Freshome
Home Architecture Design Ideas, Pictures and Inspiration Shell House in the Japanese Forests

Shell House in the Japanese Forests

shell house by kotaro ide 1 Shell House in the Japanese Forests

The Shell House designed by Artechnic, something that you would expect to see on the shore of the ocean, is one of the most amazing architectural designs I’ve seen. Deep in the woods of Karuizawa, in the Nagano prefecture of Japan, this amazing double-elliptical holiday retreat, features lots of space and is made of reinforced concrete and wood to preserve the Japanese “traditions”. Inspired from the conch-shell, the amazing shape really got us drooling, but even though it’s an amazing structure I’m not sure if I’d be able to live with the animals. Would you?

shell house by kotaro ide 2 Shell House in the Japanese Forests

shell house by kotaro ide 3 Shell House in the Japanese Forests

shell house by kotaro ide 4 Shell House in the Japanese Forests

shell house by kotaro ide 5 Shell House in the Japanese Forests

shell house by kotaro ide 6 Shell House in the Japanese Forests

Get Updates (it's free) Enter your email to get FREE blog updates

17 responses to “Shell House in the Japanese Forests” - Add yours!

1. Zim said:
    December 10, 2008

What a wonderful place! =)

2. December 11, 2008

Holy cow! That is beyond the most breathtaking house that I’ve ever seen. How the home just bends around the one central tree is amazing. I could read on that porch all day long.

3. booger said:
    December 12, 2008

‘shopped.

4. L said:
    December 13, 2008

not shopped, dumbie, check the link.

5. Susie said:
    December 14, 2008

Oh, my! How peaceful, how restful, how lovely! And to see a tree as THE focal point! That’s been a dream of mine, to have a house somehow built around a beautiful tree. I’ve enjoyed looking at these photos, and wish I could see interior shots, as well.

6. NicStage said:
    December 14, 2008

Just yesterday I was complaining about how all I ever see when stumbling architecture is those huge, empty,cold, concrete monstrosities with cold, hard furniture. Monuments to death, you know? It is so refreshing to see something with curves and warmth. Something that fits with its environment.

7. oki said:
    December 15, 2008

LOL animals? What? Like.. deer? Bunnies? What am I missing? This is really cool though. I kind of prefer a cabin, but whatever. The glass is neat, if you could keep it warm enough in there~

8. catsmiler said:
    December 16, 2008

Cuddling in a conch…? I’m listening for the deer scarer, the tinkle of water, the subtle prayer chimes…what a place to live in tranquility….especially with your loved one…would love to see the interior.

Agree with Oki, what animals..? They have ANY dangerous animals in Japan..?

9. Kunaltg said:
    December 17, 2008

wow… i like this ribbon type of concept… so much thought…

10. Christelle said:
    March 9, 2009

This house is nice, but I can design better ones.
    I’m not a architect yet because I’m only 13 years old.

11. Zim said:
    March 9, 2009

@Christelle: Go ahead kid, do it! We’ll be glad to see your awesome designs…

12. Andrew said:
    April 12, 2009

Absolutely amazing architecture, I really want to see it!

13. free articles about dogs said:
    March 25, 2010

Nice website,have a fine day

14. bob said:
    August 6, 2010

what animals? there are like … bears.. personalyy wouldn’t bother me but yer… and raccoons

15. M M said:
    August 23, 2010

It is wonderful! But there’s not inough pictures of this house. I would like to see more.

16. September 28, 2010

Really Amazing house. Who’s lucky family stay at here.

17. alvin chand said:
    October 5, 2010

wat a awsome house looks like a heaven in a hell

3 Trackbacks

1. By Shell house by Kotaro Ide on December 15, 2008

[...] Fuentes: Kilian.vox.com , Freshome.com [...]

2. [...] Article Source: Shell House in the Japanese Forests [...]

3. [...] Shell House in the Japanese Forests This entry was written by admin and posted on December 13, 2008 at 8:29 am and filed under Uncategorized, photos. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL. [...]