How To Create a Minimalist Home

How To Create a Minimalist Home

I’ve always been amazed by how good some minimalist houses look, and for those who want to know more about minimalist homes I’ve found an artcile on Zenhabits from where you can learn a lot of useful stuff, and create you dream home in a minimalist style. If you are not a big fan of minimalist homes just read the benefits of such a home, and you’ll become a minimalist fan right away.

1. Less stressful. Clutter is a form of visual distraction, and everything in our vision pulls at our attention at least a little. The less clutter, the less visual stress we have. A minimalist home is calming.
  2. More appealing. Think about photos of homes that are cluttered, and photos of minimalist homes. The ones with almost nothing in them except some beautiful furniture, some nice artwork, and a very few pretty decorations, are the ones that appeal to most of us. You can make your home more appealing by making it more minimalist.
  3. Easier to clean. It’s hard to clean a whole bunch of objects, or to sweep or vacuum around a bunch of furniture. The more stuff you have, the more you have to keep clean, and the more complicated it is to clean around the stuff. Think about how easy it is to clean an empty room compared to one with 50 objects in it. That’s an extreme example, of course, as I wouldn’t recommend you have an empty room, but it’s just to illustrate the difference.

If you want to know more, be sure to check the rest of the article on Zenhabits.

• Matt September 21, 2007 at 16:27 PMLogin to Reply →

Great post, I wish I could setup my space to more minimalist sytles.

Matt at http://www.goodnightmoonfuton.com

• quick links: friday roundup at materialicious September 21, 2007 at 21:53 PMLogin to Reply →

[…] zenhabits’ A Guide to Creating a Minimalist Home, via Freshome […]

• becoming minimalist May 30, 2008 at 02:42 AMLogin to Reply →

thanks. i’m in process.

• Katrina November 17, 2008 at 05:55 AMLogin to Reply →

I am following Zen Habits “15 minute rule” and starting to declutter my home. It’s amazing how much of a difference a clean, decluttered, home makes to every aspect of your life… and I am not even DONE yet. A lot of people thought my husband and I were nuts when we started this project but it’s extremely liberating (and it’s amazing how many of my friends followed suit!!) When you can walk into your home and look around and smile, it’s a good feeling. :) I recommend it to everyone. :)

• darling October 17, 2009 at 11:18 AMLogin to Reply →

hi please help me with my design class… thanx.. here’s my number: 09094360191

• Susan Stern October 2, 2010 at 17:46 PMLogin to Reply →

I’m struggling to bring minimalist decor to my tiny cape cod cottage. A difficult mix but a challenge I’m winning! Thanks for your ideas.

• minimalist home December 26, 2010 at 10:33 AMLogin to Reply →

wow … stunning bedroom,,, is there a bedroom that uses abstract art

• Leigh February 3, 2011 at 17:47 PMLogin to Reply →

Great post. I am a huge fan of the benefits of having a minimalist home. I posted recently on the subject with a few tips here: http://www.live-consciously.com/minimalism/a-minimalist-home/.

Hope it helps