, empty,cold, concrete monstrosities with cold, hard furniture. Monuments to death, you know? It is so refreshing to see something with curves and warmth. Something that fits with its environment.

• oki December 15, 2008 at 10:48 AM Login to Reply →

LOL animals? What? Like.. deer? Bunnies? What am I missing? This is really cool though. I kind of prefer a cabin, but whatever. The glass is neat, if you could keep it warm enough in there~

• Shell house by Kotaro Ide December 15, 2008 at 18:30 PM Login to Reply →

[...] Fuentes: Kilian.vox.com , Freshome.com [...]

• catsmiler December 16, 2008 at 19:17 PM Login to Reply →

Cuddling in a conch…? I’m listening for the deer scarer, the tinkle of water, the subtle prayer chimes…what a place to live in tranquility….especially with your loved one…would love to see the interior.

Agree with Oki, what animals..? They have ANY dangerous animals in Japan..?

• Kunaltg December 17, 2008 at 13:56 PM Login to Reply →

wow… i like this ribbon type of concept… so much thought…

• [...] Article Source: Shell House in the Japanese Forests [...]

• Christelle March 9, 2009 at 02:37 AM Login to Reply →

This house is nice, but I can design better ones.
    I’m not a architect yet because I’m only 13 years old.

• Zim March 9, 2009 at 15:59 PM Login to Reply →

@Christelle: Go ahead kid, do it! We’ll be glad to see your awesome designs…

• Andrew April 12, 2009 at 03:31 AM Login to Reply →

Absolutely amazing architecture, I really want to see it!

• [...] Shell House in the Japanese Forests This entry was written by admin and posted on December 13, 2008 at 8:29 am and filed under Uncategorized, photos. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL. [...]

• free articles about dogs March 25, 2010 at 19:08 PM Login to Reply →

Nice website,have a fine day

• bob August 6, 2010 at 01:22 AM Login to Reply →

what animals? there are like … bears.. personalyy wouldn’t bother me but yer… and raccoons

• M M August 23, 2010 at 14:24 PM Login to Reply →

It is wonderful! But there’s not inough pictures of this house. I would like to see more.

• Dhaval Patel September 28, 2010 at 16:14 PM Login to Reply →

Really Amazing house. Who’s lucky family stay at here.

• alvin chand October 5, 2010 at 03:44 AM Login to Reply →

wat a awsome house looks like a heaven in a hell