Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment
Apartments Architecture

Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment

A few months ago we presented “A Chapel that was Converted Into a Modern Apartment by Zecc” , the chapel was part of a large housing complex of the Friars of Utrecht, which at its height, around the mid-20th century, housed 217 residents. Today I would like to present another challenge that an interior design agency had. They ( the Apartment ) completely converted a 7,000 square-foot YMCA gym into a beautiful 5 bedroom apartment building, and I can say that every details of the apartment is stunning, from the vibrant colors to the detailed wallpaper and carpets. The place was in disrepair from years of abandonment ( as you can see in the picture below ) and needed some love.

Before

In converting the oldest YMCA gym, all of the colors were completely revamped, and a lot of restoration occurred, but the building still contains some of the original features. The original girders are still in place, although restored and painted to match the contemporary style. Green rugs and pink furniture are mixed with the unpainted concrete floors. The rooms are a mix of vibrant chairs, covering a wooden floor painted with court lines. The whole building is a perfect collaboration of the original gym, mixed with a new contemporary feel. Now take a look at the final result …amazing !

After

2906352909 0dac4da829 o Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment

converting a ymca gym into a beautiful apartment image 1 Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment

• gym-apartment4
  • gym-apartment01
  • gym-apartment1
  • gym-apartment2
  • gym-apartment3
  • gym
  • converting-a-ymca-gym-into-a-beautiful-apartment-image-1

• Darren TheJunction October 2, 2008 at 13:51 PM Login to Reply →

Hmmm, I don´t like the design, but the idea behind it is cool.

Greets

• hannah October 2, 2008 at 18:19 PM Login to Reply →

totally inspiring! what an amazing transformation! it’s so easy to picture a party here, or a jazzy evening by the fireplace, and i love the way the structure was incorporated! And the clean lines, recessed lighting and nooks, and the energetic colors…what an awesome place! (hope the energy costs are decent, lol) seriously, just amazing!

• Hummus McBiscuit October 2, 2008 at 18:45 PM Login to Reply →

I’m not sure which is gayer, the YMCA or the apartment.

• Joachim in Oslo October 2, 2008 at 19:26 PM Login to Reply →

Very nice indeed.
    Wonder how long it took, and what the cost was…

• Kate October 2, 2008 at 19:27 PM Login to Reply →

Wowww. It’s huge. The modern-clean lines-bright colors thing is not my style, but it’s still gorgeous. Love that tall, wood-covered wall in the living room!

• Robert Frost October 2, 2008 at 19:32 PM Login to Reply →

Photoshopped, lol.

It does look a little flamboyant and homosexual, though. I doubt this was designed by a woman. I have come to the conclusion that it was done by a feminine male which is most likely homosexual since most males aren’t feminine. Therefore, I agree with the above comment. “GAY”

• Deej October 2, 2008 at 19:37 PM Login to Reply →

No…I don’t like this. It’s a bit too ‘try hard’…a bit too thought out.

P.S. Hummus McBiscuit – Thanks, your comment made my laugh so much!

• Nic Stage October 2, 2008 at 19:41 PM Login to Reply →

Wow. They really ruined the place. It was way more intriguing before they turned it into this minimalist nightmare. If I had to live here the only thing I would be inspired to do is shoot myself in the face.

• Jose October 2, 2008 at 19:52 PM Login to Reply →

Hi,

The decoration fits the form of the space, however I find it a bit impersonal (sp?). Maybe it’s because of the kind of space.

Have a nice weekend,

José

• www.mydomus.eu October 2, 2008 at 20:02 PM Login to Reply →

Well i’m the owner of a construction company in Italy and I would like to find a place like that, at a reasonable price, but here a place like that in a normal position would cost 1.2-1.5 million € plus the remodeling. So I think that I prefere making five apartments and sell them separately

• Zoltan October 2, 2008 at 20:07 PM Login to Reply →

It’s just too monstrous and not really designed very well. There is a lot of awkward large spaces and very little of it is usable on a human scale. Its like living in a shopping mall. I bet this person owns a Hummer.

• Hans October 2, 2008 at 20:16 PM Login to Reply →

Looks like crack ,awfully so.
    apartment is gayer

• John October 2, 2008 at 21:47 PM Login to Reply →

transforming an old industrial site like that is great but who the hell picked those colors? AWFUL DESIGN

• jennifer ramos October 2, 2008 at 23:29 PM Login to Reply →

WOW. i cant even fathom living in a SPACE like this…its unreal!

Jen Ramos
    ‘100% Recycled DESIGNER Cards & More’
    madebygirl.blogspot.com

• Kleetus Awreetus October 2, 2008 at 23:44 PM Login to Reply →

Yeah. That hot pink I-beam and post really sets off the big square of Astroturf.

• hannah October 3, 2008 at 13:48 PM Login to Reply →

Okay, if i lived there, (which i wouldn’t cuz id never afford it) I would probably add lots of plants, fun knicknacks, a dog, bright rugs, bright colored dishes, glass artwork, and lots of people over. It’s inspiring because it’s only just the begining. The transformation is so much more imaginative and creative than traditional apartments. (thought granted not more economical) It’s like a room waiting for a garden to grow inside it – like living outdoors. I think the color scheme reminds me of a jungle. And why does it have to be ‘gay’?

• hazbutler October 3, 2008 at 16:51 PM Login to Reply →

looks like a big brother set. would grow old fast with me i think.

• dropstep October 3, 2008 at 17:38 PM Login to Reply →

ugly design but wonderful concept.

• soheicube linkpost October 4, 2008 at 03:23 AM Login to Reply →

古い体育館をアパートに大幅リフォーム…

数年間、廃墟になっていたYMCAの体育館をアパートにしたそうです。
    欧米ではこういった内装を含めて「アパート」と呼ぶのですが、日本ではこれは「ゲストハウス」といった方が自然か…

• LilyHip October 5, 2008 at 03:28 AM Login to Reply →

Its a fantastic space gone bad! Cold, stark and poorly designed.

• Artillero October 7, 2008 at 02:14 AM Login to Reply →

It’s kind of gay! But I loved the idea and the change.. this could inspire antoher good projects. Actually I want to do something like that but $ I can’t afford that

• Down Comforter October 7, 2008 at 07:01 AM Login to Reply →

cool idea and inspiring stuff

• […] Vía: Freshome […]

• Jeff October 15, 2008 at 23:43 PM Login to Reply →

Ack! It would make a good club/bar/lounge.. not an apartment.

• Peter October 23, 2008 at 17:04 PM Login to Reply →

Yuck. It feels like a large unfinished commercial space with a few stranglely bright things thrown in (hot pink?). I don’t see myself just lounging in the living room or having a group of friends over for dinner at the kitchen bar.

There’s so much that could have been done. Wood flooring on the first level or throughout to make the place warmer and maybe an accent wall that stretched to both levels. I don’t understand the kitchen at all. They seem to be trying to make in look like an Ikea inspired bar. I wouldn’t want my fridge so far from stove and sink. I would hate to have such a bland looking kitchen. There’s no overhead shelving but maybe I could adjust to that but with such a clean surface any real life appliances might make it look cluttered. These folks needed some help. Not everything is do it yourself.

• Microtransaction November 27, 2008 at 09:03 AM Login to Reply →

Jaw dropping transformation. :O

Love the attention to details, and the fuchsia painted iron beams are excellent. I wouldn’t even want to imagine what it costs to heat the place though. ;)

• […] converted locker rooms of the first YMCA in the United States ( see more here ), Cindy Gallop’s “Black Apartment” was designed by New York-based creative agency “The […]

• […] Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment. […]