Freshome

Strange Stairs

Between artistic project and design, Stair is a rather astonishing staircase created by Gabriella Gustafson and Mattias Ståhlbom for TAF. I don’t see to much people using this kind of stairs, but is an interesting artistic project. Would you use them ? – Via – TrendShow

stair Strange Stairs

Get Updates (it's free) Enter your email to get FREE blog updates

33 responses to “Strange Stairs” - Add yours!

1. Jon King said:
    June 1, 2007

This is a good way for us to reconsider things we often take for granted… very cool. I would love to see one in real life and see if it challenges my stereotypical perception of what a “stairs” should be is.

Thanks…

Jon

2. alyssssa said:
    June 2, 2007

i agree.
    this is easily one of those “i want that in my house” kind of things.

3. katie said:
    September 18, 2007

I would absolutely fall down those, but they are beautiful!

4. Doug Green said:
    September 20, 2007

I sketched this idea in 1969. the concept is that it is very steep, saving space but feels twice as shallow. I have seen it done using flat sheet with alternate “D” holes cut in it too.

5. Duain Pipe said:
    November 13, 2007

I totally agree.

My personal concept is very positive against this beautiful peice of art, yet negative as I think I might fall down them causing a loss in my steriotypicial likeness of what one might call a set of stairs. Still a very inotive idea and one i would definatly like to see in full motion in the future.

Yours truly.

Duain.

6. Vipul Pandya said:
    November 23, 2007

I agree.Space saving but might be uncomfortable.

7. elisa said:
    November 27, 2007

I have seen stairs very similar to this in a Scarpa project… I have also tried them. They are MUCH more comfortable and natural to climb than one would imagine. They almost feel like normal stairs. An incredibly ingenious way to save space.

8. Lou said:
    December 1, 2007

Great. That’s de answer to my kids energie, they wold take some time to go sleeping. Wid those stairs, they spend a lot of energie, because i’m already see them running away and getting low bateries. Lol. Any way it a peace of art, in did. Excellent design.

9. Choco&wine said:
    January 11, 2008

hi,

i am not a designer, so i will not say anything about how its design. but of course its looking interesting.

when i read the comments i ve seen that these kind of designs help us to realise our stereotypical schemas about stairs :-)

I think its one of most important thing in our daily life. cos if we could see our stereotypes about something, we can see lots of solitions about it, we can also see our way clearly.

There are lots of research about this issue in psychology literature (Kahneman & Tversky, Heuristics and Biases). it seems that our stereotypes are effecting our financial choices, our product choice etc too..and most of the big companies are using this information to sell more and more…

take care,
    have a nice day

choco&wine (u should try)

10. Sean said:
    January 16, 2008

This is a typical solution used in the construction industry for applications where space is limited. This solution is nothing more then a take on the custom solutions of early pioneers. Here is a link http://www.usmisterstep.com/mini.htm

There are many other styles on the internet if you dig around.

I would ad that this is a very artistic take on the old solution but not a new concept none the less.

Sean.

11. yodog said:
    March 26, 2008

okay- they totally rock! they look hard to climb, but okay! they look sweet!

12. yodog said:
    March 26, 2008

okay- they totally rock! they look hard to climb, but okay! they look sweet! i think that they have a nice look, though. if they save space they look totally towards buying them.

13. Sarah said:
    April 12, 2008

I love them.

I don’t see why they’d be any harder to climb than regular steps. I don’t put each foot directly in front of the other so I think this would be pretty natural.

Perfect for a small apartment, beach house, or condo.

14. enas maglad said:
    April 26, 2008

i admair your work very mush
    i can see such a wonderful effort here
    i thank you very much for enable me to see and to feel things like that becouse ican`t travel to see all these things
    so thank you very very very mush

15. nicolae said:
    May 12, 2008

Uh… They look great but I dont think they would pass any inspection process. They are a bit steap and the treads are too shallow, at least to pass here. Well on second look they might meet the criteria but I wouldnt want to try to convince the leary building inspector that they do.

16. Luke Tres said:
    August 19, 2008

Stairs look beautiful! I love the use of wood in the Scarpa-similar design. Very artistic. Very sculptural. Is there a manufacturer for these? What’s the scoop on where to buy these stairs?

As someone said before, this has been done in a Carlo Scarpa project. It’s done in his Caselvecchio in Verona, Italy. I’ve been there while studying architecture in Italy, and I have experienced these stairs. Remarkably easy to climb up if done correctly.

