Interview with Mehdi Mojtabavi - The Love Mattress Designer

Interview with Mehdi Mojtabavi – The Love Mattress Designer

In December 2007 we presented on Freshome an interesting product that a lot of people liked. That poduct is called the Love Mattress. I also liked this product so much that I’ve decided to contact Mehdi Mojtabavi, the designer of this innovative matress for an interview, and here it is, plus pictures at a higher quality, just in time …for Valentines Day …the Love Mattress.

Freshome : Tell us a few things about Mehdi Mojtabavi (example: where you live, how old are you, education, and a brief introduction for our readers).
Mehdi Mojtabavi : I was born in 1974 in Mashhad a city in north east of Iran. I graduated in BA with a degree from the industrial design course at the Iran University of Science and Technology (IUST) in Tehran. Now I live in Tehran and run my own design office, Gooyadesign.

Freshome : We love the Love Mattress. Tell us a few words about this prject and how did you come up with this smart idea.
Mehdi Mojtabavi : It was a problem for me and had made busy my mind for awhile. I believe that lovely embracing specially between partners is one of the most calmative and continues situations. Embracing and body connection after lovemaking is very important for strengthening relationships. It causes feeling safe and shows a real love especially to females. (Ref. to sexual abuse in psychology) Nevertheless, what usually stops this pleasant state is not mental tiredness; it is physical weakness. Considering different body forms and sizes and sleeping styles, it seemed impossible to find a solution for this historical problem at the beginning. Developing some raw ideas and correcting them step by step made this concept. This is what usually happens when I design something.

Freshome : We know that The Love Mattress is just a design concept right now, any chances to see the product in stores, or available somewhere?
Mehdi Mojtabavi : As you know there is a long way from conception to mass production. When a designer introduces a concept, it means there is no any similar product in the market. So you are not able to use other producer’s experiences. Mass Production itself has several steps from research to development and final engineering. Although Marketing planning can be done simultaneously, the whole process takes time any way. So be patient if you wish to have one.

Freshome : How did you get into furniture/product design? How you came to be a designer?
Mehdi Mojtabavi : From childhood I discovered my ability in art, and used to do painting, sketching, cartoon, music, and what ever I could do in that area. I even used to make some musical instruments for awhile and used to spend my weekends and summers working in a decoration workshop for 3 years. All of these were before my eighteen years old. During those years I was in love with architecture and I was waiting impatiently for entrance to the architecture academy. When I get familiar with industrial design, I found it more practical and suitable for me. Today, although I still like architecture and other arts, I love and focus on product design. I believe that product design is the most complicated field of design. In fact, more complication causes more enjoy.

Freshome : Tell us a few things about your design philosophy and process.
Mehdi Mojtabavi : I gave a hint to complication of product design. I have to mention that this complication is an internal and hidden character for a product. I believe that what should appear in form and function is only simplicity. This simplicity is based on complication. Look at our body, extreme external simplicity comparing with extreme internal complication. Even in a single part well designed product, a professional can find numerous complicated details which an ordinary user doesn’t and shouldn’t feel them.This is my main philosophy in design.But what I design usually? Apart from clients’ projects, most of my designs are about our forgotten simple daily problems which I believe, changing the world can start easily from this point. Eslimi T-shirt hanger and Easy Tape dispenser are two other my award winning concepts which show my attitude.

Freshome : Where do you find your inspiration for design?
Mehdi Mojtabavi : Nature

Freshome : Any advice for others who want to work in this domain?
Mehdi Mojtabavi : Innovation will happen exactly when you come to a dead-end in your design. When you feel you have found the solution and your mind doesn’t work any more, this is when exactly you are passing whatever you have seen or experienced before. Here is the beginning of innovation.

Freshome : How is a day in Mehdi Mojtabavi life ?
Mehdi Mojtabavi : Well, I spend most of my time on design even weekends. Of course all of my activities are not necessarily financial. I go through the design books and websites to see good designs every day. This keeps my design sense up to date. I review design article titles and read one or two most interesting of them every week. Recently I spend a few hours a week on organizing our new society called ISPID (Iran Society of professional industrial designers) which aims pure design from professional designers’ point of view, not doctor-professor-theoreticians.

Freshome : Can you share a piece of wisdom with Freshome readers? Something of value that life thought you.
Mehdi Mojtabavi : The only thing in the world which I can trust to is “Science”.

Freshome : Tell us about other projects you are working on right now.
Mehdi Mojtabavi : At the moment I am working on a competition-project for an international company. They have invited some award winning designers to participate this project.

• Mehdi Mojtabavi
  • Love Mattress
  • Mattress
  • Mattress
  • New Mattress
  • ETH

• Film Links and More « Forever Under Construction February 14, 2008 at 10:45 AMLogin to Reply →

[…] Peace Corps Writers Blog: Iran Love mattress by Mehdi Mojtabavi […]

• love matress « momeld - modern living | modern design February 14, 2008 at 19:29 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] gravity free sleep that astronauts say is amazing but it does offer a few more options. Here is an interview with the designer of the red dot award […]

• Freakin’ Cool Stuff » Blog Archive » The Love Matress February 24, 2008 at 10:37 AMLogin to Reply →

[…] Also, if you’re interested, freshome.com have a cool interview with Mehdi Mojtabavi, the designer of the “Love Mattress”. […]

• Love Mattress Designer Interview at MATTRESS Online Magazine - The Mattress Blog February 26, 2008 at 17:31 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] from Freshome design idea, fresh design, furniture product, Interesting Mattress, marketing planning, mass […]

• DailyDigital » Blog Archive » Love matress February 26, 2008 at 19:17 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] Link […]

• … Love mattress anyone??? « Short Horse Tales March 18, 2008 at 14:22 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] about your response but Mr. Mojtabavi sure is “passionate” about this product. In an interview with an online home magazine, he stresses the importance of embracing as it is “important […]

• .:: خبرنامه آریایی ::. » بایگانی بلاگ » عکسهایی از تشک عشق و مصاحبه با سازنده ایرانی آن April 5, 2008 at 20:39 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] برای خواندن مصاحبه به زبان انگلیسی روی این لینک کلیک کن… […]

• Lauren April 10, 2008 at 16:58 PMLogin to Reply →

this reminds me of a similar idea from a cartoonist…

• Jose April 11, 2008 at 20:01 PMLogin to Reply →

Hi,

Something that we all think about and only today I saw this solution.
    Great idea !

