Apartment Interior Design : Before and After Pictures by Uberdesignhouse

Apartment Interior Design : Before and After Pictures by Uberdesignhouse

What I’m going to present today is a project by one of our readers ( Max Tay : Uberdesignhouse , an interior designer based in Singapore ). I’ve found his website in the comments section in this post where I was overhelmed by the number of comments ( 218 until now – WOW ) …Thank you all ! Now Max will tell us a few words about how he transformed a “Horror House” into a very beautiful place, so let’s begin …

The homeowner sought out my services after coming across one of my previous work featured in a local design magazine. It was something of a challenge for me because the apartment was in a deplorable state when I 1st viewed it! The 30-year-old apartment had been rented out to various tenants over the last decade and very sadly, the abuse was showing. Now let’s see some before and after pictures with the living room.

Paying homage to the age of the apartment and the homeowner’s love for bright funkily coloured objects sourced from various flea markets around the regent, we set out to put together an interior that’s greatly influenced by the Austin Powers movies!

With a tight budget, we focused most of the built-in carpentry work in the kitchen and bedroom wardrobe area. Not surprisingly, bright funky colours takes center stage throughout the apartment. To give the living area an interesting focus, I painted ribbon strips of brown, orange and yellow that draws the eyes across the pristine white background. Painting the strips in glossy enamel paint allows them to further pop out from the matt emulsion paint on the walls! To complete the look, I designed a free-formed ceiling cut-out in bright orange and a good polish returned the marble flooring to its glory days!

Built-in carpentry installed over a decade ago has not stood the test of time. Existing floor and walls tiles in the bathrooms and kitchen were cracked and broken in numerous areas. Leakages and spalling concrete ceiling in the bathrooms was simply horrible! However, amongst all these nightmares, the homeowners and I agreed that the one redeeming element of the apartment was the fabulous marble flooring in the Living Area. Not surprisingly, the marble flooring was the only thing we kept during the demolition works! Now let’s see some before and after pictures with the kitchen area.

A decidedly darker and more sophisticated style was opted for the bedroom to allow for a more restful atmosphere. To give it a sense of connection to the rest of the apartment, I continued the use of wall colours in strips here. Wallpaper in a matching colour serves as a focus for the bed-head area. I designed and commissioned a dual-purpose writing desk that allows a flat-screen TV to be hung facing the sleeping area. A small crystal chandelier in the wardrobe area completes the look. Now let’s see some before and after pictures with the bedroom area.

• living-room-before
  • living-room-after
  • living-room-after2
  • living-room-after3
  • kitchen-before
  • kitchen-after
  • kitchen-after2
  • bedroom-before
  • bedroom-after
  • bedroom-after2
  • bedroom-after3

• Joe October 3, 2008 at 21:40 PMLogin to Reply →

AMAZING. Gorgeous work.

• Aerosol can October 6, 2008 at 11:59 AMLogin to Reply →

Too many TVs make any home or apartment ugly.

• sara williams October 6, 2008 at 18:43 PMLogin to Reply →

This is really cool! I especially like the lighting. There’s a company in LA called Designers Call that is amazing at redesigns and I like them because they do eco-friendly renovations and you can have anything from one room redesigned to having your whole space redone, and they are really affordable.

• Mer October 13, 2008 at 13:58 PMLogin to Reply →

Great work!!! really inspiring…

• George November 10, 2008 at 00:42 AMLogin to Reply →

what did you use for the turnings of the ribbon strips?

• kazandra November 16, 2008 at 08:08 AMLogin to Reply →

its so beautiful! youve done an amazing job with a very limited apartment space..it looks huge! im planning to redecorate my apartment..thanks for these ideas!

• freda March 9, 2009 at 19:09 PMLogin to Reply →

stepping back outside of the house would be like culture shock over and over.
    :P

• Sajith Chandran May 17, 2009 at 06:11 AMLogin to Reply →

it’s awesome really amazing good work, excellent. need some heolp form you i am planning to redesign my old one bedroom aprtment, i need your help. i staying in a apartment which have one bedroom, one bathroom, one small sitting room and one medium size kitchen, could u please tell ow can i redesign ths apartment, please.

• Eric July 16, 2009 at 20:22 PMLogin to Reply →

Incredible Job. Looks great.

• manya August 24, 2009 at 13:05 PMLogin to Reply →

amazing!!! i dont know that real estate is amazing!!!
    its price maybe 1000X the real price of d old buildinG!!!

its incredible!!!

• Ar. Vijaykumar M. Khut January 21, 2010 at 06:30 AMLogin to Reply →

Dear,
    Respected,
    You send to livindroom P.o.p. design’s photo.

• Kinshuk Mathur August 3, 2010 at 01:40 AMLogin to Reply →

it’s too good to be true! I am overwhelmed!!!

• Zizi February 8, 2011 at 13:26 PMLogin to Reply →

WOOOW, so there is hope to make something look beautiful :)

• Casey Kenney February 28, 2011 at 22:57 PMLogin to Reply →

I love the before and afters they are all really great!

• saban May 19, 2011 at 13:12 PMLogin to Reply →

it is amazing
    you do it very well
    i like bedroom
    and absulutly
    the living room
    can i ask
    how much is cost at end for you?