If you look at the bottom stair, the first tread is for your left foot and the next above is for your right foot—then left, then right etc etc. It was very shocking how easy and fun it was to climb. I went up and down numerous times, and loved it. It’s awkward if it’s done with the opposite feet.

Check out this website: http://cylynaleungswiss.blogspot.com/2007/02/feb-22-verona-castel-vecchio-part-5.html

Overall: Brilliant design by Scarpa. Beautifully artistic reinterpretation by unknown.

17. amelia said:
    August 24, 2008

Looks like a great workout! I’ll be needing health insurance first though. I love the design too. Appealing to the eye. Reminds me of something I saw in a dream once. Good work and thank you.

18. Jeff said:
    January 23, 2009

I agree with the first poster. A great way to reconsider things we often take for granted. Great artwork. As far as actually putting such a staircase in my house – not a chance – but they could be interesting for a store, nightclub, etc.

19. amuletts said:
    February 1, 2009

I think those would be a great set of stairs to have up to an attic room or something like that. Often you loose so much space putting it a room like that (because of the stairs) it is not worth it, but these must take up half the space. I can’t really think they would be more dangerous to walk on, especially in a narrow area where you could keep a hand on each wall. And they look so cool. *want* *want*

20. Michael said:
    February 17, 2009

Although there are numerous ways to design more compact stairs, and these are a beautiful example, we have a ‘sterotype’ for two primary reasons, safety and accessability. Minimum tread depths are mandated by code for a reason. I imagine my grandmother, who always uses her right leg to lift herself up to the next step, standing forlornly at the bottom thinking “Here is yet another designer creation preventing me from living an independent life.”

Beautiful concept and construction, but too far removed from the realities of life.

21. Katelynn said:
    March 19, 2009

Haha I can just see my self falling up or down them and killing my self.
    But they are absolutly beautiful.
    I would never have them in my house though haha. People will be killing them self’s and I will keep ggetting hospital bills that I would not be able to afford. But they are absolutly amazing. great idea for decoration I’m not sure about use though unless you don’t mind getting a broken arm or leg ever week or so. haha
    <3 Katelynn

22. sean said:
    March 20, 2009

Nice eco-friendly design.

23. demi said:
    April 14, 2009

what if u fall…OMG! that would hurt…big time…gosh..been there done that!

24. Funk said:
    May 27, 2009

I could see this design working nicly in a larger,WIDER, scale.
    Its a nice Idea, I like it, but It just looks way to narrow and steep
    if you miss one step you’ll be eating pine.

25. Carlos said:
    July 5, 2009

Looks quite unique, but also quite damn dangerous. I have noticed how the
    final step is normal, just as soon as your getting the hang of things, a
    bloody normal step gets you out of momentum. well thought out!

26. Shawn said:
    September 2, 2009

You need to get smarter.

27. Mia said:
    September 15, 2009

those are so cool but very weird i want one

28. Ely said:
    October 19, 2009

I just feel off my my stairs and there normal imagen those ? seems a bit dangerous but i want them !

29. Bart Groovus said:
    December 10, 2009

Those stairs are daunting…unforgiving. I do not need to climb the Cambodian wall of truth on my way to the schmeg room.

30. Dave said:
    April 18, 2010

Wow!!! Talk about a mindless attempt at design and essence…you would have to be right out of your skull to let someone put this into your home. It is dangerous and almost unnavigable and when you look at it for a while it is not even an attractive addition to the decor.

31. August 28, 2010

Unfortunately this kind of design would never make it past Australian safety regulations. Love the use of timber though. Fo the ultimate application of timber in a stair, check out this <a href="http://www.arden.net.au/Projects/Telstra-One-Corporate-Offices.aspx&quot; office stair.

32. shanneeq said:
    September 26, 2010

great way to break your neck and back. Also great for little children.

33. shanneeq said:
    September 26, 2010

2nd comment: what bothers me with some designers is that they go for unique and different, and not for practical or even safe.

5 Trackbacks

1. By 9 creative staircases « deputydog on November 5, 2007

[...] 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Filed under: architecture, arty, design, interessant, photo, technology, wow [...]

2. By 9 creative staircases on December 10, 2007

[...] 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, [...]

3. By deputydog | 9 creative staircases on December 13, 2007

[...] 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, [...]

4. By ModLife » Blog Archive » 3 O’Clock Slump on January 9, 2009

[...] to get to the gym, walk the pooch every night, sign up for the Pittsburgh Marathon, take the stairs when I can. Basically, I’m making sure I move more in [...]

5. By Tangga « Ruang Nol on August 17, 2009