Take care,

José

• watson June 11, 2008 at 15:09 PMLogin to Reply →

well am Mr.Felix Watson.l will like to no if l can buy in sock some of the mattress to a client.l will need 20 pieces of the mattress.so l will like to no the price list and also send me the cost of the units.l will also like to no about your payment method if you accept credit cards okay.it very urgent please so l wish to hear from you soon.or can contact me on my cell phone for more business okay(+44) 07024083411.thanks

• K September 24, 2008 at 21:51 PMLogin to Reply →

interesting idea! but..
    how do you change a bed sheet on such bed?

• Somebody May 29, 2009 at 19:14 PMLogin to Reply →

I like it! No more hands and arms you can’t feel!

• spaceface May 31, 2009 at 10:43 AMLogin to Reply →

Very interesting idea indeed, I would love to have one if changing the sheets isn’t too difficult

• what January 31, 2010 at 00:35 AMLogin to Reply →

what about cleaning? that would take forever.

• mojgan August 29, 2010 at 18:37 PMLogin to Reply →

nooooooooooo, iam single.please invent The Love Mattress for singles.there is love in bed between couple with Love Mattress or without. but the people like me .what do they do???

• F@RROK# August 30, 2010 at 12:55 PMLogin to Reply →

It’s SO great I’m so proud of you IRANIAN.be innovative

• reyhaneh September 5, 2010 at 17:51 PMLogin to Reply →

that’s soooo great, I mean the person and also his idea i like or maybe love the people who works on their ideas without any fears and invent whatever they want
    the thing that seems so strange in our society
    LIVE YOUR LIFE HOWEVER YOU WANT

• Maryam September 7, 2010 at 07:12 AMLogin to Reply →

Fantastic.All of the time I have problem with my husband when we hug each other.really tnx my smart countryman.

• bahar September 15, 2010 at 04:04 AMLogin to Reply →

I am also proud of you Mehdi for your novel ideas! Congratulations!!!

• marjan September 15, 2010 at 10:20 AMLogin to Reply →

I really enjoyed to see a man like u is so innovative especially as we are Iranian and most of us ashame or don’t know how to share our love relations .this is the most important psychological problems most couples face and are not aware the necessity of having good lovemaking and importance of it in their lives.

• Mohammad September 15, 2010 at 11:26 AMLogin to Reply →

It’s so nice man!!
    keep inventing!!

• psotoudeh September 18, 2010 at 06:59 AMLogin to Reply →

very good

• shermin September 21, 2010 at 10:52 AMLogin to Reply →

OMG! good job! great I’m so proud of you…!

• pirooz September 27, 2010 at 11:54 AMLogin to Reply →

very good,I love Iran

• sima September 30, 2010 at 05:20 AMLogin to Reply →

wow. im proud of u.tanx my countryman

• Rezakhan September 30, 2010 at 08:15 AMLogin to Reply →

GREAT IDEA !
    I appriciat if U informe me weather is it applicable to give me a point of reast for the foot to apply more presure (of course for the male) during the classic intercourse ?

• niusha October 3, 2010 at 17:31 PMLogin to Reply →

I’m pr0ud 0f U,my genius c0untryman :x
    but I wish I c0uld kn0w h0w 2 buy this mattress??!!! we sh0uld g0 2 sh0ps & say d0 U have l0ve mattress??!! d0es it exist in iranian sh0ps t0day??!! :-/

• Love Mattress « حدیث ِ من October 6, 2010 at 06:40 AMLogin to Reply →

[…] Love mattress […]

• Homa October 6, 2010 at 07:10 AMLogin to Reply →

That’s graet,but plaes Patent your work.

• STYLE4 Design » カップルのためのマットレス – Love Mattress - October 19, 2010 at 16:13 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] freshome […]

• Maral October 23, 2010 at 13:33 PMLogin to Reply →

So Nice!!!!

• seyed morteza mousav October 31, 2010 at 11:58 AMLogin to Reply →

That’s graet,but plaes Patent your work.

• aida November 4, 2010 at 09:18 AMLogin to Reply →

I wish i knew, if somebody have a new idea,how can he or she say it to you?

• Alireza Zargham November 24, 2010 at 10:19 AMLogin to Reply →

Great idea. What is important in this job is not the invention itself, but the problem you found, then tried to find a solution for. I am eagerly looking to hearing from you future inventions….

• jojo December 14, 2010 at 07:14 AMLogin to Reply →

we are prefesor about this things

• Un colchón para parejas | ZonaColchones.com December 27, 2010 at 16:51 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] Imagen vía: Freshome […]

• Aproveitemos os prazeres da cama a dois « dois casados November 15, 2011 at 21:10 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] possivelmente inspirado pelas posições mais comuns de casais, o designer Mehdi Mojtabvi teve a ideia de uma cama com colchão modular (Love Mattress): pode-se dormir sobre o braço da(o) […]