Freshome
Home Apartments Design Ideas, Pictures and Decor Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment

Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment

A few months ago we presented “A Chapel that was Converted Into a Modern Apartment by Zecc” , the chapel was part of a large housing complex of the Friars of Utrecht, which at its height, around the mid-20th century, housed 217 residents. Today I would like to present another challenge that an interior design agency had. They ( the Apartment ) completely converted a 7,000 square-foot YMCA gym into a beautiful 5 bedroom apartment building, and I can say that every details of the apartment is stunning, from the vibrant colors to the detailed wallpaper and carpets. The place was in disrepair from years of abandonment ( as you can see in the picture below ) and needed some love.

Before

gym Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment

In converting the oldest YMCA gym, all of the colors were completely revamped, and a lot of restoration occurred, but the building still contains some of the original features. The original girders are still in place, although restored and painted to match the contemporary style. Green rugs and pink furniture are mixed with the unpainted concrete floors. The rooms are a mix of vibrant chairs, covering a wooden floor painted with court lines. The whole building is a perfect collaboration of the original gym, mixed with a new contemporary feel. Now take a look at the final result …amazing !

After

2906352909 0dac4da829 o Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment 2906352867 88c3cf256a o Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment

gym apartment01 Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment

gym apartment3 Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment

gym apartment4 Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment

gym apartment1 Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment gym apartment2 Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment

Get Updates (it's free) Enter your email to get FREE blog updates

24 responses to “Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment” - Add yours!

1. October 2, 2008

Hmmm, I don´t like the design, but the idea behind it is cool.

Greets

2. hannah said:
    October 2, 2008

totally inspiring! what an amazing transformation! it’s so easy to picture a party here, or a jazzy evening by the fireplace, and i love the way the structure was incorporated! And the clean lines, recessed lighting and nooks, and the energetic colors…what an awesome place! (hope the energy costs are decent, lol) seriously, just amazing!

3. Hummus McBiscuit said:
    October 2, 2008

I’m not sure which is gayer, the YMCA or the apartment.

4. October 2, 2008

Very nice indeed.
    Wonder how long it took, and what the cost was…

5. Kate said:
    October 2, 2008

Wowww. It’s huge. The modern-clean lines-bright colors thing is not my style, but it’s still gorgeous. Love that tall, wood-covered wall in the living room!

6. Robert Frost said:
    October 2, 2008

Photoshopped, lol.

It does look a little flamboyant and homosexual, though. I doubt this was designed by a woman. I have come to the conclusion that it was done by a feminine male which is most likely homosexual since most males aren’t feminine. Therefore, I agree with the above comment. “GAY”

7. Deej said:
    October 2, 2008

No…I don’t like this. It’s a bit too ‘try hard’…a bit too thought out.

P.S. Hummus McBiscuit – Thanks, your comment made my laugh so much!

8. Nic Stage said:
    October 2, 2008

Wow. They really ruined the place. It was way more intriguing before they turned it into this minimalist nightmare. If I had to live here the only thing I would be inspired to do is shoot myself in the face.

9. Jose said:
    October 2, 2008

Hi,

The decoration fits the form of the space, however I find it a bit impersonal (sp?). Maybe it’s because of the kind of space.

Have a nice weekend,

José

10. October 2, 2008

Well i’m the owner of a construction company in Italy and I would like to find a place like that, at a reasonable price, but here a place like that in a normal position would cost 1.2-1.5 million € plus the remodeling. So I think that I prefere making five apartments and sell them separately

11. Zoltan said:
    October 2, 2008

It’s just too monstrous and not really designed very well. There is a lot of awkward large spaces and very little of it is usable on a human scale. Its like living in a shopping mall. I bet this person owns a Hummer.

12. Hans said:
    October 2, 2008

Looks like crack ,awfully so.
    apartment is gayer

13. John said:
    October 2, 2008

transforming an old industrial site like that is great but who the hell picked those colors? AWFUL DESIGN

14. October 2, 2008

WOW. i cant even fathom living in a SPACE like this…its unreal!

Jen Ramos
    ’100% Recycled DESIGNER Cards & More’
    madebygirl.blogspot.com

15. Kleetus Awreetus said:
    October 2, 2008

Yeah. That hot pink I-beam and post really sets off the big square of Astroturf.

16. hannah said:
    October 3, 2008

Okay, if i lived there, (which i wouldn’t cuz id never afford it) I would probably add lots of plants, fun knicknacks, a dog, bright rugs, bright colored dishes, glass artwork, and lots of people over. It’s inspiring because it’s only just the begining. The transformation is so much more imaginative and creative than traditional apartments. (thought granted not more economical) It’s like a room waiting for a garden to grow inside it – like living outdoors. I think the color scheme reminds me of a jungle. And why does it have to be ‘gay’?

17. hazbutler said:
    October 3, 2008

looks like a big brother set. would grow old fast with me i think.

18. dropstep said:
    October 3, 2008

ugly design but wonderful concept.

19. LilyHip said:
    October 5, 2008

Its a fantastic space gone bad! Cold, stark and poorly designed.

20. Artillero said:
    October 7, 2008

It’s kind of gay! But I loved the idea and the change.. this could inspire antoher good projects. Actually I want to do something like that but $ I can’t afford that

21. October 7, 2008

cool idea and inspiring stuff

22. Jeff said:
    October 15, 2008

Ack! It would make a good club/bar/lounge.. not an apartment.

23. Peter said:
    October 23, 2008

Yuck. It feels like a large unfinished commercial space with a few stranglely bright things thrown in (hot pink?). I don’t see myself just lounging in the living room or having a group of friends over for dinner at the kitchen bar.

There’s so much that could have been done. Wood flooring on the first level or throughout to make the place warmer and maybe an accent wall that stretched to both levels. I don’t understand the kitchen at all. They seem to be trying to make in look like an Ikea inspired bar. I wouldn’t want my fridge so far from stove and sink. I would hate to have such a bland looking kitchen. There’s no overhead shelving but maybe I could adjust to that but with such a clean surface any real life appliances might make it look cluttered. These folks needed some help. Not everything is do it yourself.

24. November 27, 2008

Jaw dropping transformation. :O

Love the attention to details, and the fuchsia painted iron beams are excellent. I wouldn’t even want to imagine what it costs to heat the place though. ;)

4 Trackbacks

1. By soheicube linkpost on October 4, 2008

古い体育館をアパートに大幅リフォーム…

数年間、廃墟になっていたYMCAの体育館をアパートにしたそうです。
    欧米ではこういった内装を含めて「アパート」と呼ぶのですが、日本ではこれは「ゲストハウス」といった方が自然か…

2. [...] Vía: Freshome [...]

3. [...] converted locker rooms of the first YMCA in the United States ( see more here ), Cindy Gallop’s “Black Apartment” was designed by New York-based creative agency “The [...]

4. By Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment – newtecture on July 6, 2009

[...] Converting a YMCA Gym into a Beautiful Apartment. [...]