Tetris Apartments

Tetris Apartments

Tetris Apartments is an innovative project completed by slovenian architects Ofis in Ljubljana. As you can see from these pictures these apartments are inspired by the well known game named Tetris. The building stands on the edge of the 650 apartments development which was finished year ago. By urban rules the block is 3 floors high and 65 meters long. Since the orientation of the apartments is towards the car road the apartment areas together with balconies are orientated to the quieter south side.

• Kevin O'Boyle October 18, 2007 at 19:46 PMLogin to Reply →

While I like the look of the buildings; I don’t really see the tetris connection.

• Drew Peacock October 18, 2007 at 21:29 PMLogin to Reply →

Yeah I don’t see it either, they are all the same shape, tetris has more than one shape, otherwise it would be boring

• g October 18, 2007 at 21:37 PMLogin to Reply →

2 words – Habitat ’67.

• Weston Campbell October 18, 2007 at 21:38 PMLogin to Reply →

@Kevin O’Boyle:

I don’t see the “tetris connection” either. I do find that if you look at the empty spaces, not the actual building, you can see tetris-like shapes… Still, this is not really impressive.

• I.P. Freely October 18, 2007 at 21:54 PMLogin to Reply →

Yeah I fail to see the tetris connection as well. While they are neat looking, I don’t see specific tetris shapes.

• Nerd Arts » Blog Archive » Tetris Apartments October 18, 2007 at 21:55 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] Link Love […]

• Feng Shui Expert October 18, 2007 at 21:59 PMLogin to Reply →

This building is built against all feng shui rules. Sharp edges and all.

• Lawsy October 18, 2007 at 22:03 PMLogin to Reply →

• Wes Frisby October 18, 2007 at 22:06 PMLogin to Reply →

This doesn’t look like tetris! Stupid post!

• Dr. Blindsy October 19, 2007 at 00:00 AMLogin to Reply →

I can actually really see the connection… but you don’t look at it in its entirety… rather look at it in blocks… and you can totally see the Tetris-effect

• rabbit the programmer October 19, 2007 at 07:43 AMLogin to Reply →

lets have mario mansions!

• Burns October 19, 2007 at 08:48 AMLogin to Reply →

It doesn’t have to look exactly like Tetris to be inspired by it. It appears to be made of lots of different shaped blocks, all interlinked like Tetris.

• N G October 20, 2007 at 08:47 AMLogin to Reply →

No it doesn’t, it appears to be three of the same Tetris blocks stacked on each other.

• Four down, one more to go! « Sylli October 20, 2007 at 23:31 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] Standing bookcase Tetris complex Sezz Hotel in Paris Small apartments Friends […]

• Tetris Apartments - Modern Apartment Design | Home Trends | Decoration | Gardening October 21, 2007 at 05:52 AMLogin to Reply →

[…] [via] Sponsored Links Related Article […]

• erin October 21, 2007 at 19:29 PMLogin to Reply →

I think they got Tetris from the way the “blocks” fit together, not that it looks exactly like the blocks in the game. Cool concept, I like it.

• Kevin O'Boyle January 8, 2008 at 05:52 AMLogin to Reply →

@Lawsy

>Its very modern, or in other words it will come to be a monstrosity in only 20-30 years. And thats not too long now is it?

I’m no fan of modernism and I understand your point. Really, it would categorize this as “deconstructionist” (which I also, generally, don’t like). My caution is simply this: It is not good to be to in love with rules and categories. Slavish devotion to them (regardless of how well founded) tends to have an insidious effect of eventually making you ridiculously wrong. Among all of Frank Lloyd Wrights brilliant ideas you will find some absurdly wrong judgments and concepts simply because he became a slave to his own (admittedly inspired and brilliant) rules.
    I lived through the modernist era and the buildings looked sterile to me even when they were new and I was gleeful at the arrival of post-modernist architectural movement. I was never surprised that the modernist stuff was recognized as abominable ( I always thought it was). You may be right about the fate of these buildings but I see a playfulness and warmth in the multiple projecting surfaces and a human scale to the architecture that makes me think it will do OK (I’m not in love with the design but I like it). There’s probably a good book to be written about Zeitgeist, philosophy and aesthetics; How ideology effects sensibilities but, as much as I’m aware of the connection I’ve never seen such a book. I’m sure that my lack of sympathy with the internationalist movement played in my rejection of the modernist aesthetic. Perhaps it is some philosophical resonance that is blinding me to the obsolescence of this design but only time will tell.

• dan hill January 10, 2008 at 16:44 PMLogin to Reply →

I totaly agree with Burn. You must also take in the account the matter of abstraction. And I went through the original source of the project
    Actually the people name this building Tetris one not the architects; so quite modest to named it after people`s choise

• Apartments on the Coast by Ofis June 24, 2008 at 11:41 AMLogin to Reply →

[…] coast” and it was designed by OFIS ( we presented another project made by them in this post – Tetris Apartments ). The striking development boasts beautiful views and makes smart use of solar shading and natural […]

• Ofis Apartments March 6, 2009 at 16:29 PMLogin to Reply →

it wasn’t designed originally to be tetris apartments, but when they developed the design a lot of people started to see the tetris connection

• Tetris 25 år! June 5, 2009 at 12:42 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] oväntade sammanhang. Här följer en snabb lista: Tetris som möbel. Tetris som case mod. Tetris i arkitekturen. Tetris som väggdekor. Tetrisvåfflor. Tetrisfilt. Tetrisspegel. Tetriskjol. Tetris Tshirt. […]

• Beware Beige « Save Our Figs and other trees in Newcastle March 6, 2011 at 19:52 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] are called the Tetris apartments and are designed by a Slovenian firm called […]